1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden's 3 FT's from foul away from the ball

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cardpire, Jan 5, 2019.

1. cardpire

cardpire Member

Was that the correct call?

Anybody know the rule when there's a defensive foul away from the ball while a shooter is in the process of shooting?

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

All I know this one call will disguise that Harden didn't go to the ft line as much as he should have in the game. this is going ot be all over social media..

theimpossibles1 likes this.
  3. Rox Addict

Rox Addict Contributing Member

It was a terrible call and the media is gonna kill harden over that ! Thanks refs

amaru, theimpossibles1 and bj3175 like this.
  4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Harden should've had double digit shots from the free-throw line, but I guess when the Referee's association feels embarrassed about missing a call they'd rather swallow their whistles than try to call things more carefully...

but that still wasn't why the Rockets lost, it was mostly just missing shots.

...that was a weird call though

EDIT: That should be called a pinball foul from now on. That said, I very much doubt we'll ever see another one like it.

bro2044 likes this.
  5. cardpire

cardpire Member

over/under 10 responses before there's one that hints at knowing the answer to this. #GARM

6. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i have 2 theories:

1) tucker got pushed into harden, who wasn't able to land cleanly after the shot release -- so the shooter gets the FT's

2) callahan realized that harden had only 4 FT attempts to that point and thought maybe he had overdone the fix

7. pocketrocket81

I am not implying I know the answer but would this type of foul fall under the same premise as the Hack a Shaq. If the opposing team fouls a player off the ball under two minutes left in game then it is a free throw and ball out of bounds right? IDK it is very confusing I was just spitballing because I didn't understand it either.

8. cardpire

cardpire Member

you can't nullify harden's shot in progress because a defender fouls somebody away from the ball though. my guess is this was somehow the correct rule, but nobody seems to know.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The thinking was that PJ Tucker was pushed into Hardens shot / into Hardens landing space, therefor Harden got 3 fouls.

Now, what the ref F'd up on was Harden was completely done shooting by the time PJ hit him, and it was very soft contact.

10. Moleb

Moleb Member

Turners push effected hardens shot. It also was dangerous and took away hardens landing space. Was correct call.

Also some times on lose ball fouls that are called while a ball is in mid flight the points count if ball goes in. 3 points plus the free throws from the other player who got fouled.

I mean PJ would've shot the free throws if harden was not shooting. But since he was and the push effected hardens 3 then it was 3 free throws.

It was a dangerous play with harden in a vulnerable spot.

And if it wasn't called that way then everyone could abuse that call at the end of close games.

Example. Pistons are down by 3 points with 1 second remaining, a bad free throw shooter like Drummond set a screen on a 3 point shooter, you could essentially abuse the rule and push Drummond into the shooter. Thus never having to foul the ball handler to stop the clock, or foul in general. Then if you push Drummond into the 3 point shooter it will most likely effect his shot and will miss. Then if Drummond shots free throws the game is over because down by 3.

Overall it was right call. If it was different then teams could abuse it.

That's my .02.

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I assumed it was because Turner fouled Harden using Tuckers body rather than his own arm. Sort of like if he had thrown a shoe at Harden, it would still be a shooting foul.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. TheSource

TheSource Member

I think it was a make up call after the phantom call on capela the play before

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. bj3175

bj3175 Member

These refs are a joke. They are to inconsistent and clearlyu their is an agenda. That let them play all night clearly Turner fouled Tucker and caused the foul with Harden but to Turners point they have been allowing him to hit James straight up all night why call that

14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Why's it so hard to understand that you can't push someone into a shooter?

Imagine a fastbreak, and Steve Kerr is between you and Michael Jordan with the ball. You might want to shove Kerr into Jordan right as His Airness gathers to take flight, but that would be a shooting foul.

You might disagree that Tucker was pushed into Harden's space, but that's what they called.

Tfor3, Os Trigonum, Deckard and 3 others like this.
  15. cardpire

cardpire Member

turns out you don't understand what the rule was either.

if there's a defensive foul away from the ball during a shot, the shooter goes to the line. if the bucket was made, tucker would shoot the and-1. it's that simple.

has nothing to do with harden's space.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

It is the right call, Tucker was pushed to disrupt Harden's shot.

100% the right call.

DD

17. cardpire

cardpire Member

cool but it has nothing to do with that.

18. amaru

amaru Member

I thought Tucker should have been shooting

19. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's the right call, but you're providing the wrong reason.

A personal foul committed against an offensive player while another offensive player is in the act of shooting results in free throws. So it was Tucker who was fouled, not Harden, but because Harden was in the act of shooting, Harden gets the free throws. It has nothing to do with disrupting Harden's shot. Harden could have been on the other side of the floor and it would have had the same result.

20. cardpire

cardpire Member

are my responses showing up in this thread?