1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hardening Schools

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by rocketsjudoka, May 27, 2022.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

There are definitely politicians who advocate for this but I'm not sure you like them much (Bernie, AOC etc)

edwardc, subtomic and JayGoogle like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the title, I thought this
    [​IMG]

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Them: This is a mental health issue not a guns issue.
    Us: So, you would support Universal Healthcare .... so everyone has access to mental Healthcare?
    Them: [​IMG]

Rocket River

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

Are we going to harden malls, grocery stores, movie theaters, etc too?

Have we forgotten about the McDonald’s massacre?

Hell, could somebody not just walk into a busy airport with a bag, whip out their fully loaded AR-15, and kill tons of people within a minute before they get taken down?

FranchiseBlade, Kim, ROCKSS and 4 others like this.
  5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Its sounding like Uvalde wasn't actually observing best practice about securing the school. Should at least be a reminder to every school to take physical security seriously.

But hardened schools kinda suck. Parents are discouraged from being involved, from interacting with teachers or volunteering, just because getting on campus is a pain. But I guess that's our reality.

pgabriel, FranchiseBlade and RayRay10 like this.
  6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I specifically said pour trillions into early education and mental health.... because there is absolutely no solution that will fix todays problems. You have always been the king of trying to fix generational problem in a day. That is very myopic thinking.

Do you not understand the quality of early education is degenerating year over year?
    Do you not understand quality mental health professionals is expensive and very often not covered by insurance? Do you even care?

What makes you think kids are getting a quality education when they are being caught up in culture wars, regardless of ones beliefs, at a very early age? What makes you think kids who are brought up in bad environments are going to magically be fixed once they enter adulthood?

Im not above it. I find it incredibly stupid to have the same conversation over and over and over. Gun laws are not going to change. Its not a matter of my opinion or my belief, its simply a matter of fact.

Some of you have lived in ivory towers for way too long and have forgotten, or never experience, what its like to live in the ally.

7. Space Ghost

Agreed. I used to be one who was against it. Now I think its one of the very few positive paths forward.

JayGoogle and fchowd0311 like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It's shitty but I don't think it's a bad idea at this point.

Make sure all doors are locked from the outside during school hours, have at least 2 armed security guards on campus at all times, and have metal detectors on the entrance/exits doors, security cameras campus-wide actively being monitored.

It's the country we live in, our schools are hen houses without a door. It won't stop everything but it could stop some things.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Don’t forget music festivals, university campuses, office buildings, courthouses and police stations.

11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Mental health isn’t the problem. This is from 2018. 9 years, 288 school shootings. There is a solution.[​IMG]

12. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Or call in a bomb threat, or set off explosions outside, or any number of things to get people running…and then you have people getting trampled and a shooter can just sit outside and wait for everyone to run to them.

I mean the “one door” concept is beyond moronic to anyone with half a working brain.

13. Space Ghost

Sure dude. Guns turn people into homicidal maniacs.

Instead lets entrench ourselves into a 2nd amendment rights battle that never goes anywhere.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The fact that we're talking about this means that the people who suggest this have achieved their goal - distract from their willingness to allow children to get slaughtered in schools with no accountability for the responsible parties until the anger subsides.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Here we go... Mr. "Im an INDEPENDENT.. .so take me seriously" is now Mr. "Guns Don't Kill People... People Kill People"...

There have been numerous studies done that show that having access to a gun does make people psychologically look towards that gun as a solution to a problem. Have you neve heard the saying "when all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail"?? It's a proven psychological characteristic of access leading to higher potential of usage. If I filled every closet in my house with Heroine and Cocaine guess what... I'm probably more likely to eventually use Heroine or Cocaine, or someone close to me is likely to give it a try.

Dude your schtick has run dry. Now you are on borderline just a walking FoxNews talking point. You want to be taken seriously again... try to say something that isn't going to be the first line out of Sean Hannity's mouth tonight.

subtomic, Rocket River and Agent94 like this.
  16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Exactly, this is about GUN CONTROLS nothing more.

DD

SamFisher and Agent94 like this.
  17. Agent94

Agent94 Member

The people who block gun control also block government health care. So fck off dude. A homicidal maniac in England can’t stab to death 10 people in two seconds.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

There are mental health problems all over the world but only gun massacres in the USA....

DD

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Typical day at Elementary School USA in the not too distant future ...

[​IMG]

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just to put this topic to bed.

My wife's high school has 32 entry and exit points over 12 buildings. Every single one of them has an automatic locking mechanism, cameras, and can only be accessed by department heads that have key card entry. Only one main entry for vendors, guests, etc.

However every single year there are multiple situations where kids prop open doors, or let people in that they aren't supposed to. The teachers are well trained, the schools are hardened, and secure. Still there are always going to be stupid freaking teenagers even though most of them are pretty well trained to be suspicious. When I come to the school to go pick up my daughter if she has to go there for a bit before I get off, most students aren't going to let me in the theatre door unless they know me well.

High Schools especially are just not built to be "Hardened" targets because most high schools are built in sections or different buildings all together even though they are about as safe as you can make them.

You have to have fire safe buildings, and you cannot put a Trump Border Wall around the whole complex. Elementary schools are even more secure with typically only one major entry point with an admin check in and then you have fire safe doors and glass to get to the primary halls and classrooms. Teachers and students are repeatedly told DO NOT ever prop open a side door, and do not let anyone in that isn't your teacher, but still... kids are still kids, and the first thing that needs to happen is strike the fear of God into these kids that get caught propping open doors. They still get in trouble and still keep doing it because they are kids.

So "Hardening" the schools isn't the problem. 1000 rounds of military grade ammo is going to eventually find itself into any secure building.