1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden will be actively involved in Rockets' free agent recruiting

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by redhotrox, May 4, 2013.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We need a player in the frontcourt that will demand the ball quickly from Harden, someone that James will trust and respect.

2. Nook

Nook Member

A number of possibilities.

I am sure number one on Morey's list is Chris Paul who is unlikely to the leave the Clippers but may after losing in round one.

Obviously Dwight Howard is option 1A, and more likely than Paul. Also signing Howard allows the Rockets to move Asik while his value is very high.

Other possibilities are Paul Pierce and Kevin Garnett. Both would be excellent values for a season or two.

Josh Smith will be mentioned, but doesn't really profile well on the Rockets and is really a third best player on an elite team.

Andrew Bynum I am sure will be considered if Dwight stays in LA.

Andre Iguodala will be considered, as well as Al Jefferson at the right price.

Pau Gasol via trade and Brandon Jennings if Milwaukee chooses to rebuild.

3. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

I'm overly-analytical, but I don't think Morey considers Lin a star by any measure of the word based on tweets like these.

However, Chandler Parsons will be on that "star-level" in one to two years. Bet on it.

4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

He was talking about players they can add. Not just total on the team.... also it was sarcasm.

That being said, star or not based on popularity, no I dont think any sensible educated NBA mind would openly say that Jeremy Lin is an all-star caliber player on the court at least..... YET. I think and Morey probably thinks he can get there with some major improvements, but no he's not there yet.

However, the Rockets aren't banking on the possibilities of Lin, Parsons, or Asik becoming dominant NBA superstars enough to not go after a player thats an All Star player right now as they rightfully should.

5. kastuul

kastuul Member

CP3 and Harden can't play together.
    Our Frontcourt offense is the weakest link.

6. c2u4erm

c2u4erm Member

Maybe just me but there are two things that better stay here....
    Asik! And the up tempo/ run and gun team concept!

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Only idiots consider Jeremy Lin a "star"

8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Even if they sign Dwight, I doubt they just "throw in" Asik for a sign and trade with LA. Also, I dont think they automatically throw him on the trade block afterwards unless there is a deal out there that is too good to pass up.

What would make the most sense is for the Rockets to keep him for the time being for amazing depth at the 5 spot, and keep an eye out for a trade at a later date for an impact player at the 1, 3, or 4 spot. If no trade presents itself, you have yourself an amazing Center combo.

Also to your point, this team wants to run. Having both Asik and Howard split minutes to keep the energy level high with your bigs is very important, and really helps your and Les Alexanders want for more uptempo style of play.

9. RedDynasty

RedDynasty Member

But if we get Paul and Howard, Parsons ain't coming back unless he takes the MLE (which he probably won't).

10. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

First off, isn't great to have a guy like Harden to help Morey recruit? Maybe he can toss the iPads and just have James unleash a text campaign to bring in his all-star contacts list.

This is the most excited I've been since we won our first championship and then got Drexler. I realize we're not there yet, but the POTENTIAL this team has with current players and cap space is amazing.

Like Codman mentioned, I think Garcia and Delfino have great value for their leadership and experience on this young team. My problem is I like them both and although they both have similar traits, their differences add skills to our depth. If we can keep just one, my heart says Delfino, but my brain says Garcia. In either case I trust Morey to figure out what's best for the team.

I think what Morey should evaluate is our best team D12 and/or CP3 next year or instead continue to build our young foundation and look to play FA in 2014? Of course a lot depends on who we can attract, but then at this point last year we didn't have Harden and a budding star in Parsons.

As a fan, I'm not opposed to tweak the team this off-season and continue to develop our young talent and look to 2014 to make the big splash. A full off season of Lin working on his jumper. Asik working on his hands, post game and FTs--all which improved during the season. Seeing which young PF steps up in Yr2, my bet is Jones. Seeing if Smith can truly develop into Asik's back-up or not, given how he was exposed against OKC (and in other match-up this year) its not looking good. Chandler's continued improvement is another area I'm really looking forward to next year.

With that said, none of us saw the Harden move coming, so maybe Morey has another sly move up his sleeve that will surprise the board. I can't wait.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

A few things here:

1. Parsons contract expires in 2015. Coincidentally, that's also when Lin's contract runs out.
    2. The rockets can make Parsons a restricted FA next year if they decline his team option.

I think long term, Lin's salary is going to be given to Parsons, and Lin is going to take a paycut or get traded. Parsons gets a 4 year, $34 million contract.

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Harden can play with Durant and Westbrook but not CP3? Please explain?

2 people like this.
  14. aumate

aumate Member

Harden was actually more of a PG when playing with them, so he actually handled the ball more.

15. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Yes

No

Maybe

That's my opinion. And it's worth is ...

16. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Something bugs me about getting CP3. I guess I'm just feeling that Hardens game with him.

I'd much rather grab Howard, and say, Josh Smith. Paint is instantly almost impenetrable.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

They need to entice Garcia to come back as the primary wing backup after landing a big fish. I think after languishing in Sacramento he would take less money to play for a contender. His bulldog mentality and veteran presence are needed here.

18. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

When we get a quality pick and roll PF or C this team will be very good. A increase in productivity from Lin and Harden for sure.

19. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Everybody. Whatever team you saw on the court yesterday will be significantly better next year. The Rockets organization gave Morey a rebuilding platform a few years ago and look where it has gotten us. I have faith in Morey and even better. You give him 20+ million space to bring in a star and he will get it done and some. I don't expect Garcia or Lin to be on the team next year and maybe T-Rob as we include picks/bench in some deals.

PG: Beverly, Brooks (Staying based on the low salary)
    SG: Harden (Yep)
    SF: Parsons, Delfino (Hell yeah)
    PF: Greg Smith (Yes, but he will be included in a deal or be coming off the bench)
    C: Asik (I expect him to stay, unless we deal him in a HUGE DEAL that would net us our 3rd Star)

These are the guys i think we are holding onto as a core. Which is very, very solid. Now you add a Josh Smith, Howard, Paul etc.... and it would instantly be a top 3 team in the west. So with that being said. This rockets team is about to take us on a ride not seen since the glory days. TRUST ME. Morey has alot of tricks under his sleeve and i can't wait till July.

20. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

We don't need Chris Paul! We already have the real CP on our team!