1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden vs Klay

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by daywalker02, Apr 18, 2016.

1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

harden is going to have a MONSTER year now that he actually has a few shooters on his team.

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

#522 Mr. Clutch, Aug 15, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  3. caneks

caneks Rookie

Curry has FG% above 50, and Harden has below 45%. That is a huge gap there. Why do you think Curry and Harden are comparable? You should not blame everything on teammate.

4. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those shooters are going to spend more time in suits than uniforms

5. caneks

caneks Rookie

no one can guarantee a championship. but elite player makes his teammate better, which teammate was better by playing with Harden?

6. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Clint Capella
    Corey Brewer
    Dwight Howard
    Marcus Thornton
    Michael Beasely
    Montrezl Harrell
    Pat Beverley
    Trevor Ariza

6 of those 8 are returning

[​IMG]

Goudelock
    Dmo
    Terry
    Smith
    McDaniels
    Jones
    Lawson

Do not. McDaniels is the only one, so far, that will be back.

7. Vivi

Vivi Member

Dude, some of your posts are really turribul, just saying...i'm trying to help you...

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

OK, the Play Type stats are credited to Synergy. Thanks for pointing that out. SportsVU does all the player tracking stuff (ie defense, hustle, shot range, shot clock, how much shot was contested, etc), and I know they are breaking down plays now with computer algorithms. So I assumed they just introduced Play Types now as a new feature.

I thought Syrnegy only provided all the video clips for each and every stat...you know how you can click a box score or game log and get a compilation of every clip of whatever stat you click.

I'm sure you're right that legions of scouts can quantify the play along with editing the video into clips, all within minutes after game completion. That said, have we answered oakdogg's question? I know I didn't. I don't know how they track stats for all those play types as the play evolves into several different candidate stat entries. I did a quick check yesterday at Harden's ISO stats to see if I could reconcile the numbers to include passes out of the ISO. On quick look, it appears his ~550 ISO possessions are roughly accounted for in the FGA, FTA, And-1 and TO numbers, which means passes out of ISO might be converted to other plays.

I recall reading something on NBA's site about the ambiguity of Play Type stats wrt tracking the evolution of an entire possession, but can't find it now.

9. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

let me know who make Brewer better as his starting SG?

10. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think you have to look at Dmo's numbers from the year before.

Also anyone who would rather have Klay on their team then Harden doesn't know basketball. Klay is a better shooter from 3 point land - Harden does EVERYTHING else better. Klay's D is overrated and Harden's is way underrated.

11. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

12. Mr. Clutch

These don't appear to be adjusted

13. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

Depends on the metric you use. By raw BPM or RPM Harden easily comes out on top.

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

15. Mr. Clutch

Not really. Before last year he was generally always top 10 in both multi and single year.

He was #3 in real plus minus last year.

It just became harsh after he lost his conditioning.

16. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

I found this blurb about synergy:

So yeah, it sounds like it's a manual process.

As far as your question about situation like ISO that results in a spot up , I believe that they get reported just that way. The playtypes are recorded for each player/play type combination so there can be more than one play type recorded on a possession.

If you run ISO and end up kicking the ball to me for an open jumper, then it's recorded as an ISO for you and a spot up jumper for me.

Likewise, if you run ISO and then give the ball up and then eventually get it back for a spotup, then an iso and a spotup would be credited to you.

They are just keeping track of when these predefined play types occur. It's just a running total. If multiple ones are chained together then each is tracked. They don't just assign one play type per possession.

17. HardenTime

HardenTime Member

curry never shot 50% from the field until he got with steve kerr

18. Mr. Clutch

Lol, Curry is a 44% career 3pt shooter. Has nothing to do with Kerr.

19. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Harden is supposed to be better at everything than Curry despite a significantly worse coach and supporting cast.

These are the standards.

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

aelliott,

That blurb is for their video editing and indexing services -- their original service. don't know if those video clips are broken down by Play Type for the NBA, but rather each possession with indexing parameters for common boxscore stats per player per stat. That's the video service we see when we click the NBA boxscores/game logs.

The Play Type would be something separate from that, as those stats don't seem to have video attached to them. But I'm sure NCAA coaches or NBA coaches can buy Play Type video clips as a customization requiring some consulting on what plays they want, as motion offenses would be a completely different animal.

Regarding how each play is reported,,,when you say a Pass out of ISO is recorded as an ISO with no box stat other than ISO possession, we should see the total ISOs being much more than sum of FGA, FTA and TOs (plus adjusting for And-1s), but are they? Try the math. Count up Harden's and tell me if you see the possessions resulting in passes.

No real need to speculate on this.