1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to Morey: Get me help at guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Scrubs like Lin and Seth Curry are really not worth even talking about. Lin is a vet min caliber who can be signed if noone else wants him and Curry is at best a 10 days contract at midseason that you hope can be signed for another if he does well.
    Neither will solve any problems they will just take roster spots.

2. basketballholic

Ariza WILL NOT rebound to his 2013-14 form as long as he is the primary spot-up option on the perimeter. For Ariza to return to his 2013-14 efficiency he has to shoot a high percentage of wide-up, spot up looks, not a high volume of contested looks.

Ariza is the player that James passed to the MOST this past season. And because we didn't have a knock-down guy at the 1 or 4 who was capable and took a high volume of 3's, Trevor was forced to take a huge amount of 3's where he was defended closely and where he had to shoot off a fake and dribble....which he is not efficient at.

The ONLY WAY to return Ariza to his 2013-14 form is to open up the floor with a legit big time shooter at the 1 or 4 besides Howard so that Ariza gets more wide-open spot-up looks with no dribble where he has time to square, gather, leap and release in his own natural rhythm. That means he's got to be the 4th to 5th offensive option.

Ariza does not have nor will he ever have the ability to jack up a 3 with any great efficiency when he is contested or rushed. He's simply NOT that kind of shooter.

If we're going to improve our half-court offense to be able to compete against teams like GS and make them scramble on the perimeter and make them have to decided who to cover...then we've simply got to get a big time, high volume, high-accuracy shooter at the 4 or the 1. With DMo at the 4, it makes the most sense to have a big time 3-ball shooter at the 1. I'm talking about a guy that can throw up low to mid 40's on 3-balls where he catches and shoots in a hurry. A quick-release, high-accuracy, large volume shooter.

Troy Daniels would be great but McHale probably has to go to make that work.

Carl mentioned some others. I think all those are legit possibilities except for Reggie Williams. Reggie can definitely shoot it but he can't play the point at all. Not that the others are ace defenders. They aren't. But Williams is worse than Troy Daniels defensively so I see no reason to even go there. Daniels is probably the better shooter and defender compared to Reggie Williams.

But these are the types of guys we need to be looking at at the 1.

I'm not saying this becomes our main guy at the 1. But I'm saying this type of player at the 1 would make our starting unit electric offensively. You can bring the defense off the bench. You can never have too much shooting. And right now we don't have enough. We need 2 elite shooters. We need an elite shooter at the 1 and we need another elite shooter on the wing or at the 4. I'm talking about 2 guys that can play rotation minutes that will knock down 40+% out there on catch-and-shoots with defenders in their area. Guys that can shoot it at a high percentage off the catch OR they can catch, fake, and let the D go by, take a dribble, reset and fire...and still hit it at 40%. These types of shooters warp the floor. You can put them way out high and the D has to play them way out there or get their buts burned. That develops into pick your poison with James Harden having acres of room to operate in and Ariza's defender having to suck all the way in and leave Ariza WIDE-OPEN for looks Ariza can knock down at 40%.

Gotta get 2 elite shooters.
    2 elite shooters.
    2 elite shooters.
    Oh....gotta get 2 elite shooters.

3. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Memphis has Conley, Udrih, and Calathes. Udrih has had statistically good 3pt shooting seasons over the years except this past year (Memphis offense). Calathes I'm not too sure about. Both are offensive minded PGs if we're wanting playmakers.

I'm confused on if we're looking for 3 and D PGs or Offensive minded play making PGs (dribble drive penetrate).

Lin doesn't look so bad right now :(

4. basketballholic

Calathes is all D and playmaking. Cannot shoot to save his life. Very underrated and effective perimeter defender on points however.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

the rockets don't need the bad karma and taint from a guy who got caught juicing

6. basketballholic

If Curry is a scrub then JET needs to retire yesterday. At this stage of their respective careers, Curry is the faster afoot, quicker first step, better defender, and superior shooter/playmkaer to JET. The only thing JET has on Seth Curry is experience...also known as O-L-D A-G-E.

JET is over the hill old. Still somewhat effective throwing in a 3 now and then. But a liability on defense and not quick enough nor fast enough to make plays. I'm glad for his contributions this season but surely we won't bring him back but will instead get a better, quicker, faster, more accurate shooter to take his place.

One of those guys Carl mentioned (besides Reggie Williams), or Seth Curry or a guy like Corey Hawkins ......one of those guys should get JET's roster slot for 2015. Those guys could tangibly throw up 10 3's in a game. JET can't anymore. He's gonna be even longer in the tooth next season.

7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

8. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Seth Curry. We're down to Seth ****** Curry. Well, I guess he is a proven 50% 3pt shooter. Sure, it's 1 for 2, but who's counting, really.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Allegro is a known Lin troll. Some of you guys are still feeding him. Don't blame it on Lin. Blame yourself for ruining threads.

10. malakas

malakas Member

If the Rockets depend on Jet as their staring pg then we are screwed. Same and even worse for curry. This guy couldnt even get a roster spot in any team yet and u want him as a starting pg for a contending team like the Rockets? He can only shoot no defence and no good playmaking. Cases like him are for an invite in traning camp to fill a last roster spot not to go after in free agency. The goal should be MUCH higher than Seth Curry.

Calathes as u said cant shoot to save his life. But offers 2/3 in playmaking and defence. Should be on the radar only if all other fails.Maybe he signs fo the vet min for one year.

I think Morrey should inquire in the end about Mayo. Dont know if he is really available but he would be nice in the Rockets.

11. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

We've had the ty lawson debate in another thread and he makes too much sense. He can get to and finish at rim,he's a open court demon. He values the ball, good ft and mid range shooter. He's also a career 37% from 3. He doesnt shoot alot of them,but he's a good enough shooter when he has to. He fits the age group (27), he's a playmaker,and he's available at the right price. If it were between getting lawson and losing brewer,smith, and terry, thats just the cost of getting a all star caliber pg.

12. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

I'm more concerned about his defense, we all now he is a very good playmaker. If we can keep Bev, coming of the bench. I'm ok with it.

13. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Didn't you get banned because you straight up called another well respected poster racist for posting an ESPN article?

14. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Sorry but LluLl can't play off ball.

15. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

He plays mostly SG (combo guard) for Real Madrid. Sergio Rodriguez (former Blazer) is running the show at PG. So, I assume he can play off ball.

16. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

So you want Harden to play PG LIKE Sergio Rodriguez????

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

Rodriguez is the defacto "starting" PG for RM even though he comes off the bench. Averages the most minutes on the team and plays in crunch time. Llull playing next to Harden wouldn't be too much of a shift from his current role.

18. malakas

malakas Member

If he can play with Rodriguez so he can with Harden. I dont see any problem there.

19. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

All I'm saying is that Llull isn't a pure PG, but more a combo guard with playmaking skills. Just like Harden. :rolleyes:
    So no, Harden doesn't have to play PG. He is the one who needs to play more off the ball and that's why we need a pure PG. The most ideal PG is Mike Conley, IMO.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

He wants a point guard. We all do.