1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden to Morey: Get me help at guard

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, May 29, 2015.

1. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It's going to be a long off season

2. malakas

malakas Member

They are what they are. Career back ups most of them.
    But lets see at the assets that Houston has for trade. 18th pick in a mediocre top heavy draft . Jones who is a future rfa and his trade value is about to go down the drain as soon as new season starts unless he agrees for an extension. The ny second round pick. No significant capspace which automatically gets Houston out of the rfa and good fa hunt.
    So three b quality assets. And u want to get with them a star? Thats not enough.
    the only possibillity for a good starting quality pg is lawson because of the situation in Denver and Lowry if Casey is retained and they fight more.
    even then Houston will be possible outbid by other teams. Morrey will have to wait to see if Sacramento or Utah show interest in either of them because he cant beat their offers with such meh trading chips.

As for Aaron Brooks he was terrible in the playoffs and he got beat up by other backup pgs.

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

You have some good posts but I think you underestimate Daryl Morey a little. Maybe we won't trade for a star, but he's clever and predatory. Don't know if we'll close the gap on Golden State, but health of the team was a big factor anyway.

Hell, if the Wizards wanted Terrence Jones for the 19th pick, there's another decent first rounder. Put those with Kpap and Prigioni's waivable contracts and, say, Dorsey....if this were a three-way deal with Denver, you could manage a Lawson. Or some such deal.

Toronto might be looking to deal.

4. GottaHaveHeart

5. GottaHaveHeart

Cor-y Jo-seph, Cor-y Jo-seph!

Or

Trade for CJ McCollum via trade

6. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If your options come down to Jennings & Lawson .... You may be better off keeping that #18 and drafting a point guard.

After D'Angelo Russell & Emmanuel Mudiay there are three or four guys with solid potential who could be available @ 18.

In no particular order:

Cameron Payne
    Jerian Grant
    Delon Wright
    Tyus Jones
    Terry Rozier

Any of these guys may produce as well or better than any of the potential FA's the Rockets might be able to land with the MLE or thru trade with their lack of coveted assets (Jones , #18 & cap relief in the form of KPap , Dorsey & Prigioni).

1 person likes this.
  7. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

To be clear, I am not saying that the Rockets will not, or should not, go after those 2nd/3rd tier guys. Every team has to by necessity just to fill out a rotation and a roster. All I am saying is that don't expect the likes of Aaron Brooks and Jarrett Jack to be huge difference makers. Hell, even among the lower-priced guys there are probably better options than these two.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He would be a very good addition. Why would the Kings trade him, and that to the Rockets as a "last" piece?

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

They are not huge difference makers by any means, but it's better to have them than filling out the roster with Ish Smith. The policy to fill out a roster for necessity has cost us dearly.

Good point guards, like Lawson, Lowry, Collison, Augustin, Jennings aren't going to be easily available.

10. p10maggs

p10maggs Member

Love me some Cory Joseph, how's his defense tho?

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Harden just may have made a case for drafting Jerian Grant.

12. ibm

ibm Member

well said.

so if fa's wont solve our pg needs, it has to come from a trade then.

13. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

outstandingly good post Carl and ridiculously honest, any chance it can be required as part of the signature for 90% of posters on the board.... particularly those who think any once of criticism or review of the rockets is hating, come to realise there is never any perspective from our fans and ability to compare and contrast with other teams, cause they just don't watch them ;)

make good use of my league pass.....jarret jack is done, brooks was dreadful in the playoffs and the holiday guy in new orleans an over-rated overpaid injured PG (his brother would be nice wing depth though), actually like the corey joseph idea (Mills would also work next to beard but no way they trade him especially to us) and the CJ MacCollum one is left field but sneaky good, saw two portland games live late in the season and was impressed by his scoring and creating ability, certainly not a traditional PG, but would be interesting next to Beard and carrying second unit when beard on bench, CJ Miles has me intrigued and one of GS best moves last season was Livingston and Barbosa.... there are guys out there and I have faith that Morey will find them

14. malakas

malakas Member

I didnt say anything about gsw :confused:
    the available trade assets have nothing to do with this amazing year. They are just the "fat" that can still be shed without serious affecting the on court perfomance in search of filling the gapping hole of pg.
    glad u say washington. They are one of the few teams that realistically could give such a high first (19) for jones.

things i will be interested in the following month and that will determine which pg can be attained for the rockets in my opinion ofc.
    Will jones reach an aggreement for an extension or will he test free agency? And at what amount? What about Dmo? If yes, both their trade value will raise significantly.
    Will wcs fall to the kings or will the knicks get him at 4 as currently rumoured? If he doesnt fall the chance of a Lawson trade to Sacramento goes higher , and while it takes him out of Morreys grip it will make Collison possibly available IF he isnt sent back to Denver to fill the pg spot.
    Will Hibbert opt in or out? Depending on this it makes Indy pushed to a rebuild and open to trading Hill Or can make Bird look a trade for their 11th pick.
    Will Masai retain Casey? Will he trade Ross for Taj Gibson and not renounce all the free agents to try to contend next year that the asw is in canada?

There are so many factors still in play that can make many pgs availabke...or none at all. Unfortunately when it comes to the better names and point guards Morrey is at the mercy of other teams and must wait for their decisions. Because Houston cant be a major player this year with the assets it has.

Pgs like Aaron Brooks are a dime a dozen and can be signed for free as a last measure stop gap solution at the end of the summer if nothing else works.
    I take for granted that Llull will remain in Europe , judging from the info provided by Cyber and Sergio's latest interviews.

15. malakas

malakas Member

Cj mccollum had an outstanding playoffs this year and has made himself extremely valuable to Portland, a team that has too many free agents this year to deal with. He is under rookie contract for two more years and theres no way Portland trades him for scraps.
    Josepf is a Rfa i think and his situation as well will depend on San Antonio decisions this month. They can ask him to wait and sign him after getting their free agents targets. They have his bird rights.

16. Sanity2disChaos

George Hill, Lawson and your sleeper .....c . Joseph.

17. bmd

bmd Member

I don't know... just throwing out a reasonable name out there. Not someone getting paid big bucks. I think he's grossly undervalued.

Plus the Rockets and Kings have had a good working relationship in the past and have completed several trades in recent memory.

Just a thought.

18. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Just came across to me today, I can see Eric Gordon being a great back court partner with Harden.

My only concern is he gets injured often.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Cory Joseph is fine, but he may be out of the Rockets' price range. Being a rotation guy on the Spurs probably means some team will offer him $4M-5M/year. I am not sure I see a scenario in which the Rockets pay him that much instead of exploring lower-priced options. He is also restricted so the Spurs may well match any reasonable offer on him.

The same issue applies to any free agent, really. There will be other teams going after them and price is going to be an issue.

The Rockets' goals is to upgrade the team substantially. Given the list of free agents and guys who may be available by trade, it seems most likely that the way to do is unlikely to be adding a PG. Dragic is just about the only FA PG I see being the kind of elite "needle mover." Ty Lawson is the only really good PG rumored to be on the trade block. I love Kyle Lowry, too, but who know what Toronto is thinking.

It just seems that most of the good realistic improvement options involves adding a high-priced FA big guy (Love, Aldridge, maybe Millsap), which would leave the Rockets many holes to fill on the roster and not much salary flexibility to fill them. In such a scenario, I just don't see how the Rockets pay more than $2-$3M for a PG.

20. basketballholic

For offense, Seth Curry for the minimum.

FOr defense, Aaron Craft for the minimum.