1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden - Simmons trade

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HROZ, Oct 30, 2020.

1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

sneaky celt

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  2. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’d be worried about trying to break every facet of tempo, game management and play making into a few numbers. Ty Lawson was top of the top in these categories too.

Eye test is incredibly important here.

JayGoogle likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That’s good to hear. I’m intrigued as to whether he can set a championship level tempo with his playmaking. I find more value in that than most, and would be all over Simmons If I was confident that he could control a game.

4. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

If you think Morey leaving and putting Harden on equal footing to other plays is good for this franchise, you don't know how the league works. There is not a single superstar in the league that is not catered to. You will see soon how well Tilman telling a top 5 player in the world to "shut up and listen" destroys this franchise, if he hasn't already, when the coach, gm, two star players, and role players all want out. When was the last time you ever saw this happen to an NBA team in a couple of months time? Lebron has always gotten what he wanted, from a coach he could overrule in Lue, to making trades to fit him, it resulted in 4 championships. What happens when you don't cater to a player like the Spurs refused to with Kawhi? Well they leave and cost the franchise $500m-$1b in value and immediately gift Toronto a championship. The rockets will experience the same, and not have Pop. Kawhi and PG get special treatment relative to other players, and they absolutely should if the require it. If you have personnel that drives the progress and performance of the entire organization and they are not easily replaceable, you bend over backwards for them. This is the case in corporate America as well. If you have one guy driving the entire business and can not easily be replaced, he will get paid a ton, and be treated differently, because without him no one else will have a shot at being as successful.

5. HorryForThree

HorryForThree Member

I don't think Morey is stupid, and at some point he will have to make moves to get the sixers where they need to be. Right now, they are the same team they've been for years. 4-7 seed, 1st or 2nd round elimination depending on how things shake out. Come playoff time, they will do better with some of the additions they've made, but they will be noncompetitive against the best teams in the east (Brooklyn, Boston, Bucks) and will struggle against the rest.

6. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

The difference here is LeBron is a once and a lifetime talent that has won multiple rings, and will go down as a top 5 player of all time. Once you establish yourself as a winner you can call more shots. LeBron paid the cost to be the boss. I'm a Spurs fan too actually and for the life of me I still don't understand the Kawhi situation. I honestly just believe Kawhi wanted out to go play in LA and just found an avenue to do it. That San Antonio and Kawhi thing was much to do about nothing IMO. But the main difference between LeBron and Kawhi vs Harden is both of those guys actually won rings. Two totally different scenarios than James Harden. Houston has did way more for Harden than other teams have done for players that have won rings. This franchise has bent over backwards for James, and I think he should be a little more appreciative of that. Now I do understand what you are saying and I do agree with you slightly. Star players are going to get preferential treatment as they should, but it should still be in reason and not be abused. What you are saying is basically these NBA franchises should kiss these players asses and I'm just not of that believe if said player hasn't done crap.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  7. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I agree, and I think that Lebron not only was an established winner, but he is a basketball savant. I know Harden has very high basketball IQ, but asking for Westbrook, and not being able to make it work with CP3 proves he is not the best GM and does not see the game like Lebron does.

Htown's Finest likes this.
  8. Der Rabbi

Der Rabbi Member

Thybulle didn't play until the last minute of tonight's 6ers game.

9. Htown's Finest

Supporting Member

Good points. LeBron truly sees the game from a three dimensional angle, where as with Harden I think he only sees the game from a two dimensional aspect. The crazy thing about this is I actually like James Harden and feel indifferent about LeBron. Anyone with any basic understanding of basketball could see from a mile ahead that the pairing of Harden and Westbrook wasn't going to work. And now after we gave up all those picks and picks swaps for your buddy Russell now you want out James? That's the thing that really frustrates me the most about this whole thing. I just think Harden doesn't want to be held accountable and take ownership of his failures here in Houston, and now he wants to take the easy road out and go join another team to get a cheap ring. Initially I was under the mindset that Houston should wait, even if that meant us waiting until the trade deadline to move Harden to get the maximum amount of compensation possible for his services. Now my thinking is that of just trade this guy for a good package and be done with it. I don't see how stalling this situation gets any better for anyone involved in it.

kjayp and BallSoHarden like this.
  10. csc177

csc177 Member

lol!!!!! “ in winning time huh Morey?

Morey is pretty funny, you have to admit. This is some queens gambit maneuvering right here. Always playing chess.

you can keep Ben, good sir.

PWR likes this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

12. HP3

HP3 Member

Lmao....welll ummmm...didnt Lebron ask to play with Westbrook.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Simmons is still better than Dipo.

And new narrative is that Rockets made the trade to tank anyway.

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Sure was a lot of fellating of Lebron the savant GM in this thread. Those takes have aged nicely.

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Of course Simmons is better than Dipo..... clearly Tilman went with rebuilding with taking the picks and Dipo over retooling with Simmons.

Can't help it if you still haven't realized Tilman went with rebuilding over retooling.

16. D-rock

D-rock Member

That was not what Stone was saying prior to trade AND right after Harden trade.

Go back and read Feigan, Ali, McMahon and Iko again. It's all archived on CF.

The rebuild and tank talk did not happen until the losing streak became historic.

HP3 likes this.
  17. N2bnfunn

N2bnfunn Member

This is what I said years ago about James Harden.. HE QUIT ON US He got Kelvin McHale fired he got Dwight Howard traded he got Chris Paul traded, he made Westbrick say I am out of here and then he quit..

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

While true, has there ever been a time when a team said, “We totally made these moves so that we’d be worse and lose more games?”

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

So why are they quibbling about this then?

There was zero talk of rebuild right before and right after Harden trade.

Rockets FO chatter, especially Stone and Silas, were serious about trying to compete with Wall, Dipo, Wood and yes, even Boogie.

jiggyfly likes this.
  20. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

OUCH!

HP3 likes this.