1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden signs extension with Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by clutch citizen, Jul 9, 2016.

?

Are you happy with Harden's contract extension?

1. Yes - Harden is the franchise player.

410 vote(s)
    91.5%
  2. No - This messes up our cap situation.

38 vote(s)
    8.5%
  1. malakas

malakas Member

People can be happy but ALSO see the severe drawbacks of this move.
    Nothing is black and white.
    If you choose to believe there's nothing also negative coming out of destroying our capspace for next year then it's being naive and burying your head in the sand.

1 person likes this.
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

Don't think it's a failure to grasp something so obvious but it doesn't fuel their agenda either against Harden/FO or of acquiring that mythological player that will turn franchise around for $10M it took to extend Harden.

3. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

Without a doubt!!!

Great news, everbody. Now, let's just give the man some help. For the record, I think Morey did a great job getting Anderson Gordon and Nene.

4. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

So true

5. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

i didnt know uc an do that before ur last season. thats nearly 30m per! daaaam. i thought he'd at least wait and see how this new team does

hopefully there's a ton going on that we dont know anythign about.

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, good news for us, but the contracts we signed in these days (Anderson and Gordon) are going to be a problem next summer...especially Gordon.

7. varughese.arun

8. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

I like the move, but who are our "core"? Id like it a lot more if we werent tied to Anderson and Gordon for 3 years. We'll see how the youngs look on Sunday itd be nice if 2 can step up and contribute next year.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Well if you're thinking negative and severing drawbacks then your not a true Rocket Fan.

10. MFG16

MFG16 Member

Two things I'm pleased and somewhat surprised the Rockets have done this offseason. 1. Get players that fit the system and fit next to Harden. 2. A quick culture turnaround that I didn't think the Rockets had in them. Taking care of your star player when you could have easily waited a couple of years (with better cap space) will be noticed around the league. First time in a long time where the players have felt like people and not just "assets."

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Cap space, cap space, cap space.

God forbid we don't have cap space to give to a mediocre role player. No star was going to even consider Houston next year with the Harden situation is doubt.

This is the only chance we had to build something great over the next few years. I still don't like what the organization is doing overall, but this clearly gives us the best chance. The alternative was likely 2 complete waste seasons.

12. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Great! Now let Harden decide how we are going to rebrand this team. Time for the Harden era

13. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

This just proves that James Harden is committed to giving DAntoni a chance as a head coach. And there is a 2-3 year window minimum...

Yes while it may have taken us away from improving this current roster, it will tremendously help foster trust early on with DAntoni and Harden. I really hope this can work. I want to see a better type of basketball being played in our city. I dont think we give Harden a lot of respect (yes, even myself included). The dude really has carried our franchise for the 4 years he has been here...

This move however makes next offseason very valuable. If the Rockets can prove that they have the goods and mentality to bring it every night this season, we will have a great chance at nabbing any major free agent that may lurk around next offseason.

Our boys have to play, and Harden has to lead. The national media has crucified this guy and frankly over critical. I predict that Harden's scoring number will go down this season. However, I also predict that his efficiency and his assist numbers dramatically improve.

Go Rockets! Now lets focus and stun some folks. ;)

14. MFG16

MFG16 Member

This is just a gut feeling but I think this team has finally moved on from the "got to have a big three" mindset. I could be completely wrong because you never really know with this front office, but it feels like we're going the AI Sixers route. Harden will be the star in a system he can excel in and all the pieces around him will be compliment pieces to make both the team and Harden better.

15. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Wow! What a wonderful surprise!

16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

17. OTMax

OTMax Member

Harden locked up is cool, just disappointed with the whole talk of trades being dead now and Morey talking about contending with this roster..

18. malakas

malakas Member

This is very possible. Nice idea.
    Because forget big three even another star is very difficult to clear cap for.
    So I can see that perhaps that's the new path they have decided to take.

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Brace yourselves

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/raq-6TqJoGM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Can't understand why people think capspace is so important, moreso than creating a stable organization for once.

1 person likes this.