1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden or Paul George?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SidDaKid, May 12, 2013.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I give credit to Harden for going to one of my favorite YouTube fitness guru's Mike Rashid. Just looked at my instagram and he's there training. He gonna juice

2. jbasket

jbasket Member

Are people not born with the ability to play better defence? In addition, there is a lot of instinct to defence as well.

3. TheJet

TheJet Member

You're absolutely right. Anyone can learn practically anything if they apply themselves. As a former teacher I fully believe that and have seen it first hand. But the natural innate ability cannot be ignored. Those phenom kids are getting coverage because they're special. For example, if you take 10 random children of the same age and train them via the Suzuki method, the one with the best natural ability will probably stand out. That's assuming all other factors are equal (work ethic, hours spent practicing, etc). That one kid had the advantage, all else being equal.

Think about it like a car race. Let's say you and I are equally skilled drivers but you have the faster car. If we both take a driving course, develop our driving skills and improve on exactly the same scale you're still going to have the advantage.

I'm not trying to discount how huge talent development is. On the contrary, at the pro level EVERYONE has natural ability. It's the coaching, development, training, work ethic, et al that separates the great players.

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

5. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

They absolutely have instinct like Hakeem being able to time blocks better than anyone and Dwight's ability cover for others weakness. Dj Jordan is a bigger freak than Dwight, is a great shot blocker and rebounder but he's still. It near the defender Dwight is now not to mention the Orlando days.

But defense like offense can be taught I'm not expecting harden to be 1st team all NBA but I do expect him to put in effort and understand the schemes. If he just does those two things with his size length and athleticism he would actually be a damn good defender. He understands the game and has high bball iq from everything we've heard from teammates here and okc is that he's a great teammate and leader. I don't think it's out of the norm for a young superstar to have the issues harden is having. He's not giving full effort and still producing higher than all but maybe 6 players in the league at age 24 so yeah this playoffs was a clear wake up call the every great player has. If harden is as dedicated to the game as coaches and teammates say then I expect him to have his best year as well as the Rockets next season.

But to say harden doesn't possess something special that other players don't have is silly because according to a lot of ppl he doesn't even try yet ends up 1st or 2nd team all NBA most likely plus he was 25 5 and 5 two yrs in row 60% ts top 5 in win shares back to back seasons. (Only Lebron and KD have done that besides harden) dudes a stud and can be as good as he wants to be it's just a maturity thing. But in all honesty with the Paul George thing, PG can only dream of putting up harden numbers the past two years, and then also take into effect that harden last two seasons were at 23 and 24 yrs old not remember that he's at least 2 more years away from starting his prime.

6. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

1st team all NBA defense*. I absolute expect harden to be 1st team all NBA this yr. and 1st or 2nd team all NBA the next 8 yrs.

7. jbasket

jbasket Member

I am not following your argument, unfortunately.

8. Midrangej

Midrangej Member

I would take Paul George...

Harden is a stud in regular season and a bust in the playoffs....

PG fits in better with Dwight, as he'll play some defense....

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Cool story, brah

10. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Fraud response.

Let's break it down, if you're not scared and butt-hurt.

The bolded said nothing false. So why the dishonest response?

Poster gave credit for Harden being good in the regular season, then falling off in the postseason. Overall Harden has fallen off in playoffs. Has he never performed in the playoffs? NO... but overall he hasn't. His defense mostly sucks. Does that mean he can't improve? NO... but as of right now, overall, he's an embarrassment.

The non-bolded is more questionable, so not gonna argue that.. but you know full well that post on whole wasn't "cool story".

I still lean Harden>George slightly.

11. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a better idea. Let's get both! Dwight Paul George Harden big three.

12. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Here's a better idea. Let's get both! Dwight Paul George Harden big three.

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Buena historia, Chico

14. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You're welcome, sir.

15. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Given this thread, it is ironic that both players were involved in the early 4Q scrimmage play where PG suffered his horrible leg injury. Speedy recovery for him and thank goodness Harden wasn't hurt!

16. DreaMac

DreaMac Member

Really? You are going to revive an old thread like this that would just never die just to post this reponse? Couldnt you have posted this in the Paul George injury thread?

17. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

Really? YES. Wow, you don't like that I bumped it - so you bump it again? Wow.....really? Get off me bro. The last post was from June of 2014 not from last year. I immediately thought of this thread after the injury and thought it was ironic and THUS posted here. I did post in the PG injury thread too. F'n post police.

18. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Too soon. Lol

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

i·ro·ny1
    ˈīrənē,ˈiərnē/
    noun

the expression of one's meaning by using language that normally signifies the opposite, typically for humorous or emphatic effect.
    "“Don't go overboard with the gratitude,” he rejoined with heavy irony"
    synonyms: sarcasm, causticity, cynicism, mockery, satire, sardonicism More
    antonyms: sincerity

a state of affairs or an event that seems deliberately contrary to what one expects and is often amusing as a result.
    plural noun: ironies
    "the irony is that I thought he could help me"
    synonyms: paradox, incongruity, incongruousness More
    antonyms: logic

a literary technique, originally used in Greek tragedy, by which the full significance of a character's words or actions are clear to the audience or reader although unknown to the character.
    adjective: dramatic

20. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'll take harden.

He has 2 legs.