1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden or Paul George?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SidDaKid, May 12, 2013.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

So we're going to dismiss what George is doing because he "regressed" once? I give him the benefit of the doubt because even after that freak injury he's producing/trying/playing like he has something to prove. If he goes back to being what he was two years ago, sure, tmacfor35 and you and others called it. But just like I'm sure there were skeptics last year with Harden, I'm not going to use the argument of regression to dismiss what George is doing

2. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

George isn't a post player.

He takes guys on the block, but he is a perimeter oriented player.

Look at the best players in the past. Above average ball handlers at their position. It is important to create.

George doesn't possess those abilities.

All-star player, but not a super star.

James Harden is a superstar.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

Just saying but if your're going to call PG a non post player. the same goes for Harden.

4. sew

sew Member

The advantage PG has on the defensive end is far greater than any advantage Harden has offensively.

5. JHL85

JHL85 Member

LOL, wasn't the comparison dismissed last season?

6. Ns575

Ns575 Member

"PG isn't a superstar"

uuuuhhh

Did you not see what he did a few years ago, every playoffs VS LeBron and the Heat?

Obviously he had the leg injury. But it's clear the dude can still play

7. tmacfor35

Small sample sizes :grin:

Kelvin Cato in the preseason anyone.

He was borderline awful after a hot start to the 2013 season.

You should revisit this thread. The Harden haters got absolutely burnt to a toast by season end.

8. tmacfor35

Interesting, because I disagree.

Harden is much better at drawing free throws and assisting teammates.

Stop posting like a scrub.

9. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

PG is a monster. Would gladly take him over Harden.

10. tmacfor35

You are seeing his peak offensive out put right now.

As I mentioned.

Name me three players who improved there lateral quickness and ball handling later in to their career?

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Defense alone you take him over Harden. He wants to guard Lebron and Durant. Harden probably doesn't know who his defensive matchup is.

12. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

He can still add to his post game. He has the height and strength to do so.

13. malakas

malakas Member

Uhm sorry but it's not only two categories of players in the league. Guards and Post players. There are also combo forwards whose job is to do exactly what PG is doing. And stop comparing superstars from the past when glorified chuckers were superstars based just on raw stats and hardly played any defence.

So it's either Harden or PG a superstar in your mind. They can't BOTH be.:rolleyes: One has to hate Harden to appreciate PG.
    Ok buddy.
    Also your dismissal of defence and equating the ECF with PRESEASON is comical to say the least.

14. malakas

malakas Member

if Harden is that good at assisting teammates A SUPERSTAR as you say for creating for others then why he can't play pnr with the other star of the team Howard?

15. tmacfor35

I have been very critical of Harden this season. I don't respect him as a player.

I am a realist though, I wont dismiss last season and the year before. He is clearly a superior player and I will not fall in to the trap that this thread was a few years ago.

Harden is a better overall player and is light years ahead of Paul George offensively.

Defense is a team concept in the NBA. Much more so than offense.

I appreciate both players, but I don't like PG's lateral athleticism.

It is why guys in the NFL that are straight line gunners like Tedd Ginn Jr and Jacoby Jones aren't stud receivers. Can't move left and right very well. Straight line special, but in regards to the NBA there is more to it than being able to jump very high.

16. tmacfor35

Harden played it very well in the playoffs, but teams are collapsing with the 4 man to prevent that play.

DMo will enhance that PNR play.

Plus with Harden he is one of the few players in the league who can take his man ISO almost every time.

It is a smart play to not get doubled up top.

We don't have the talent on the Rockets to pass out of a double and let someone other than Harden beat you.

Lawson was supposed to be that, but he has thus far been a shadow of his former self.

17. tmacfor35

I actually agree that he could.

Wait and see approach here.

18. malakas

malakas Member

You shouldn't dismiss last season. That's why in my post I said SO FAR. I fully expect Harden's offensive game to come back. However NOT appreciating and recognising PG for the way he plays right now and calling everyone who does a Harden hater is very wrong. He is right now playing at a top 3 level no kidding. Without him his team would probably be seed 13.

And Im sorry but the reason that you think that offence is not a team concept is because you have been used to a full iso team with minimal ball movement. Not to mention that no matter what you do a bad defensive player is a bad defensive player. And we aren't just talking about a bad defensvie player this year, we are talking about a player who doesn't even care. Enes Kanter cares more for defence this year so far than Harden. It is what it is. Absolutely no hating in saying it just the truth.
    And defence matters individually as well too. If your team just is based on team defence without one ELITE individual defender who are you going to put on Lebron in the playoffs? The Pacers can put PG on him and be hopefull that he will be contained somewhat. The Spurs can put Kawhi. You see elite individual defence matters and it matters a lot.

PG also completely lost last year. It's unfair to judge him because of that and dismiss a potential improvement in his game that may have happened last year too without that freak injury. You expect PG to remain exactly the same as two years ago? Harden improved last year, why can't PG improve too THIS year?

I see Harden just fine doing it with Capella all the time but not with Howard. And you know what..I think what you are writing are excuses and I think you know it too. He simply doesn't want to play the pnr with Howard and there's no way around it. It shows in the court.
    So the great player who makes everyone around him better, can make Capella better, can't make Howard better smh. I wonder why.

1 person likes this.
  19. tmacfor35

When Paul George's shooting percentages go down(which they will) we can revisit. They will.

With the PNR, individual defenders can be switched any given play. Steph Curry is atrocious defensively, but is hidden every night by GSW's firm commitment to team defense.

Defense is also very much a contagious aspect.

Paul George hasn't added anything extra to his game. Same ball handler, he did this in 13 what he is doing now.

I am skeptical of him until he does it for a season which he has yet to do.

Can't instantly throw him in to the elite class. I don't hate either player.

I just think one is a much better player offensively. Paul Georges FTA are 4.2 a game. With that much usage, it tells me he isn't beating people off the dribble.

He needs to improve that to move himself up as a player.

20. valorita

valorita Member

Paul George has the "IT" factor...
    Both the drive and the willingness to put in the work/sacrifice to get him to maximize his potential.

James? He seems to be more interested in his brand ala Melo.