1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden open to being traded to contenders

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I don't see that team fighting for homecourt at all, I don't think they would make the playoffs unless Simmons improved (which is possible). I do agree with you that Simmons/Wood/Thybulle would be an exceptional frontline, especially defensively.

Rudyc281 and treyk3 like this.
  2. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Honestly, I hope we don't have to find out.

I want Harden to be here and be happy.

We won't get a player as good as him for decades.

s3ts, Deuce, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  3. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

Hey let's trade him for a washed up injury prone PG and a conditional first round pick! Scratch that... two picks.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Perspective for Rockets fan is warped because they have had Harden....

Just consider....... imagine you are a team with a lot of depth and good but not great players, and you lose in the playoffs to a team with great players.

Then a player that has averaged: 30/8/7/2/1 over the last 8 seasons, and is only 30 years old becomes available in trade.... and has averaged 35/8/7/2/1 over the last 2 seasons.....

Do you know how many players have been traded coming off that stretch of play in NBA history? NONE.

The closest that I am aware of that had similar type numbers was Kareem Abdul Jabbar..... and he won titles after traded...... the next closest? Moses Malone...... and he won titles.

So yes, the Nuggets would deal really good players for one of the best players to ever play, while in his prime still.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The reality is it could be longer than decades... we are all jaded.

For his nearly decade long career as a Rocket he has averaged 30/7/8/2/1

Deuce, D-rock, Patience and 4 others like this.
  6. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Denver is a contender that has great pieces. Last year, MPJ was only a part of the bubble, but prior to that, he didn't even have that big of a role. He was effective during the 8 game RS, but when the playoffs rolled around, he wasn't all that great. Definitely has potential, but does Denver want to wait? Maybe they do, you and I don't know that.

Harden replacing those two, I can't imagine Denver not entertaining the thought. The question they have to ask themselves, how close are we to a championship? They have great complimentary pieces to Harden and then they have Jokic who can play slow like Harden. Denver would be instant championship contenders with Harden for two years.

beardsanity713 and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. icewill36

icewill36 Member

Denver just went to the WCF with porter BARELY scratching the surface. there is no way in hell they trade both of them.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. treyk3

treyk3 Member

decades is infinite.

D-rock, Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. Sanity2disChaos

Hockey assist his butt to another team for a player that actually fits might be better.Him and Wall would be worse than Harden/WB . I don’t trust our front office draft decisions. I think I SF/SG

10. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

this is too good to be true for the Rockets. So it won’t happen!

D-rock and ElPigto like this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Personally, I have no clue what deals are out there and which teams are entertaining the idea. I am throwing out ideas out there because I'm resigned to the fact that Harden is not happy here and wants to leave. I don't think my idea is as far-fetched as you think and I certainly believe you are overrating the players that Murray/MPJ are at this point. The potential is certainly there with MPJ and Murray. Murray showed up big in the playoffs, so I understand why you may feel the way you feel, but we don't know if Murray is going to be franchise good for the rest of his career.

If Houston calls Denver and proposes that deal, if I were Denver I'd certainly be ******** bricks not knowing what is the best option. MPJ has potential, Murray is certainly going to be an all-star in this league. James Harden is a generational talent still in his prime that makes anyone around him even better. The only issue, James is 31 and may only have three years left, as opposed to Murray and MPJ that have several years left.

There is obviously a lot to weigh, but don't come in here and say, DENVER WOULD ABSOLUTELY NOT DO THAT DEAL FOR TWO GREAT PLAYERS lol. Geez.

12. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Imagine how stunned CF will be when MPJ or Ben Simmons arrive and aren't able to average 30 points and 8 assists a game, single handedly carrying the team to 50+ wins and deep into the playoffs every year for 8 straight years.

We take for granted what a great, durable, and consistent player Harden actually is. Just having him on the team is guaranteed playoffs. Not many guys can say that, even LeBron (see 2019).

Nook, D-rock and ElPigto like this.
  13. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

If were up to me, I'd want Harden to retire a Rocket. I wouldn't even try to rebuild until he was ready for that stage. It's criminal that Harden is not going to retire a Rocket, despite him coming up short for a championship. It's crazy, but I'm willing to ignore the big picture, because I rather have Harden for the rest of his career rather than sell high on him.

abaker28, Patience and D-rock like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

And don't forget Kareem won a title for Milwaukee before making his trade demand.

I can't remember an instance of a superstar traded for players where one of those players became a star after the trade. Not counting draft picks who became stars, but a trade piece acquired in a superstar trade who subsequently raised his game to superstar level.

That's why you never trade a superstar unless you're getting guaranteed top draft picks back along with other talent.

#554 topfive, Dec 9, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Nook and D-rock like this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would keep him.

Those top 3 picks bust more often than they break out.

Simmons is proven All Star and has improved TS every single season.

Everyone is FRP crazy.

JumpMan likes this.
  16. D-rock

D-rock Member

Stupidity is too.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Bullseye!

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

I think the Nuggets might be fine with staying pat and not making a big trade, their team is the youngest between the contenders so, they might actually get better by just staying as they are.

At the same time i think some of you here are really overrating Murray and Harris, one is a poor man Irving (with more brain to be honest, but also with less talent), the other is a solid 3&D with no upside left, i don't really know what's Porter's ceiling, but if Denver thinks Harden can work with Joker i see no reason why they wouldn't move those guys for Harden, if they don't it's not because they think their players are too good, but more cause they don't think Harden is a great fit and/or he'll commit to them.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Vivi

Vivi Member

Hope you don't mind if i repost it here @Deuce more people will likely read it in this thread, thanks for posting again.

D-rock, mikol13 and Deuce like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Sure, thanks!

Vivi likes this.