1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden MVP watch 2018

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jayfree, Nov 15, 2017.

?

Who wins MVP 2018

1. Harden

2. Giannis

3. Durrant

4. Curry

5. LeBron

6. Westbrook

7. K.Irving

8. Porzingis

9. Wall

10. Refs

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Reposting here since it's the most worthy thread:

Nothing against Dame, but like others said he should be considered for the runner up eventually, no one in on par with what James did and is doing this season for his team, the media are just trying to find every possible name out there to have a discussion while ignoring the fact that we have a better record than "the best team ever" and ignoring the fact that we had plenty of injuries this season.

It's also funny the argument "little help" for guys like Lillard and Davis when they're playing with borderline all stars like CJ, Holiday and talented players like Nurkic and Rondo, last season i heard Harden wasn't as deserving as Westbrook cause he was playing with Gordon and Ryan Anderson...****ing lol.

BigMaloe, chadyang and jayfree like this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

3. jayfree

jayfree Member

I dare to say that this MVP race is done. They can say all they want about Lebron, AD or even Dame but there is absolutely no way that Harden doesn't win it this year. It's too bad that we have to wait until after the Rockets win the NBA finals this year to officially find out! :)

4. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, this is a wrap, the media and the vast majority of fans have conceded that Harden is the clear MVP and it’s not even close

I wonder if anybody on here still thinks that Harden won’t win this year due to media agendas/politics/conspiracies

chadyang and jayfree like this.
  5. s3ts

s3ts Member

Guys, I don't care enough to start a new thread, but...

Is this really Harden's best year? Is it me or was last year's Harden more impressive?

Is this a make-up MVP for mistakenly giving it to RW last season?

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

His defense is much better this year. Hell, his offense is much better too. Way deadlier with his off-dribble shooting. He's a bit healthier too. He looks SPRINGY out there.

D-rock, Scarface281 and hakeem94 like this.
  7. BMoney

BMoney Member

I think James is playing better defense this year.

8. s3ts

s3ts Member

I agree w/ the defense part. I dunno about the offense. Judging by his PPG, yes, but my eye test tells me he isn't as great this year. Possibly because he's kind of turning more into what he usually is, an off-guard. He's had the greatest triple dub this season, but he was averaging 10+ assists last season. Although his TOs also were career-high.

9. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

this is all fine but i want for harden to win it again next year as well

s3ts likes this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

I can already see idiots on ESPN saying "well, Harden already won last season..." lol

Reeko, s3ts and hakeem94 like this.
  11. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

There is almost literally nothing you can do with Harden when he hits over 4 3's a game like he does now. The playmaking was great but as you said it did come with a lot of TOV.

Still, it's just way more difficult to guard Harden as a team when he can go Curry mode on you. Team have resorted to TRAPPING him, in this offense with so many good play finishers. That is insane. It's perpetual suicide, but it is something coaching staffs around the league have seen as the best way of guarding this guy.

BigMaloe, D-rock and s3ts like this.
  12. s3ts

s3ts Member

He averaged 1.3 more TO, but he averaged 2.4 more APG. If you can get enough possessions, last season's Harden is a bit better offensively. Defensively, no comparison. But last year's roster was very different too.

I mean, the dude carried the team to a 3rd seed. I actually think he deserved MVP more last season. And now people are all saying Harden has locked down MVP, and they don't even really talk about why other than the success of the Rockets. I just find it ridiculous.

LorneMalvo likes this.
  13. durvasa

durvasa Member

Why are you ignoring his scoring? Assists are not a good guage to compare effectiveness from one season to the next. It’s highly system dependent. His passing is better this year, IMO, because he’s more controlled.

As for the voting, team success and individual numbers are the two dominant factors in voting, and for both he’s had a better year. It’s pretty straightforward.

#533 durvasa, Mar 12, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2018
  14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Also Raptors showed a new wrinkle by sticking like glue on perimeter and keeping center in the paint on D. Force Harden and Rockets to 2ball and move to get open.

15. s3ts

s3ts Member

That's an eye-test, saying his passing is better this season. Numbers show his passing is better last year. All but AST/TO ratio, which was only 2% lower. He was a true PG, the first and the last time he's ever played the position. And he led the team to a 3rd seed w/ basically no help.

Yet, RW won the MVP last year, so the first dominant factor you list there is out of the picture for me. I'm not getting fooled twice on that ever again.

So now it's down to his individual numbers. And no, it's not because he's simply averaging better numbers than his own numbers last season. It's because of his individual numbers this season compared to others' this season. Take a look at those numbers, and let me know if you think Harden deserves to be called a "lock" for MVP.

16. durvasa

durvasa Member

Not going to get into whether he’s a lock. Who knows with some of these voters. And weird stuff can happen to end the season.

But looking at his statistical profile relative to the field, and comparing that to last year, it’s pretty clear to me that he’s having a better statistical year. And I think he has settled into a more natural role for him this season as a combo guard rather than a point guard.

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

MVP all about about success/wins or stats/trip dubs???

18. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

this is his best season

Reeko likes this.
  19. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

because Chris Paul is in the team now. When Paul doesn't play, he would average around 10apg

also turnovers per game don't tell the whole story because his turnover percentage is low.

20. Reeko

Reeko Member

I can see it too, but I’m good with him just winning one, I’m not greedy lol

after he wins this year, I don’t think I’ll care about this MVP stuff anymore

Vivi likes this.