1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden media flip

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RoyalGuard, Jan 17, 2021.

1. s3ts

s3ts Member

It's freaking mind-blowing that me mentioning vagina has you thinking it's a sexist comment, when in fact it's criticizing the gender nazis out here (YOU) trying to make everyone else think Doris is doing a great job.

Proves my point, all you care about is gender.

2. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My interpretation of the narrative is that this team compliments Harden's talents better, allowing him to settle into more of a facilitator role that will allow him to be more successful down the road (less pressure on him to do all the scoring against set defenses). I haven't really heard people, at least in the media, argue that Harden should have been playing like this in Houston. Maybe I missed it.

3. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

The ignore function is one of the best things about Clutchfans.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  4. durvasa

I'm really not interested in arguing with you about Doris Burke's basketball commentary. But your statement that you can't criticize her on this forum without being called a sexist is just wrong. You absolutely can. Just do so without focusing on her womanhood. The attitude that people can only disagree with you because they are "gender nazis" and Burke is a woman, if that is really your thinking, would be pretty sexist.

5. s3ts

s3ts Member

^^^ that's the point I'm making, it shows your bias.

That was MY point that I was making to criticize YOU. ... That's the point I've BEEN making. That's the point I originally made but you can't fathom it because the word "vagina" has you losing your mind.

6. s3ts

s3ts Member

That's not true. The media has always been sucking up to a handful of franchises, and they all also have ties to the current "best" basketball player.

7. s3ts

s3ts Member

Only problem with this theory is that Morey went to the Sixers. Does that mean the Sixers are doomed to lose?

D-rock and Rocket River like this.
  8. s3ts

s3ts Member

You missed it. ... A lot of it is in this thread. Plenty of media saying he's a more willing passer now, doesn't dominate the ball as much. Apparently he's more "fun" to watch because of that. Which means they think he should've played like this in Houston.

9. durvasa

So, have they actually said this, or are you just inferring it? Because from what you describe, that inference doesn't logically follow.

10. durvasa

Or that I don't care enough about it to argue over.

I don't think I've called anyone a sexist simply for criticizing Doris Burke. And the other guy you were blaming for this, @Will, literally said he's fine with people arguing that she's bad at her job.

Of course it's possible to dislike her commentary and not be sexist about it. I've haven't encountered a single person who thinks otherwise, so what are you complaining about?

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Whether Harden is playing differently or not, playing better than he was in Houston or not, his MVP candidacy and media affection is justified.

Just based on performance, nevermind aesthetics.

joshuaao, Reeko, Rocket_ph and 2 others like this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you mean they media picks the teams in the biggest media markets?
    they are a business, they are there to make money.

you don't have to believe me but when Stephen A and Cowherd blow by you with their Ferraris, let me know how much a newspaper 'media' guy makes.

13. bmelo

bmelo Member

I mean its true. I see that Kellerman smirk everytime hes cappin

tinman likes this.
  14. s3ts

s3ts Member

D-rock and durvasa like this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

he's living the Dream, yelling all day and not having zero consequences for bad predictions.

there's an obvious narrative too.

very blatant too

16. s3ts

s3ts Member

Yeah, that's generally what I mean by "that's not true" to your statement:
    "The media doesn't hate anyone, they pick and choose the story lines for which SUCKERS would start jumping up and down about."

The media clearly "hates" the other majority of the franchises that aren't major markets.

To be more thorough, the fandom for the Rockets is literally garbage. So the media hates the Rockets quite a lot.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

they don't hate us more than they hated Zion going to New Orleans

18. s3ts

s3ts Member

Can't argue w/ that. I'd argue they want Giannis out of Milwaukee for the exact same reason.

Also, nobody likes going to Detroit.

I honestly don't know who else wanted to spend more time in Cleveland either.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I think there is an important nuance left out in this discussion - THE MEDIA ARE THE BIGGEST BANDWAGON FANS BY DESIGN.

....Harden is playing a team that appears to be on cruise control to win a title? WE LOVE HIM - MOST FUN I HAVE HAD WATCHING BASKETBALL SINCE THE LAST SUPER TEAM DESTINED TO GET A RING...BLAH BLAH BLAH

We all hate the guy who perpetually wears Yankees or Lakers clothing but who don't follow the sport but the media wants that dummy to watch their programming, visit their websites, etc - real fans are outnumbered by fake fans and advertising is about the numbers. "Narrative" is even more shitty than you guys realize because it never had anything at all to do with Harden as a basketball player or media favoritism. It's just a simple formula of which narrative gets more page clicks/views and Harden's team is probably going to be on TV more and followed by more casual fans than any other team so they gotta stoke interest in him. It's sad really.

Just rename this thread, "How the bandwagon fan changed the legacy of an elite player without even watching them play"

20. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Nah bruh. He already got his punishment. Tillman is gettin his now. There's more politics in sports and everything now than you think. This didn't just happen this year.