1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden disinterested and at half court when Chris ran the offense

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LosPollosHermanos, May 25, 2019.

1. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Gotta say, I noticed this...

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Doesn't deserve clicks. Just Jalen acting like he knows something others are denying.

Summary: Harden was exhausted to death on 2 plays, Paul was frustrated about it, Jalen making it seem like Harden doesn't care about winning.

3. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Harden has really stepped it up and was much more active on the defensive end. But he really does do weird enigmatic things like this. Always has to keep everyone guessing at what's going on in that beard.

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Stop digging your head in the sand. This happened all season long and for the last 5 years

T for 3 likes this.
  5. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He's just not a drama queen and he is insecure about showing weakness. He is exhausted. If he pulled a Lebron and was huffing and puffing like crazy and grabbing his hamstring as if his leg seized up maybe people would get off his back.

There is a price to pay for shouldering a crazy amount of contested shots and minutes at high efficiency plus playing good defense against 2 of the top defensive teams in the NBA. There are no basketball players with that kind of endurance.

#5 Mathloom, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
  6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Jalens insider info is that James doesn't like moving off the ball. Weve known that for years.

7. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Of course it did. Why wouldn't Harden rest on plays? I've seen Lebron James, Kevin Durant do it. I'm watching Giannis going up weak. Why wouldn't this happen?

Your head is in the sand if you think this team's problem is that Harden needs to do more. Let him join a superstar team like the players you must think have "it" and see if this is a problem lol.

Here's what it looks like when other players do it:

[​IMG]

BigM, vinsensual and RCPM like this.
  8. napalm06

One might be inclined to say we shouldn't be running a system so reliant on one player.

payaso, ak99999, burlesk and 10 others like this.
  9. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Agreed, but Chris Paul is still not going to become Steph Curry or prime Dwayne Wade.

payaso and mike2k132 like this.
  10. napalm06

I just finished watching and I can't really disagree with Jalen here.

Harden is an MVP player and we have to build around him. But he can walk/stand in areas better for spacing, instead of making Paul's plays run 4-on-5. He still has gravity.

Of course this also ties into the issue of D'Antoni only playing 7 guys.

ilias, burlesk, Supamanu and 4 others like this.
  11. ksny15

ksny15 Member

The walking the ball up the court and not trying on offense when Paul has the ball would get to me as a player aswell. It becomes 4 vs 5.

Harden isn't tired. It's just what he does. Won't win a ring like that

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It really frustrated me on a legacy defining game the dude was pulling a "Mcgrady Toronto game" for multiple possessions. It was so off putting. Does Harden lack basic levels of self awareness?

13. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I love that is is becoming a talking head story now. Many of us have been talking about it for a while now on here. Harden acts like a child when he does not have the ball in his hands. Doesn't move, doesn't cut doesn't even spot up. If Paul wants out eventually if Harden doesn't change he will NEVER win a ring and another star will not play with him. I've said it a lot. I love James but it could be hard to be his teammate with his lack of effort

14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Yes he can do that better, but we should be able to win without him doing that 1 or 2 times being the reason we lose entire games.

If I'm Harden or his agent and I have the team telling me I'm not doing enough, I'm leaving to join another superstar. I know the fan reaction is typically "well F him them" but that is childish. Any player they would consider better than Harden today either doesn't have a ring or has had better sidekicks.

Everyone can do better. Michael Jordan can do better. Danuel House can do better. Tom Brady can do better. Bill Russell can do better.

My issue is not with the opinion that on specific incidents Harden can't do better. My issue is with characterizing that problem as the major contributor to the reason we haven't won a championship yet.

If we take all the reasons we haven't won, Harden's tendency to be deflated of energy when he has carried a greater load than 99% of NBA players in history is not a major component nor is it something Harden can personally correct. If he conserves his energy, we are not in that position to begin with. He has done everything to increase his endurance. He added the exhausting ability to be a positive defender.

Like you said, this is the result of a problem. It's not the problem. This exact version of James Harden can replace Durant on the Warriors and win it all. He can replace Giannis on the Bucks and win the East. He can replace Lebron on the Cavs and lose badly against the Durant's Warriors. He can do what Curry does if you put an elite second scorer and a DPOY candidate next to him. He can do anything any of those guys are doing, with his flaw(s), just like they do it with their flaws.

15. ksny15

ksny15 Member

It's not 1 or 2 times a game. It's almost everytime he doesn't bring the ball up the court. If he isn't isoing he tunes out.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's not almost every time, but yes it happens a lot when he's not iso'ing.

You know why? Because the only way this roster/system can win is if he iso's more than anyone in NBA history at a historically elite rate. This is the most exhausting way to score. He had to do this to an insane level during the regular season. Then every post season he has to do it against one of the best teams of all time.

Where do you think this all comes from?

HP3 likes this.
  17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I think they have catered the offense to what Harden wants. I think MDA wants more movement and quick scoring. This waste 17 seconds on the clock is not what MDA is about. It stems from Harden and Morey and it won't matter who else they bring in because it will still be 4 vs 5 when Harden doesn't have the ball. He needs to move and at least look like he is a threat. Not just stand behind the ball with hit hands on his hips.

mastan, bmelo and durvasa like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I watched the other MDA thread where the video said he is the Master of Adaptation, he ran a different system with teh Suns, with teh Knicks, with teh Lakers and now with teh Rox.

I am not sure what his end game is but it seems like he is riding Harden till the end.

19. Newlin

Newlin Member

I thought that's what our offense is all about? Spreading the floor and creating space.

don grahamleone and studogg like this.
  20. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

The organization indulged in this style of play which doesn't work at all in the playoffs for 4 years (starting in year klohe), letting him play slow, out of shape, minimal movement, turnover prone basketball, gave him a supermax extension, and now they want him to change when he's turning 30?

Lol, no.

fchowd0311 likes this.