1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden asked McHale to let him guard Zach Randolph

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 2016Champions, Jan 26, 2014.

?

Should Harden get some minutes at the 4?

1. Yes but it depends on the opponent

41 vote(s)
    21.7%
  2. Absolutely not

148 vote(s)
    78.3%
  1. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

ccording to Jonathan Feigen, Harden asked McHale to let him guard Zach Randolph. I think it's everyone's instinct to react to this negatively, and maybe I'm too open-minded for my own good, but I actually liked it. Harden gives up a few inches but he's incredibly strong which makes him tough to back down in the post, and having Dwight behind him definitely helps. One might even argue that Harden is less of a defensive liability at the 4 than he is at the 2. Don't get me wrong, I'm not getting any crazy ideas about starting Harden at the 4. I'm just not ruling out the possibility that 10 minutes or so of Harden at the 4 (while Jones rests) is an effective screwball Houston could use against certain opponents. There are definitely some pros and cons.

Cons:
    • Rebounding
    • Rim protection
    • Makes Harden a target
    • Foul potential
    • Could be too tiring for Harden

Pros:
    • Huge upgrade over Donatas Motiejunas and Casspi
    • More minutes for Jeremy Lin at SG
    • Houston's perimeter defense would get better
    • This is something that can only work with an elite defender and rebounder at the 5 which Rockets have
    • Huge mismatch potential

The only other time I remember Harden playing PF was in round 1 of the NBA playoffs vs OKC. The alternative at the time was Greg Smith at the 4 which worked out very poorly as Houston got blown out by 29 points in game 1. With Harden at the 4 it actually looked like Houston had a chance, Ibaka wasn't blatantly camping around the rim all game anymore instead giving Harden his undivided attention to little avail, and Harden was actually playing great defense for a change.

It's unconventional no doubt, but I think the pros outweigh the cons. The defense might not take a hit at all considering how little impact DMo and and Casspi have defensively, but the offense is sure to get a significant boost. At the very least I think it deserves some experimenting. 10 minutes per game for 10 games is a reasonable request as far as I'm concerned, and that would be an better sample size than what we have so far just to see if it could work.

2. Play07

Play07 Member

Harden is actually plays GREAT defense in the post against SFs, harden plays BAD defense when he has to guard someone that moves without the ball on the perimeter.

But still zach is a big guy

3. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

Randolph can shoot that mid range jumper and make them all day against harden.

4. chandlerbang21

No no no no no no no no no no

5. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

I thought the plan for the Rockets was to let Harden guard Randolph, then have Parsons come over to double if Randolph was posting up too well.

6. andersongo

andersongo Member

Dude should try to learn to guard scrubs like Steve Blake before asking to deal with the huge mismatch that an elite big man represents.

7. SeabrookMiglla

8. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Go look at the highlights from the 1st grizz game, he actually did a solid job on ZBo when it came to 1-on-1. Boxing him out was another story...

9. dragician

dragician Member

are y'all blind??? Harden is an excellent 1on1 defender.

10. b2bizchina

b2bizchina Member

Didn't u guys saw Haeden to guard Ibaka in last playoff ?

11. andersongo

andersongo Member

Too bad this is the NBA and not the AND1 mixtape. Haren is fooling no one, asking to defend a huge mismatch as if he is a big time defender while getting owned by freaking Courtney Lee. Such leadership.

12. jocar

jocar Member

Maybe he's better suited to use his strength than speed on defense. He handled Zbo pretty well, were you not watching?

13. jsonic6

jsonic6 Contributing Member

Asik, where are thou?

14. jocar

jocar Member

Ok, now you're just venting, a la lof.

15. andersongo

andersongo Member

Hardeb guards Zbo for a few minutes = Harden can consistently handle bruising PFs who are stronger and bigger than him. True story.

16. conquistador#11

nobody guards big men like carlos del-fine-o. miss carlitos way

17. andersongo

andersongo Member

Delbricko was the man. Getting out there every other night, getting always owned and destroyed by Zbo, West & Co. Poor Delbricko had to bear the brunt of McSuccess' small ball fetish.

18. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Didn't watch the game, huh? Harden didn't guard Courtney Lee. Harden guarded Prince for most of the game. He played Randolph some in the 2nd half and Randolph didn't score any baskets and had one assist while Harden was guarding him. Later, Harden guarded Ed Davis.

Lee was primarily being guarded by Parsons and then briefly by Lin.

1 person likes this.
  19. rocketblood713

why not we were getting blown out anyway lol

20. 2016Champions

2016Champions Member

I just think any Rockets fan who had been satisfied with Casspi should also be open minded to the possibility that Harden could do an equally satisfactory job in his steed.