1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden - and how to build a championship team around him

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Feb 11, 2016.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

no worries, he won't be the last superstar.

Just eek out those years and we are on a hunt for a better guy

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

That sounds like the whole Warriors team.

3. MD_in_Training

No... what Warriors team are you watching? Klay, Curry, Draymond, and Barnes are all more than capable of playing off the ball. Sure, some of them handle the ball more than others, but it's nothing like Harden.

4. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

It kinda worked we had a very good year last season even if you don't think we were a top 4 team like our record indicated and I agree, we were still good enough for HC advantage and it paid off in us making a little run to tye conference finals.

Like many picked the clippers to beat us but I don't think even with them having 3 Max level players that we can't beat them. Same goes for every team out west other than GS and SA.

We're in the same boat as clips and okc to and extent when clicking and that's not a terrible place to be. Maybe curry hurts his ankles in the playoffs or Leonard has somthing happen. If rockets are clicking like last year we can make a run and that's what you have to do. It's not shame to lose to gs or SA everyone is not just us. There historically great maybe the best team ever.

And I do think we gave them a pretty tough out in the playoffs and that was largely on James hsrdens back he was amazing. Hopefully we can get back to that level of not these last 25 games then next season.

5. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

He's talking about the role players.

Every number on that list is something that Warrior players do well.

Basically they sit on the 3 line and hit 40% while Curry and Green/Bogut move the ball to one side or the other with screens.

6. kidhoward12

kidhoward12 Member

So basically have really good players that can cover for hardens guy, not need the ball, defer to harden, etc, etc. Yeah...... not the type of team that is possible nor wins a chip. I just can't see us or anyone winning with Harden as the main guy. He shrinks when the pressure is on in the playoffs. The leagues worst superstar if that makes sense.

7. OldYelllowDog

OldYelllowDog Contributing Member

Isn't Jason Terry that player?

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

We were a top team last season but Harden wasn't fat and he actually tried.

We're halfway through the season and Harden is still fat, plus he is moving less and less, conserving that energy for his turnover prone "pick two" offense.

Believe me, if I thought there was a good chance Harden could play like last year I would advocate staying the course.

But the longer this goes on the more I believe Harden just is what he is this year.

9. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

Currys usage rate is like a point off from hardens. All these guys have high usage rates kd Westbrook lebron curry harden.

Harden would thrive in Currys role and while maybe not quite as dominant I bet you they still only have 10 losses tops and would be seen as a favorite to come out the west with SA.

I mean imagine harden with green for pick n roll and being able to hit klay in the corner for open 3s.

Any superstar could run that GS team at high level. I'm not taking anything away from curry cause he's the best at it but lebron harden Westbrook would all be great on that team.

10. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

That is the exact GS model tho!!!

Curry is ass on defense and he barely has to play it bc he gets hidden on the worse guard.

Meanwhile, the rest of the team players their asses off on defense and sits on offense while Curry creates.

Our teams just a$$ at defense now.

11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

So you think harden is going to play like this forever or just the rest of this year?

12. Mr. Clutch

I really don't know, its hard to predict.

Harden is just 26.

On the one hand he can turn it around.

On the other hand, if he's fat, slow and lazy at the age of 26 when most players are at peak athletic shape, that's a really bad sign

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I'm talking about what DD said Harden needs. He needs the whole Warriors team to be successful.

14. Mr. Clutch

Morey's fault for not surrounding Harden with Curry, Kawhi, and Cousins.

He needs help!

15. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

We just have to roll with it and hope that we get an actual coach who can push him in the right direction and get him back to the guy we saw last year as the mvp of the league.

I agree it is a bad sign but I will say this. I had a leadership position myself and made a lot of money and got lazy thinking everything was all good. I lost a lot of good ppl around me and money. Ultimately it was The best think for me. It caused me to work harder. I became a much better leader and now my team is thriving and better than ever.

I'm in litigation sales by the way.

I just think the rockets have to hope harden wants to be great because he so talented he's a walking triple double and he's not even giving it his all. Imagine if we can find that coach who can push him and get him playing at that level again? He could be even better than last year.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not easy to turn it around.

And if he turns it around he will still be 27 or 28.

We have to establish ourselves as the 2nd or 3rd seed long term to have a shot.

One season is just a fluke.

And from 3rd seed to seriously challenge a historically great team such as the GSW barring self implosion is a whole other chapter.

If we get lucky we can still one championship from their dynasty of multiple ships ahead.

They are that good. (Only the Spurs can challenge them with their depth and their great coach)

17. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

When Pat is the highest % from 3 on the team this season idk how you can say what you just said with a straight face...

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

-steal a championship

19. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

to your point Morey did say on radio 790 before most of these things you listed when asked about finding teammates for Harden but Morey said it's extremely hard to find these type of players that are willing to come to Houston because they are already on good teams..

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Guess what this whole charade did not just start this season

When the Rox were going against the Mavs and Clips, you could see games where they just coasted, gave no effort.