1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Harden and Dwight Superstars?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by webattorney, Jul 21, 2013.

1. webattorney

webattorney Member

I often see the word "superstar" being used to refer to Harden and Dwight. Whether they are "superstars" or not really depends on what we mean by the word "superstars", and how many "superstars" can there be in NBA. For example, I think most people would agree that Durant, LeBron, Kobe and C. Paul are "superstars". To me, while Harden and Dwight are "all-stars", they are not "superstars" for different reasons. Harden to me is not a superstar because his D is not good, while Dwight is not a superstar because his offense isn't quite up there yet. I really think the word "superstar" should be reserved for 5 or less players in NBA. What do people think?

2. DOLPHIN2k2

DOLPHIN2k2 Member

Anyone that is a primary option on their team but hasn't been to the Finals should not be consider a superstar.

3. FearTheBeardJH

I always thought there are 3-4 superstars in the league at best.

Howard was a superstar in Orlando, not sure about now.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think Chris Paul came close to your standard but I think he is one heck of a superstar because he can change the pace of a game.
    He made David West an allstar.

5. Roachiep

Roachiep Member

I think you are a troll. There are many superstars in the NBA. Most teams have one, if not more. You may be thinking of the elite of the elite. Players whose skills are so transcendent that they will shortly, if they haven't already, earn their way into the discussion of the all-time greats to ever play the game.

Most of the guys who make the all-star team by being voted in by the fans would most likely be considered superstars. Why you chose to single out Houston's 2 all-stars as not worthy of superstar status is baffling and screams that you are indeed a troll and probably a Laker fan, or some other loser breed of infectious fan. GO AWAY

Houston has 2 "Superstars" today and Chandler Parsons is working hard to make it #3. And if we were to trade for LaMarcus Aldridge, we would have 3, going on 4 superstars.

6. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Harden is not a "superstar", at least not yet.

If Kobe is still a superstar, then so is Dwight. Dwight plays both sides, Kobe only on one side. If we are calling Kobe a superstar because of the player he was, then Dwight is still a superstar because he took his team to the finals without another all-star (something Kobe never did).

Bottom line, if Kobe is a superstar, so is Dwight.

7. FearTheBeardJH

Kobe is a superstar, because of his past success, not because how good he is right now. He is also still box office, people will buy tickets to watch him play basketball.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jameer Nelson was made an allstar. Rashard Lewis was an allstar. Hedo played like a fringe allstar.

9. Merovingian

Merovingian Member

The threshold of being superstar has been lower nowadays

10. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Would've loved to have heard you try to defend that statement pre-1991'ish with Michael Jordan. :grin: I'll take one year in particular :

1987-1988 - MVP, DPOY, All-Star, scoring champion, league leader in steals, All NBA First Team, All-NBA Defensive First Team, slam dunk champion

11. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

You are correct. I forgot Nelson was an all star.

12. VBG

VBG Member

Harden is better than Kobe now so I dunno how you can say Kobe is a superstar and Harden is not in terms of performance.

I do think that Durant and Lebron are on a different level. Dwight and CP3 can occasionally reach that level. CP3 with offense and Dwight with defense. Harden hasn't quite shown that ability yet.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do think Harden is a star on the verge of becoming a superstar, Dwight Howard is a superstar who has lost his touch one season ago.

Harden and his beard are superstars when not playing basketball.
    Both have chips on their shoulders and rightfully so.

14. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

If superstar is about how much everyone likes you, and what you have done in the past, then Howard and Harden are not superstars.

If that's the definition, though, who cares if they are superstars.

15. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

Dude please... Harden is a top 5 player. Only a super star player can sore 26 ppg with no other all star caliber player on the team or surrounded by veterans. He also drops dimes like change is falling out his pocket, rebounds, and he's a ball hawk and most importantly he makes his teammates better... He took a lottery team to the playoffs in the freaking western conference.

He's arguably one of the best if not the best at his position. That alone makes him a super star.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

You know, for fans that just received the best center in the league and the best sg in the league within the past 9 months and trust me Harden is the best sg in the league. (D wade is a shell of his former self and Kobe is pretty much done. If he is not the best now he will be in a year.)

You guys really seem pessimistic and down. What kind of question is this? 'Are they superstars?" who cares?? All of the media attention + Playoffs + All-Star appearances + Money + Talents + Ranking (Both are top 10) make them superstars.

The real question is, will Houston treat them like superstars. Will we do our best as fans. Will we demand the most from management and ownership to make sure these players want to stay and make sure that Houston is a place that Superstars want to play. Can we as fans do this?

Support your team, love your team because as far as I am concerned, anyone who wears a Rockets uniform and works hard to see us win, is a superstar to me.

1 person likes this.
  17. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Dwight was the 2nd best player in the NBA 2 years ago. GTFO.

18. RickyNewport

RickyNewport Member

So are you saying Reggie Miller wasn't a super star...? Dominick Wilkins wasn't a super star..? So are you saying Jordan wasn't a super star his first 7-8 years before he made it to the finals...? So are you saying Patrick Ewing wasn't a super star center before he made the finals...? Are you saying David Robinson wasn't a super star...?

At the end of the day it's still a team game. You still need help and talent around you. Next you'll probably say you're not a super star unless you win a championship...

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

They are superstars. Any realistic definition of the term includes all the top 10 players in the league, and many people would expand that to the top 20 or even top 30.

Harden and Dwight are both top 10 players, and I would argue, borderline top 5.

They are also the best players at their respective positions. How can you be the best center and the best shooting guard in the NBA and not be superstars?

20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Durants D is not good either. Chris Paul defense is trash as well. LOL