1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hard decision

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by bigben69, Apr 12, 2006.

1. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Im currently a student at University of North Texas. I transfered here 2 years ago but this is my fourth year of school. I like being away from home but Im seriously considering transfering to UofH. Here is the problem. I know if I go to UH it will take me longer to graduate. This is already my 4th year of school and it could add another semester or 2. All of my friends and family will be in Houston. I havent made enough friends here to feel like I should stay. It is one of the top journalism schools and UH well.....isnt.

So here it is....Should I stay here and finish school faster and have a more meaningful degree but not be happy OR Move back to Houston and finish school and be happier while i do it but it will take longer????

2. huypham

huypham Contributing Member

if we're talking about a few more semesters before you graduate...

suck it up and finish off school. the better degree will help.

plus, i'm sure things will get better and you will get happier in denton.

3. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Suck it up and finish. It will be over before you know it.

4. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Thats what Im thinking. Just suck it up. It seems like everyday I change my mind though. I forgot to say it would be cheaper if I moved back to Houston and thats another big factor.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Suck it up and finish. You can always move back to Houston when you're done. It will still be here.

6. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

College is better than work, happy is better than unhappy.

You won't ever make any money in jounalism anyway no matter where you graduate. It may make a difference in getting your first job or your first move up but in the long run your success will be determined by your skills and determination, well that and who you know.

Signed,
    10 year undergraduate degree

7. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Im doing Journalism with a minor in advertising but if I went to UH I would probably just do advertising. I want to be a copywriter. I think youre right though

8. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Most guys are happier when it takes longer. I hear women prefer this as well. CONTROL... it's all about control, yo.

I'd say stay.

9. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Suck it up. You're almost done.

10. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

You must have a girl back here in Houston that you are worried about. Did you leave that part out?

11. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i'm not a big fan of unt either, too many hippies.. but thats another topic.

i'm basically in the same situation, i have like 3 semesters left, so i'm just suckin it up and finishin up here... then its probably back to h-town for me!

look me up on facebok - http://unt.facebook.com/profile.php?id=23905611

12. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

take my advice... stay in school FOREVER!

13. bigben69

bigben69 Member

Prospects but no certain one.

14. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

What's your major now? What do you want to be at UH? Have you finished the CORE curriculum? How many advanced hours have you taken in your major and Minor?

15. bigben69

bigben69 Member

I went ahead and added you. Yes there are a lot of hippies here. I will probably just suck it up and stay.

16. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Listen to rodrick_98...Denton is what you'd expect, Denton...Finish school and find a job where you want to hang out...Family will always be there...You're so close, so don't give up now...

The last time I was in Denton I got a ticket so I haven't been back...The only reason I would is to go to Rudy's BBQ...Some of the chicks I've seen are pretty hot, so it can't be all that bad...

17. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

Rarely anyone ever finishes school in 4 anymore, but if you're almost done, i say just suck it up, finish, and look for job experience. The better degree will not necessarily mean a better job. It's all about what you know, and who you know.

18. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I thought the hippies only came out for the Fry Street Festival and the rest of the time they were in SF on Haight-Ashbury? Oh well...guess not. Damn hippies...the 60s are over!