1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy Texas Independence Day!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan17wagner, Mar 2, 2010.

1. ryan17wagner

ryan17wagner Member

On this day in 1836, we adopted the Texas Declaration of Independence on Washington-on-the-Brazos which declared our independence from Mexico and the sovereign nation known as the Republic of Texas was born.

There's a big Texas Independence Day chili cook-off/music fest in Conroe this weekend.

http://www.texasindependenceday.org/

See y'all there!

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Well, congratulations Texas. :(

What a b****. :mad: Friggin' Santa Ana. Congratulations, Rick Perry. You have your Republic now! :p

[​IMG]

;)

3. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I got a paid day off. Pretty effing sweet. :D

5. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

God, I wish. I hate the name Dynamo......

6. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i take offense to that...
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

dont be hate'n on SA...dude just needed his little siesta

8. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Juneteenth is Texas Independence Day.

9. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

ummm....what?

10. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Remember Goliad!

11. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Slavery is pretty ****ty reason to declare independence.

12. SwoLy-D

Do you still live in your parents' house? :confused:

13. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

No? :confused:

14. Southern Select

Hey you Texas hating r****d ****, slavery wasn't the reason Texas wanted independence.

Texians were becoming increasingly disillusioned with the Mexican government. Many of the Mexican soldiers garrisoned in Texas were convicted criminals who were given the choice of prison or serving in the army in Texas. Many Texians were also unhappy with the location of their state capital, which moved periodically between Saltillo and Monclova, both of which were in southern Coahuila, some 500 miles (800 km) away; they wanted Texas to be a separate state from Coahuila (but not independent from Mexico) and to have its own capital.

They believed a closer location for the capital would help to stem corruption and facilitate other matters of government. Some American immigrants and Mexican citizens were accustomed to the rights they had in the U.S. that they did not have in Mexico. For example, Mexico did not protect Freedom of Religion, instead requiring colonists to pledge their acceptance of Roman Catholicism; Mexican Law required a tithe paid to the Catholic Church[citation needed].

Cotton was in high demand throughout Europe and most settlers wanted to raise cotton for big profits. But Mexico demanded that the settlers produce corn, grain and beef, dictating which crops each settler would plant and harvest.

MANY Mexican states to secede, Texas is the only one that did, thank god.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I remember in elementary school learning texas history about how those valiant texas men won the battle of san jacinto. However now is seems it was more like killing a bunch of sleeping Mexicans so the settlers can have slaves.

Those texans back then seem like tea partiers now.

16. SwoLy-D

^ I love it how WikiPedia allows for editorial commentary and opinion such as "disillusioned", "believed"... etc. :grin: like people knew what was in the mind of others... LOL!

Hey Southern "Select"... at least write the citation or give someone else credit for what you posted... :p

17. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

wow. just wow.

18. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

As a Texan native, I am not blinded by your zeal.

Another main factor behind the revolt was the fact that Santa Anna had abolished slavery in Mexico. This was a serious setback to many landowners, who now faced financial ruin. Texan independence or joining the Union would allow these people to retain their slaves. As a slave state, Texas would support the Confederate States of America during the American Civil War.

Many Americans worried that annexing Texas, which permitted slavery, would upset the sectional balance within Congress. In what is considered "a serious tactical error that ruined the scheme [of establishing political respectability for him]", US President Tyler appointed John C. Calhoun in 1844 as his Secretary of State. Calhoun, as Secretary of State, was responsible for the negotiations with Texas over its admission to the Union. Calhoun was a leading advocate of slavery, and his attempts to get an annexation treaty passed were resisted by abolitionists as a result.

On February 28, 1845, the U.S. Congress passed a bill that would authorize the United States to annex the Republic of Texas and on March 1 Tyler signed the bill.
    The legislation set the date for annexation for December 29 of the same year. On October 13 of the same year, a majority of voters in the Republic approved a proposed constitution that specifically endorsed slavery and the slave trade. This constitution was later accepted by the U.S. Congress, making Texas a U.S. state on the same day annexation took effect (therefore bypassing a territorial phase).

http://millercenter.org/academic/americanpresident/tyler/essays/biography/4

19. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Today's the Big Day! Don't forget to book that late lunch! 2-4pm at participating Rudy's you'll get 32 cent 1/4 lb brisket, one per person. participating locations can be found at rudys.com/f2s

http://www.facebook.com/rudysbbq

I want Brisket now!! Too bad it's too far from me. :(

20. Southern Select

Let me guess... You are an Obama dicksucker too.

1 person likes this.