1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Happy Obamacare Day

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 1, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Obamacare just went live! Here’s how to use it. <a href="http://t.co/eJZ0j4gTv4">http://t.co/eJZ0j4gTv4</a></p>&mdash; Ezra Klein (@ezraklein) <a href="https://twitter.com/ezraklein/statuses/384933606961192960">October 1, 2013</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Death panels are coming to a town near you.

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Put a smiley. The Fox News impaired won't understand the sarcasm.

4. glynch

Good find, Carl. I found it yesterday when looking for something readable when trying to advise some folks about ObamaCare.

I recommend it for those who actually want some practical facts about the plan.

5. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

6. glynch

Be sure to post when in a day or two the computer glitch has been resolved.

Dear tallnover, please be advised that some times new websites have to be tweaked a bit before they become optimally functional.

BTW keep up the good fight to keep 50 million Americans without health insurance. It will make you feel superior and better, because despite your problems you are not one of them.

7. tallanvor

why?

I am aware. Why are you trying to write me a formal letter?

Also it is not a small tweak.... Whole states are completely down.

8. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

To show that you're fair and balanced, as opposed to a partisan drone.

9. tallanvor

First off, I care little whether anyone on this board thinks I am partisan. Secondly, what difference does it make? Classic B-Bob. Always desperate to attack the messenger and not the message. When will you ever learn that the author has no bearing on the validity of an argument?

'prove your not a partisan drone'. hahahaha

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I was only trying to answer your question of "why", and I think I did so in the exact spirit of the poster who made the original request. Cheers.

I suppose you didn't want to know "why", but then you shouldn't have asked.

Classic B-Bob? I guess I don't cut-n-paste links enough or something. I tend to post my own content, and if someone else seems disingenuous or outright dumb, I may just underline it, yes.

11. jocar

jocar Member

Woohoo! Do we get free phones too?

12. jocar

jocar Member

^best thing about the Affordable Care Act. Welcome to the 21 century, America.

13. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

only the parts that Obama didn't delay are starting today. He chose to delay several pieces of it. And then there's that whole issue of the states that refused to expand medicaid (incl Texas). Hilarious how little is actually going live today. yawn

14. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

Exactly. The way it was before should have been flat out illegal.

My brother was turned away repeatedly for having Crohn's disease.

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Should it be illegal for your auto insurance company to make you pay more if you have accidents? Or deny you? How about your homeowner's insurance? Should it be illegal for them to charge you more if your house gets broken into? Burned down, etc?

Insurance is just the middle man. They are insuring your risk. For reason everyone thinks we should let hospitals and Rx companies charge whatever they want, more here than in any country in the world, but we should make insurance companies be the ones who get price fixing from the government.

Rx companies sell the drugs we buy at pennies on the dollar to other western countries. We subsidize the entire world's pharmaceutical industry. Unfortunately big pharm and the hospital lobby have way more muscle and so they've been able to buy off voices for change.

16. justtxyank

By the way, I think healthcare.gov is working for Texas.

17. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

A great day for America!

Texas? not so much

18. glynch

19. justtxyank

It sounds like you are trying to trap me into admit to being a liberal? lol I have no problem admitting where my positions lie, regardless of where they fall on the political spectrum.

I think you could actually fix the situation without price fixing, but if you are going to price fix, why would you price fix the middle man instead of the source?

Edit: But to answer your question, yes, I would have no problem with a ban on ALL private funding for elections. If you ban ALL of it. Not pick and choose, or limit here but not there. I would love to see all elections at the national level funded solely by a federal pool of dollars that people could contribute to, term limits on politicians, etc.

20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

So then why all the grandstanding last night and in the previous weeks by the repubs? Why did they allow the federal government to shut down over something so insignificant?