1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hanging out at Bookstore Question....

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bobblehead, Jan 3, 2008.

Tags:
  1. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

When I was in college in Hunstville, the Hastings Records and Books used to serve beer from 4 to 6 on Fridays. FREE beer.

Until bookstores start doing this, I'll stick to Amazon.

2. ClutchCityReturns

ClutchCityReturns Contributing Member

When were you at Sam Houston? I was there in '01-'02 but none of my friends were there and it was such a ghost town on the weekends that I transferred to UH the next year.

3. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

You have just given me the best suggestion for a start up business that I have ever heard!! LOL Happy Hour at a bookstore!

Anyone want to invest.

Lord I could be the happiest entrepreneur ever!! Beer and Books.. two of my passions! :)

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i will usually hang out for a bit and skim the first parts of a few chapters to see if i like a book. Hanging out there for hours on end is a little lame and screams "look at me being sophisticalted" .

But i dont/never did study there, nor would i ever buy a homochino ;) ...coffee only. Black and strong...like my women

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You and finalsbound should have gotten together about that. ;)

Anyway, I read the OP to a coworker, and he had a good point:
    "*****!!!! Why are you bothering me, you *sshole :mad: ?!?!?! Oh, well, I guess I'll answer you. Yeah, I do that 'cuz they don't have the book I want to read at the library. Most of the time, it's better to drink and read than just look at an old lady who says 'SHHH!!!!' to you four times. Now get back to work and finish that script for me, *****er!!!! :mad: " <- he said that.

PLUS, yeah, there are hotter chicks at the B&N and BORDERS place than at the local library. ;)

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Throw in a spot where we can smoke weed safely during our breaks and I'm in!

7. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

how about what everyone else does -- in your car

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, I don’t want to age myself too much, but let’s just say it was back when Hastings sold CD’s (the new sensation) in those huge foot-long cardboard packages. :)

I used to like it on the weekends when all the frat boys and sorority bimbos would go home. Very peaceful.

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

he used that line on you too?

10. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I hang out at bookstores every day. What's the big deal?

Oh, I thought this was about adult bookstores. Yeah, that's stupid.

11. DaDream

DaDream Member

"why you trying to read that word....... you a ***?"
    -Idiocracy. best movie ever

12. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

he tried to strike up a conversation with me which didnt' really go anywhere. then i moved to the history section and he followed me there. eventually asked me if i wanted to get some lunch with him. it was quite a weird feeling.

13. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

I still think its fun. I dont lay around on the floor, but I will occasionally sit on the floor and read parts of a book. If I find it interesting, I will usually buy. For me its escapism, something to do, and it beats sitting on your ass watching Everybody Hates Raymond.

If you just want to buy books, you go to Amazon.

If you want to explore the world of books, you go to a bookstore.

14. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I kind of do the same. I like to go to grocery stores, get a bunch of fruit and sit on the floor for hours while I try them out. Last week I found a Giant Mongolian Grapefruit that will blow your mind.

15. DaDream

DaDream Member

I went to Home Depot the other day and sat in one of the ailes and played with the light fixtures. ..... it was magnificent.

16. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

cuz all the cool kids from community college are there

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That was some funny ****e Meowgi!

18. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've been hanging out at bookstores for, like, forever. First it was the library, when I was a kid, going every week and bringing a stack of books home to read. The last 15 years-plus, it's been Book People, here in Austin, and the local B&N on Brodie, with stops at the Book Stop, on N. Lamar, with a swing by Borders at times, although it's at the bottom of my list.

Why? I love to read, I'm very, very fast, I read several things at once, depending on my mood, and have spent many hundreds of dollars in them, so I feel no guilt at parking myself at one for a couple of hours.

I've rewarded my kids for good grades by taking them to the bookstore, to buy them whatever they wanted (as long as it was a book), since they were in kindergarten. They feel the same way I do, thank god, about reading and going to look at books, so it was time and money well spent. Why do I rarely go the the library? I can afford a bookstore, the selection is far superior for what I like to read, the ambience beats the hell out of the alternative, and I can buy an expresso, chill out, and relax.

So sue me! :p

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The things that annoy people never cease to amaze me.

20. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

The things that amaze people never ceases to annoy me.