1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA Play-In Tournament action live ...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Hang Up and Listen] Royce White Interview on Slate

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Arthurprescott2, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Good call. Definite sexual predator.

This is #unsafe.

2. choujie

choujie Member

You got it backwards. Club lets everybody in if they are illegible and follow there rules. But clubs doesn't change rule for a person who enters club willingly.

Stop dreaming, White has been on flights during his college more than many people in their life already.

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with homosexuality. But being a sexual predator with either gender is wrong.

4. Grigori

Grigori Member

It's Gregory Jorgensen. You know, the big white dude who wears white-and-blue headbands, has six fingers on each hand, is McHale's pet, and gets undeserved minutes over White.

5. Granville

Granville Member

"If I didn't want to play, I wouldn't be fighting for it. I would just call it quits, get a buyout, stop playing."

Get a buyout??? You are breaching your contract by refusing to work, dumbass.

6. Carl Herrera

Cole Aldrich?

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Jeremy Lin needs a #safe environment from #unwanted advances.

Omer needs a #coupon to eat at a #Turkish restaurant twice a week. #Foodocol

Greg Smith needs extra time to tie his shoes. #CommonSense

1 person likes this.
  8. robrhodes

robrhodes Member

Anybody catch Sura on Pokerstars big game? I think he ends up beating this game for some good money.

[youtube]_4uC7gDSjZQ[/youtube]

9. AbrahamLincoln

My thinking on this is that Royce wants constancy and routine. By having those things he can have less anxiety. Then you ask yourself, how can he achieve that? Well by not being shuttled to the D league every other week like machado,jones etc.. So then he either needs to develop routine in rgv or in the nba. I can only guess which way is trying to go on that. So, he wants the gm powerless in the decision to call him up and down and to do that he needs his doctors to say its bad for him and his routine and anxiety. He will feel powerless and out of control and whatever else. He should not get that treatment and he is not better than any other pf on the team. so why should he be able to snake time?

I don't think he will ever play in the NBA. He shouldn't have attempted it. People are right that the rockets should not have accommodated early on. He has problems for sure but he is failing at overcoming them.

10. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

I agree. If that scenario were to play out, then the Rockets should just leave him off the active roster, expect him to show up to practice every day, fine/suspend him when he doesn't or is problematic, and let his contract run out. There's no real loss as compared to the situation we're in now, and quite frankly I find that scenario as unlikely because I don't see doctors prescribing that. I just don't see any real downside.

Look, if he's just flat refusing to go to the D-League, obviously he won't ever work out for the Rockets. If he's making demands about playing time, obviously this will never work for the Rockets. But I don't think he's trying to get that out of the Rockets. I think he's just paranoid about the Rockets having the right to overrule his doctors. He's gonna have to compromise some too, and he's gonna have to work to make sure his problems don't ever become a distraction for the team if he ever does join them. But it seems like a reasonable middle ground can be worked out that's fair for both sides.

11. Grigori

Grigori Member

Elements of Cole Alrich have probably played a part in the creation of said monster-imaginee. O the horrors of being an imaginer.

12. Arthurprescott2

Parsons is just an Equal Opportunity Predator. He doesn't discriminate.

13. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

If he needs a routine, tell him he'll be in the D-League all year and won't be called back. That's where he needs to be anyway, his game isn't NBA ready yet. We don't need to be pulling him back and forth from there like the others anyway. If the doctors say it's safe for him to go and he refuses, suspend him and we're at where we're at now. If the doctors for some odd reason say it's unsafe to go to RGV, then let him practice with the team and if he develops enough to play then cool, if not you let his contract run out and again, we're at where we're at now.

14. Carl Herrera

To be serious, it seems the whole thing is complicated by CBA/League issues where even if HOU is willing to do something, the League may not permit it under the collective bargaining agreement. Any kind of "protocol" White and HOU agree to must be signed off by the League and be kosher under the CBA, and also, perhaps most important, the precedence will be applicable to all players with mental illness issues. This becomes a bigger deal than just the team and Royce White and a much more involved legal and business matter for the entire NBA. It is more than just whether Morey trusts White's good faith and is willing to accommodate. It is also whether other teams are willing to go as far as HOU is in accommodating a player and whether other teams trust their current and future players' good faith (and if other teams are less willing to accommodate, do they risk lawsuits or do the Rockets gain an unfair advantage over them?).

I bet there are League office execs and lawyers trying to think of all kinds of ways that a player (not necessarily White himself, or even a current player) could cause trouble by citing the White precedence.

Anyhow, this thing is complicated.

#74 Carl Herrera, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  15. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

As a fan, this whole situation is frustrating and disappointing. Like many others here, I wish Royce well while simultaneously feeling that his illness is too big to allow him to see any more court time in the NBA.

I didn’t think reading the transcript would change my mind, but I do find that he is cogent and logical in his own way, though seemingly out of touch in many other ways. What I read in the transcript does give me pause for thought, and a tiny bit of hope. If the Rockets take the time to find a workable solution (before their lawyers say enough), I see in Royce’s words some light at the end of the tunnel, hinging on getting Royce to wrap his mind around accepting different ways to maintain control of his health.

The model for success at Iowa State, where Royce didn’t need a protocol, sprung from his trusting relationship with Coach Hoiberg. In any organization, even in a lot of union environments, there are unofficial accommodations made all the time. It’s only when lawyers get involved that everybody’s hands get tied. (no offense to any lawyers here!)

I have to wonder if there could be other ways for Royce to get comfortable with the realities of the NBA, and which also allow the Rockets to function business as usual. Fan patience is running on fumes, so here’s hoping that Morey finds a solution before legal remedies are fully enacted.

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is what I don't get. Teams have always respected doctors' advice in players' health issues. I have never seen a team forcing a player to play or practice against the doctors' advice. So I don't see why the Rockets (and the league) would not agree with something toward that end.

So my suspicion is that he is asking MORE than that. "Executive order" is a big thing. It seems that it is an all embracing authority. That's why the team cannot agree. The question is, where do you draw the line between a medical issue and a basketball issue?

1 person likes this.
  17. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

AT this point I count myself among those who simply don't care. I just want White gone. Traded, buyout, cut... don't care how, just done. And I hope I never hear or read the word "protocol" regarding any sport again.

18. JeffB

JeffB Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Consider the early leaks:

19. Geaux Rockets

Geaux Rockets Member

Now this is a great point. Any written agreement may just not be allowed. Ultimately, White is probably just going to have to trust that the Rockets are going to have his best interests in mind. Giving that trust, and seeing that trust not being broken, would likely help White's anxiety some in the long run anyway.

20. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

In the end though, his tactics aren’t all that unusual. It has been used for countless decades for change. I would think most on this board would be “all in” for White.