1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Handing out NBA's midterm grades (Foxsports By Charley Rosen)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rmoreno, Feb 19, 2008.

1. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

HOUSTON: C-

After failing to meet expectations early in the season, the Rockets have taken off as of late. The reasons for their improvement are many: With Steve Francis down for the count, and Mike James on the bench, the crowd at point guard (and the resulting instability) has been resolved. The progress of Luis Scola (at least on offense), and the players' increasing familiarity (and comfort) with Rick Adelman's fresh-air offense. All they lack is the willingness of Tracy McGrady to drive the ball to the hole. Look for them to be the one team that nobody wants to face in the playoffs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7797808/Handing-out-NBA's-midterm-grades

Man Charley Rosen talking good about the Rockets, I think he is just trying to jinx us.

2. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I believe this was already posted.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

The guy is still stubborn. He insisted in the offseason that Scola wouldn't be any good (because that would mean his beloved Spurs made a mistake). Since he can't deny that Scola is a solid contributor on offense, he needs to pretend that Scola is a total defensive liability. And unless Scola turns out to be one of the premier defenders in the league, don't expect Rosen to change his stance.

4. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

I thought anything by Rosen is banned from this place. He has absolutely no credibility here. I spit at his face.

5. sumofuk

sumofuk Member

Dude is a tool.If he would bother to watch he would see scola is a pretty good defender and excellent low post scorer.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

I know it has been mentioned before but Rosen sure seems to give the Rockets more credit now that JVG is gone.

Rosen obviously knows the game but his personal bias against certain people is kinda pathetic for a 60 something year old geezer.

7. ico4498

ico4498 Member
    Supporting Member

luv my Rocks but C- is a gift. despite recent success, and the attendant excuses fer past failures, they've under performed.

their record is decent & the west is tuff. that said, overall their effort has some serious lapses. having placed themselves in a win at all costs situation doesn't deserve a marginally passing grade.

ico's high hopes aside, fan hood removed, we've got to be graded as failing.

the above does not inure the poster from hope or dreams.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

Look for them to be the one team that nobody wants to face in the playoffs.

hasn't this been the case EVERY year? we would put up a tremendous fight but lose?

i just want wins dammit. who cares if we're feared or not. :confused:

9. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

So how far are you gonna take us Tracy?

10. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Usually teams fear you because you beat them. Either physically beat them or beat them on the score board. The Rockets ain't physically beating no one and beating them on the scoreboard hasn't happened enough to get them out of the 1st round so I suspect in the past most playoff teams had very little fear of us. The Jazz didn't fear us, the Warriors didn't fear us. If somebody fears us now it will be because they can't stop us anymore in the regular season. If that happens we will be rightfully feared. But I don't expect many teams to fear us now, most players in the league still think Yao is a bit soft and Tmac is half man / half chicken.

11. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

I bet most coaches think differently.

12. bronx43

bronx43 Member

Yeah, I'm pretty sure players aren't going home calling Yao soft after Yao handles all their big men.

13. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

That's exactly what I thought when I read that.

They fear us because we take them to seven games and have a monumental collapse?

14. daddy cool

daddy cool Member

Maybe it isn't fear but I don't think too many teams want to play the rockets in a first round playoff matchup. We are right now a physical team who play defense. We are 2nd and 3rd in the league in defensive field goal percentage and 2nd and 3rd in defensive points allowed every week and we normally make our opponents play our slow grind it out defensive game instead of running and gunning the vice versa. Kobe mentioned us as far as how deep the west is right now.

As far as Yao,I think Yao is earning his place as a player who you can't call soft anymore. Yao banged into ultra physical kurt thomas and put him out the game when we played seattle at key arena. He also destroyed the warriors for 36 19 and 3 and after the game all harrington was like Yao wasn't playing the soft game he came out angry.