1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Handicapped Bathroom Stalls

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Apr 26, 2005.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Do people here remember "Deep Thoughts" by Jack Handey from Saturday Night Live?

If you do, here is a deep thought - why is it that people always (or at least seem to) favor the handicapped bathroom stall over the regular ones?

I am guessing that there is more room in the handicapped stall compared to normal ones plus you got the handrails on the side to help you.:p :eek: :eek: :D

Seriously, though, has anyone else ever noticed this?

Anyone get in trouble for using the handicapped stall - meaning that someone who is handicapped wanted to use it but couldn't because a non-handicapped person was using it?

2. Isabel

Isabel Member

That's funny. I used to always use them because it was nice to have the extra space. (You know how some bathroom stalls can get... also, as women, we have to go into stalls a lot more often than guys do.) Another advantage is that it's usually on the end.

I quit doing that, though, when I got older and started thinking about "what if someone came in here that could only use that one"? It's never happened to me, though, except for in conditions where the restroom was completely full so somebody had to be using that stall anyway.

(oh, and the handrails... apparently some people think it helps. These are often women who aren't going to be in there very long and don't want to touch the seat.)

The handicapped ones also tend to sit up higher than the others... which may or may not help... :D

3. A-Train

A-Train Member

I never worry about that...I mean, what is he going to do, run you over with his wheelchair?

4. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

No handicapped people in my office, and that stall has the best reading material 9 times out of 10.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Yeah, but that is handicapped water in the toilet. The Goverment has to cut back somewhere. You should be careful.

6. drapg

drapg Member

I never use handicapped bathroom stalls.

When I'm relieving myself, I like to be in confined quarters, hence I prefer a smaller stall. Having so much open space makes me uncomfortable, because it gives me the feeling that there is enough room for people to stand around and watch me...

Then I start to imagine random people standing in the stall watching me "handle my bidness" and I get performance anxiety.

Then I get constipated and a constipated drapg is no good to anybody.

7. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Member

I only use my own reading material. Something about other people's reading material around a toilet screams "do not touch".

8. PhiSlammaJamma

If there is one other person the bathroom I get performance anxiety.

9. PieEatinFattie

I always use the Handicapped when possible, especially when I'm at work where there are no handicapped emplyee's. Not just for the room but for the handles. When you're in there is long as I am and your legs start to fall asleep you need those rails to get up and get the blood flowing again.

My bigger question about work plcae washrooms is why do they install the kiddie urinal? Do they anticipate that many young boys comming into the work place to warent the need? Maybe they are trying to accomidate the vertically challenged? All I know is that getting stuck with the kiddie urinal is much more annoying than getting the non-handicapped stall.

10. Oski2005

Oski2005 Member

I try to avoid the regular stalls. It's like comparing a run down Brooklyn apartment to a penthouse in Central Park West.

11. swilkins

swilkins Member

At work, it's every man for himself.

He has sits in the handicapped stall is in the king's throne and is therefore allowed to make as much racket as necessary to free all the king's men.

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

LMAO - somehow this post does not surprise me a bit.:p ;)

PieEatinFattie,

Great question about the kiddie urinal (I won't say the name I call it because it might offend someone) - yea, that is very annoying when you get stuck with that thing. I came very close to posting a thread about that as well.

13. subtomic

subtomic Member
    Supporting Member

Another ADA requirement - urinals have to be low enough that a person in a wheelchair can use them. Of course, the side effect is that the rest of us have to aim carefully or risk getting the ricochet spray all over our pantlegs.

14. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

I don't use public stalls.

15. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I think its because the hanicap toilets are usually on the end of the row, so there is at least one real wall to one of your sides.

There's nothing worse than settling down for a dump in a stall and people come in and settle down on BOTH sides of you.

16. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

My office stalls are the only public stalls I'll use... and I use the handicap stalls exclusively. The toilet is higher which makes for a much comfortable "squat", especially when you're reading a good long article :)