1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hamas attacks Israel: Yom Kippur War, 50 years on

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 7, 2023.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Netanyahu seemed to be dead in the water, politically, before October 7th. This has given him a political lifeline. If the war ends without a decisive victory (meaning total dismantling of the Hamas governing/military apparatus, not getting the hostages returned), he knows well that he will have to face a severe reckoning for his actions and inactions that allowed October 7th to happen.

astros123 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've been wrong about this before as many hostages were returned and some rescued but if the IDF presses on into Rafah I have a very hard time seeing any of the remaining hostages surviving this.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you can't be some lunatic stop oil person and root for the Palestinians or anyone in the Middle East because their main export is oil
    or in this case Anti-Semitism
    @AroundTheWorld
    @tallanvor
    @basso

Those Hamas 1999 Toyota Tacomas don't run on clean 91 octane gas from Chevron breh
    Digging all those tunnels isn't really good for the planet either

basso likes this.
  4. HTM

HTM Member

5. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

6. astros123

astros123 Member

LOL i'm sorry reported me for what? Claiming that invading the most dense area in the world without a proper evacuation is genocidal? You want me to apologize for saying the truth? Eff off

Anyone who thinks a evacuation of rafah isn't needed is a genocidal maniac. You're looking at 200k+ dead. You loser

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

@AroundTheWorld @tinman @K9Texan @Salvy @El_Conquistador You guys have turned this forum into a wasteland. A real paradise for monkeys flinging poo. You are the Marjorie Taylor Green and Matt Gatz of the conservatives here. If liberals are for it, it must be bad, so you’re against it.

@rocketsjudoka @FranchiseBlade @Invisible Fan @SamFisher @durvasa I appreciate you trying to make the arguments you all make. But you can’t win against the deluge of Social Media posts.

@Space Ghost @DonnyMost @basso @Commodore I don’t agree with your worldviews but I recognize that they are consistent. I do appreciate your views.

@ROXRAN same for you.
    @deb4rockets I am sorry that you’re constantly dogpiled for being a woman.

@astros123 stop calling everyone dumb who disagrees with you. You are the equivalent to the first bunch.

As for myself. I am a useless poster similarly not adding meaning to the conversation. I am reactionary and need to also take a break.

Pray for peace. Remember those are real people in Israel and Palestine. And every bullet fired and bomb dropped is a family losing a son, a father, or a brother. They may not look like you, but they’re just as human as you.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

UN General Assembly backs Palestinian bid for membership | Reuters
    May 10, 2024

UNITED NATIONS, May 10 (Reuters) - The United Nations General Assembly on Friday overwhelmingly backed a Palestinian bid to become a full U.N. member by recognizing it as qualified to join and recommending the U.N. Security Council "reconsider the matter favorably."

The vote by the 193-member General Assembly was a global survey of support for the Palestinian bid to become a full U.N. member - a move that would effectively recognize a Palestinian state - after the United States vetoed it in the U.N. Security Council last month.

The assembly adopted a resolution with 143 votes in favor and nine against - including the U.S. and Israel - while 25 countries abstained. It does not give the Palestinians full U.N. membership, but simply recognizes them as qualified to join.

The resolution "determines that the State of Palestine ... should therefore be admitted to membership" and it "recommends that the Security Council reconsider the matter favorably."

9. tinman

Supporting Member

woke people on the d&d are just Jeremy Lin fans coping after he's out of the NBA
    this is just fact pal

Salvy likes this.
  10. astros123

astros123 Member

@Nook mentally unstable psychotic behavior

Nook likes this.
  11. tinman

Supporting Member

99ers still rule this place
    @Space Ghost

Gods are Gods

Space Ghost likes this.
  12. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I don’t even know what you mean by woke. It’s just a slur for people you don’t like. Like calling people MAGAts.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

It's a mind virus that has clearly infected the fat people (men, women, people who think they are the wrong sex)

@Salvy
    @ROXRAN
    @Os Trigonum

It's fun though, it's like a bunch of zombies in that game plants vs zombies
    you know the plants are smarter than the zombies

Salvy likes this.
  14. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The world wants to give Hamas its own UN-membered state as a reward for Oct. 7th. That's amazing.

I'm not against Palestinians having their own state but not with Hamas in charge. There would have to be a complete reform government not backed by terrorists hell bent on the destruction of Israel.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Thanks for the callout but as said earlier I have no illusions that we at Clutchfans can make much of a difference. I’m inly posting now because I’m stuck in hurry up and wait mode again with work and I’m nursing a knee injury. I don’t recommend an inflamed patellar.

What this is though is a reflection of widespread attitudes among college students to political leaders and in all cases I do think this issue is dangerously simplified and as such it’s become very easy to dehumanize either side.

I said this at the beginning that what happened October 7th was an atrocity and no one deserves to be at a music festival to suddenly be attacked by people on paragliders. To have people brutally murdered, sexually assaulted and taken hostage. At the same time the children of Gaza don’t deserve to be bombed and starved. Each side though claims that only their pain matters and only they are the victims.

16. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

A virus that had infected fat people?
    42% of Americans are obese. 12% worldwide. Fat people exist.

About 1% of people are transgender. They are bullied for being different. Notably on here.

I still can’t grasp how you co-opted a word that was used to mean you were aware of systemic injustices toward black people in the US and turned it into a “mind virus that infects fat people”.

astros123 likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

While I do believe there should be a Palestinian state I don’t agree with this. This is virtue signaling as at the moment there is no viable Palestinian state and even if Israel
    We’re to fully withdraw suddenly from both Gaza and the West Bank there wouldn’t suddenly be a viable Palestinian state as they aren’t unified politically.

This is purely a symbolic move that I don’t think actual moves the situation closer to peace.

18. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

100% the future of Palestine cannot be Hamas.

ROXRAN and Amiga like this.
  19. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Self-imposed report and deadline... I believe it was to find if Israel violated the US law that weapons supplied to Israel from the US can only be used for defensive purposes and not offensive purposes

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/us-...aza-no-violations-arms-law/story?id=110107413

Upcoming report from Biden admin does not conclude Israel violated law in Gaza: Sources
    A U.S. official said the report is highly critical of some of Israel's actions.

An upcoming report from the Biden administration examining Israel’s use of American-supplied arms does not conclude that the country violated international or U.S. law in Gaza, according to two sources familiar with the assessment, which has not yet been released.

Despite these findings, a U.S. official added that the report is still highly critical of some of the actions Israel has taken through the course of its military campaign against Hamas.

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I don't know what's the meaning of these votes and why people are so upset over it (when/if it's just "messaging"). Whatever the case, there won't ever be a Palestinian state without Israel and Palestine (PLO) coming to a political solution, one that the US will be involved in (and probably the Saudis).