1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Halloween?] Why are you scared of spiders, or anything smaller than you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Oct 31, 2009.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Your shoe. A Spider. Your newspaper rolled up. A Spider. Your Flyswater. A Spider. Your youngest kid. A Spider. Anything you throw at it is bigger than the spider... yet you still miss? FAIL. :p You deserve to get your ass retaliated upon for "missing", señor Gordito BastardoGordo.

2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Honestly, dude I didn't even know you had this thread.

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

I was kiddin'. It seemed you'd have taken your idea from this thread, though. ;)

4. Fatty FatBastard

You telling me that you've never walked into a web or seen a spider run into hiding before you swat them?

It's just an uneasy feeling. Especially in your car.

5. Depressio

Depressio Member

You know what environments brown recluses enjoy? The folds of your clothes on the ground or in your hamper.

Do you know what a surprise brown recluse bite can do to you? Yeaaaahh.

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

If a spider is on my wall 20 feet from me it is no immediate threat but I'm not interested in letting him run free in my house to potentially bite me later.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

:eek: A web!!! OMG!!!! Ewww get it off me!!! :rolleyes:

Yeah, NO. It's not scary. Yes, I have walked into one. Which one are we discussing here, a web, or a spider? Please.
    You're telling me you don't check clothes before putting them on :confused: ? Not to say I do that ALL the time, but at least I check my clothes and closet for spiders and such stuff, and we wash often. I can't let that happen, man. Yeah, it can bite me. If it bites me, so it does. But I am not scared of it if I see it before it bites me. That's my point.

At least you're not screamin' like a little elementary school girl, are you, Dave_78? :D

8. joesr

joesr Member

I think its because when you dont see it or it goes into a small crack that you cant get too. But now you know its around.

Its not being afraid of the small 8 legged bug but more of the potential venom it carries.

Also, sometimes these damn buggers just look scary.

Growing up in Hawaii, banana spiders.

[​IMG]

Growing up in Colorado, damn wolf spiders, I think thats what they were, hairy as hell.

What about those dman camel spiders, yeah I know they arent here but I would scream like a little girl if thise thing was just chillin watching me type this reply.

[​IMG]

9. Depressio

Depressio Member

Wait, you check your clothes for spiders?

Who's scared now? :D

10. Major Malcontent

My brother got bit by a brown recluse...they had to cut out a hunk of his leg all the way to the bone.

I tend to give harmless spiders a wide berth lest they turn out to be one of the 2 fairly bad kind.

11. nickb492

nickb492 Member

Watched Arachnophobia when I was little and ever since then I've always been creeped out by spiders. And living in the country for the point being you see some big ass spiders not normally seen in the city too.

12. joesr

joesr Member

You have so what answers with a so what attitude. If it bites me it bites me.

Its not the web that is scary when you run into it. Its the fact that an unknown entity could still be on the web.

in reality I do not think any one here has arachnophobia. I think everyone is just worried about the post bite effect.

I'm not scared of bee's but I sure as hell know they hurt when you get stung. So I dont want to get stung.

I'm not scared of fire ants but you wont catch me standing on a ant hill.

Check clothes?? Dude now I know your just lying. Your telling me you turn your clothes inside out to check purposely for spiders...? When your about to sport your Rockets cap the first thing you think about is where the spider could be hiding inside of it? Cmon now, your making an answer for every little thing just to have an answer.

:mad:

1 person likes this.
  13. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

^ :D Just say you're not scared of the spider itself, but of it biting you. When you put on your clothes, are you in a dark closet or room? No. You SEE the clothes, not necessarily thinking "am I going to see a spider? I hope not!" but just looking at your clothes before you put them on. Underwear? Sure. Socks? Ok. But shirts and hats and such things as your Rockets' '94 Champs dark hat? Yeah, they could be hiding in there. But I don't necessarily get SCARED if I see one. If you noticed, I said I don't check ALL the time.

So it's a small creature that looks like it does a lot of damage. Yeah, I have a "so what" attitude. BECAUSE IT'S SMALLER THAN ME. If it bites me, it bites me, OK, but I am not scared of a spider on the wall, on my clothes, on the ground. I stomp the crap out of it. :eek:

14. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

Do you have any phobia at all? Do you watch scary movies late at night and then not want to go to the restroom or some empty room by yourself? You know it's all irrational since there's no such thing as ghosts but you're scared anyway?

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I saw brown recluse bite wounds as a kid, that pretty much ruined spiders for me forever.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

Um, no, sir, no phobia. I don't believe in GHOSTS, either. I do believe in Patrick Swayze inside Whoopi Goldberg, though. :eek:

I can tell you that I am a bit cautious outside my house in the dark of the night sometimes, for I can't see ALL AROUND ME. Cautious is not the same as scared.

There's an explanation for the woman hollering scenario, the creatures flying across the sky at night, and noises in places where people claim there are ghosts.

I am scared of a spider NONE, though.

17. aghast

aghast Member

Potential lethality? The chance of severe necrosis from a spider bite? There aren't many poisonous spiders in the United States, but most of us aren't zoologists, and can't tell the harmless from the bad. Also, our childhoods taught us that any kind of insect bite is painful, and to be avoided. Spiders remind us of what it was to be young, and naive, and then get bitten; some of us prefer to keep that lesson learned.

A bullet is smaller than you, as is a mugger's knife. Yet I'm pretty frightened of each, and keep my distance if I know they're in the vicinity. An ampule of cyanide is smaller than you, but like a spider's venom will potentially kill you.

Smaller than me = not dangerous to me is not exactly a foolproof threat detection system.

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

As I posted in the other spider thread, I have a friend that's getting over a really bad spider bite right now. Not cool. She didn't see it, so doesn't know what, but it's a bad bite and this has been from two weeks ago.

We get bark scorpions all the time, and you do have to check your clothes and shoes and stuff. I mean, you don't have to, but...

So, if I see a spider across the room? Not afraid, but might wanna kill it/get rid of it just so I don't wonder where it's 8 legs are gonna take it while I'm sleeping. The thought that there might be a nasty spider or scorpion in my shoe or tshirt or something? Yeah, I concern myself with it... I don't know you'd call it fear, but I am a bit obsessive about it since I encounter about 10 scorpions a year in close quarters.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

LOL No, I don't.

Actually, if the spider is very small or one that I don't think will bite me later I often leave them alone. If the spider is bigger and I suspect can give me a painful bite then I kill it. I do the same thing if I find a bee or wasp inside. No point in leaving something around that could be a danger later.

20. aghast

aghast Member

Also, spiders threaten traditionally American chauvinistic ideals.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ojDCmlhBhxw&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ojDCmlhBhxw&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

That's also why I am, subconsciously & consciously, terrified of seahorses.