1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Halloween?] Why are you scared of spiders, or anything smaller than you?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Oct 31, 2009.

1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

I read someone's story on a facebook thread about killing a spider inside his car... then other people posted how they were scared of spiders.

My question is: why are you--a human being--scared of spiders, creatures much much smaller than you? :confused:

I can understand if it crawls on your shoulder and you're surprised, or if someone hangs it over your face *that's what she said*, but a spider... crawling... or on a wall... and you're scared? I mean, I can probably understand how some kids or women might be scared... but once you're an adult... take off your shoe, grab a newspaper, and smash the living daylights out of it, and you're done.

I just don't think it has any logic. C'mon, now. :rolleyes:

I'd like to discuss WHY.

2. J-Mac

J-Mac Member

If there was a deadly cobra in front of you, would you be scared?

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

4. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Member

Well I am scared of bees and wasps because i've been stung a few times and it effin' hurts. :eek:

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I picked up a cicada when I was about 5. Just messing with it and then it starting buzzing very loudly in my hands. My parents say I cried and screamed, etc... been scared of certain bugs ever since. Particularly the ugly ones. Preying Mantis & stink bugs terrify me. I am put-off more by bugs than I am legitimate threats like snakes, tigers, bears, etc...

6. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

Yesterday morning I was pouring a bowl of cereal while I was still halfway asleep. As I'm pouring the milk, this huge freaking spider (the rain from the night before prob brought him inside) jumps out of the bowl and scares the living **** out of me. Needless to say, he was sent into the afterlife pretty fast. They are just creepy and I had a few run-ins with poisonous spiders during my childhood.

7. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

My answer would be NO, because I would find a way to get away or not to scare it into defending itself against me. :eek:

But that's a totally different animal that's bigger and longer *that's what she said* with much more potent venom and FASTER. There's little to no comparison, sir.

8. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

you are the TWSS king

9. Mr. Brightside

I'm not afraid of spiders. I sometimes let them run on my hand. I can't stand roaches though.

10. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

There is something of an alien intelligence/sentience about them that is creepy, as if they are plotting something.

I have a nasty spider bite right now; the yard is full of them, and they make these huge webs that I end up running right through in the a.m.

Maybe its their eyes, or the eight legs that makes them so alien.

The small size can actually be scarier than if they were a little larger. As in, I've walked through the web (again) and... do I feel something moving on my head, or is that my imagination? Is that the feeling of eight tiny legs on my neck, moving into my shirt?

11. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

some spiders are venomous, the few with arachnophobia were the ones that checked every corn to make sure there were no spiders in their cave, thus the likeliness of the trait being passed on

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

THIS is the original thread Manny copied. :p
    OK, if they're bigger than you, or in a group, I can see why, but... if they're smaller... and are slow on their legs... why be scared of them? I still don't see the logic. :eek:

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Member

exactly!

[​IMG]

too soon?

14. LCII

LCII Member

It's a fear instinct we inherited from our ancestors. The humans that didn't fear insects, snakes, and other nasty creatures had a higher chance of being in mortal danger. Survival of the fittest...or most cautious.

I mean, can you imagine a world where everyone was like Steve Irwin, aka the Crocodile hunter? Obviously that guy did not have the fear-of-nasty-creatures gene in him and look what happened to him...

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Member

Get bit by a teeny tiny brown recluse spider that you never even see.

Come tell us about your experience after 6 months.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Member

The question is not "Hey, why are you so mad and sick from getting bit by a spider, you guys??!?!? It's fun!" :rolleyes:

The question is "why are you scared of such small animal?" because you see it and then you can stomp on it, kill it, run away from it, etc.

Getting bit by it is a totally different question, sir. I know that's nothing to smile about. :eek:

17. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

3rd grade:

I was wrestling with my bro in the backyard and when I stood up my white t-shirt was COVERED with ants...moving ants...biting ants.

To this day I can't wipe all those ants off. The image of them on me is so vivid...even today.

Does this mean I'm scared of them? I don't think so, but I'm sure that experience programmed me to be VERY careful around those little boogers, and to be honest I think I kept some of the same reactions....aaaaiiiiiiiiiiihhhhhhhhh, MOMMMMMMMMMM!

18. Yonkers

Yonkers Member

I'm scared of **** roaches. Not phobia scared where if I see a picture of them in a book I can't touch the book anymore. (My wife is like that with snakes.)
    But if they crawl on my skin I'll scream like a little girl. And they're friggin fast and hard to kill. You smash them with a newspaper, turn to get a paper towel to clean up, turn back and they're gone. Risen from the dead like Jason.
    Yeah, they're smaller than me but just so damned icky. They pop when you step on them. Bleh!

19. Convictedstupid

Im not a big fan of cockroaches... I wont jump back. Theyre just pretty gross.

Only insect I am 'afraid' of are scorpions.

20. Fatty FatBastard

Because you could miss, and they could retaliate.

Hell hath no wrath like a pissed-off spider.