1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Halloween Thread] Who here does not give out candy?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Phillyrocket, Oct 31, 2007.

1. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I've always wondered this because everyone I knew growing up loved Halloween and spent many hours decorating and buying candy, etc. Then there was always those houses that the porch light would be on but you would knock and knock and no one would answer. Why would you do not give out candy? Religious reasons? Lazy? Hate kids? Other? Maybe you're out partying? Don't want this to be a D&D topic but I always wondered.....

2. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

The reason I never give out candy is I have 2 beagles that go absolutely ape **** any time someone comes to the door. I always leave my porch light off though to avoid confusion.

3. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

I have always passed out candy ever since I stopped trick or treating. However, this year I didn't buy any. I am one of a small handful of straight men in the most flamin' part of Houston. I have never seen kids around the neighborhood. I didn't forsee any trick or treaters that were looking for candy.

4. bigbadjon_e

bigbadjon_e Member

HOORAY FOR BEAGLES!!!

5. YourSecretLover

I really don't decorate the house much but I do give out candy.

People who don't give out candy are douche bags seriously

6. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Probably a good idea, I was attacked once by a dog when the owner opened the door to hand out the goods.

7. Realjad

Realjad Contributing Member

I bought a lot of candy last year and had about 3 trick or treaters... thus I ended up eating all the candy I bought which isn't cool since I'm sort of a health fanatic.

So for that I will not be handing candy out this year, but I will turn my porch light off.

Back in the day the streets were FILLED with kids trick or treating.. What the hell happened, has our society fallin that much?

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

uh, not everyone cares about halloween.

9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

yea man, it's kind of depressing. by this time, 15 years ago the door would be opening and closing non-stop. so far, there's only been 2 trick or treaters.

10. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

9/11 happened.

11. micah1j

micah1j Member

I don't give out candy. Get your own. :p

12. as_sstomper

as_sstomper Member

Over the last couple of years I hadnt had anybody come to my house either. So I didn't bother to buy any candy this year. I just left my porch light off.
    But trick or treating hasnt been very big in Deer Park (where I live) since that dude killed his son with poison in the pixie stick and blamed it on the halloween candy he had gotten. Hell I think that was back in the 80's.

13. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I don't because I am in class right now.

14. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

I wouldnt want my kids eating candy from random people...

15. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I thought these were neighbors not random people.... :confused:

Besides you may choose not to let your kids go out and trick or treat but why not give candy to those that do? :)

16. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I've had one family with two little girls. That's it. It is now 8:00pm.

Makes me sad.

17. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Only had about 2 kids come so far, both groups were at least 13-14 years old.

18. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

It seems like a lot of people go to the mall or similar places instead of house to house. Another tradition going down the tubes.... :(

19. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

I grew up in a fairly religious family, and we didn't celebrate Halloween. I would imagine, given the number of Christian fundamentalist-type churches in this town, that some of the porch lights that are out are because of similar views.

What sucked for me is I got to trick or treat until I was about six years old, and then I had to stop. My little sister didn't care as much, because she didn't know the difference, but for me it was torture. To this day, I don't really like Halloween at all. Too many bad memories of having to go to church or staying home with the lights out.

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i just had some 15 year olds.

i had some autistic kid telling me Merry christmas, and then his dad telling me he meant Happy Halloween.

We have a few kids in our neighborhood, but I didn't see them.