1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Half Life 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Chicken Boy, Nov 15, 2004.

1. Chicken Boy

Chicken Boy Member

Does anybody have it? Looks sweet...too bad I'm broke as a joke and can't pick a copy up anytime soon. IGN gave it a 9.7

limk

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Going to get it sometime in the next month, once I pick up a nvidia 6800 graphics card.

3. DrewP

DrewP Contributing Member

outpost.com has it for 34.99 (shows up after you put it in your basket)

4. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

I don't have it and I probably won't get it for a while. Like you, I don't really think I can get that many more games at the moment. (stupid great games coming out all at the same time) I want to play this game ASAP though. I was looking forward to this and Doom 3 as far as great new FPS. Doom 3 slightly underachieved I think, but it looks like that may not be the same with HL2. I'm hoping I can play ok on my PC if/when I ever do get it; I was able to play Doom 3 better than I thought I would, but my hardware is starting to get pretty dated, at least when it comes to playing games like these. IIRC, it seemed like Valve wouldn't send out the reviewable copies but made the reviewers come to them to play the game on their PC's, which were pretty nice.

I'm wondering how the mods for this will turn out. There were a pretty good number of great mods for HL1, and I can't wait to see what people can come up with a couple of years from now. That's one awesome thing about it; you can buy it four years from now, never play the actual game, and have a great time with all the mods.

I still need to play Halo 2 as well, so hopefully I can find out which is the better FPS, although there may not be much competition here from what I can see. (*jab* *jab*) ;)

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is available at Valve.com as a download.

I am buying it through Steam as a download so the developer gets the money instead of the greedy backstabbing publishers like Vivendi.

DD

6. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

just purchaced it.

this game has the most amazingly overwrought copy protection I have ever seen. I'm in the process of running it for the first time, more than 15 minutes have passed, and the game is still trying to validate the CD key (which is of the complexity and format of a MS Office or Windows XP key).

7. RC Cola

I guess that is what happens when all the games are pirated. Doom 3, Halo 2 and GTA:SA all got leaked, some in more ways than one IIRC. And that doesn't even include the problems with HL2. I wonder if more games, at least on the PC, will follow HL2's lead and do something similar in the future.

That is a good point. I thought I remember reading something a little while back on how Valve wanted to release it only through Steam, but you know their publishers wouldn't let that happen. It would be pretty cool if the developers could find ways to make it secure enough to download it legally. That would probably make things MUCH more easier, not to mention more money for the guys who developed it.

I haven't messed with Steam at all (didn't even know what it was not that long ago). When I'm ready financially and hardware wise, I'll definitly consider going that route. IIRC, HL2 had a budget of like $40 million, which is a lot more than a normal game. I thought I read somewhere that $5-10 million is somewhat average; maybe DaDakota can better explain this since I'm basically going off something I think I read a while back. With what Valve has put into in developing both the Source engine (which looks freaking awesome) and HL2 (also looking freaking awesome), I'd like to make sure they get well paid. I'm assuming they'll make some pretty good money anyways with the Source engine (Vampire: The Masquerade anyone?), but they deserve some for HL2 as well. I'm guessing that if they are well enough financially, they don't have to worry about money and can focus on pumping out more great games and engines.

8. bottlerocket

bottlerocket Member

Didn't they steal the source code for HL2 early this year?

9. RC Cola

Yeah. I believe that was part of the reason for the delay since I believe it was supposed to be released a year ago. I even read some reports speculating that they did it themselves in order to come up with an excuse to delay the game, but then again, I've also read stories on how Microsoft and Rockstar purposely leaked Halo 2 and GTA:SA so that they could get a little extra buzz going about their games. I doubt any of that is even remotely true though.

10. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Picked up my copy today, the graphics are just amazing. I shouldn't buy it just before the finals, now I won't have times to study :p

11. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

you think I can play the game with a

AMD 2400+
    512 MB DDR
    Geforce 4 ti4200

:confused:

12. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

http://news.gamewinners.com/index.php/news/1361/

I have a 3GHz P4 box with a no-name-brand 128mb video card, and it ran smooth as hell.

13. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

You might beable to.

ack....didn't see the above post.

14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't played it yet, but I find the facial structure and speech animations facinating. From what I have read, you can create a WAV file if you are creating a Mod for it, and the game engine figures out the appropriate mouth movements of the characters based on the sounds the WAV file make. That allows for some pretty cool mods, I would think...which has been a staple of Valve's other games, as I recall. I really really want to get this game, but I haven't upgraded my video card or RAM in over 3-4 years. I know I wouldn't be getting the full benefits of this game, and I don't really have the cashola to upgrade. Maybe some day.

15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

This is the most incredible game I have played in years. It is amazing, and makes doom look like hammered dog poo.

HL2 is a great triumph...ok, so it took 6 years and 40 million to develop but...MAN !!

DD