1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeems done

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Crazy Fool, Jul 18, 2001.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

I would rather have Maurice Taylor playing center than Dream...not b/c he would be by any stretch of the imagination a more effective center than Dream, but b/c Dream will disrupt our offense by clogging the lane and demanding touches....he will simply delay the growth of this team by an extra, and possibly(ugh), 2 years...

------------------

2. Crazy Fool

Crazy Fool Member

I would like to see the Rockets sign Marc Jackson. Your right ren cooper there is nothing wrong with signing him for one season then looking for a goof FA center next season. But i think Marc Jackson would be a nice fit for the rockets. Hes not really tall guy but he works hard and can get on the boards. [​IMG]

------------------

3. Mr. T

Mr. T Member

How many times to I have to tell you foo's that no other teams can offer Dream more money -- I say play hardball with the foo' -

I want that sucka to play here more than anybody - but the only "Dream" he has left -- is the "Dream" that he still has more than 20 min. a night of game left in him

[​IMG]

------------------
    "I find that the harder I work... the more luck I have" -- Thomas Jefferson
    "Weezie !!" -- George Jefferson

4. Crazy Fool

Crazy Fool Member

uhhh mr. t someone already said toronto will offer hakeem more money than houston [​IMG]

------------------

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Doesn't mean it's true... Toronto is over the cap and can't offer anything but the 4.5 M exception to Hakeem.

------------------
    Draftsource.net-- the premier source for draft info. Profiles, rankings, mock drafts, and more!

The Mo Taylor Fan Site

6. Crazy Fool

Crazy Fool Member

oh ok cat thanks for clearing that up for me [​IMG]

------------------

7. Shandon Anversen

[​IMG]

hold up, T....err Mr. T....!

how many of these anecdotal messages from A-Team and Planet of the Apes do you have?!! are you gonna be a two minute T or a permanent T?

oh, and yea, hakeem is basically an injury waiting to happen. that said, at least we'll get SOME games out of him.

kathy cato can't say the same.

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

hey shandon. Get in line. I asked Mr. T a question, first.

We can't all be pestering him with questions. He might pithy us, again.

9. Crazy Fool

Crazy Fool Member

i watched Hakeem in some games last year and read about his stats... all he does to really help the rockets is rebound... a few points, not anymore steals(like used to have), maybe a block every 7 games, and some assists... Hakeem just isn't a dream anymore.... so the rockets should get their heads out of the dirt and sign Marc Jackson. right? [​IMG]

------------------

10. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

Mr. T...u are one fudged up mofo, but u make me laugh. By the way, can u hook me up w/ that girl in the bikini on your 1800-Collect commercial...u know the hot one who almost dialed collect? If not, at least post a pic of her for me.

About Hakeem. I would like him back but certainly not for 2 years and certainly not for over 5 milion a year. A few people are defending him saying that he is better than the players we are paying more to. I guess I can see where he's coming from, but he made a ton of money earlier in his career so money shouldn't be an issue, especially when he probably made over 60 million just on contracts alone. The dude has been paid and now he wants to prevent others from getting paid who could be on our team long term. He isn't being a team player and being a team player requires some sacrifices that he isn't willing to make. If he still maintains his stance, he will get waved and will make less than what we offered b/c no one has money to offer him.

------------------

11. Crazy Fool

Crazy Fool Member

yes rocketteen! [​IMG] if we sign him it should be under 5 mil for one year, but other than that.... we shouldn't

------------------

12. Shandon Anversen

stop talkin' that jibba jabba, crispee!

Mr. T knows i was B.A. Baracas' biggest fan!!!

------------------
    shandn has no "o".

13. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Mr T.,

You Rock....Best Poster award has to go to you..

Crazy Fool??
    Yeah, lets have a starting rotation of Kelvin Cato for 5 minutes till he fouls out or gets hurt and Jason Collier who might be in the same predicament. Oh yeah, but we can put Mo or Grif at center against Shaq, DRob, Divac, Raef and other western centers...(sarcasm noted please*)
    Hakeem is the best center available on the market even if he plays 20 minutes a night. The only other concievable choice could be Arvydas Sabonis, with his outside shooting, passing and the new defensive zone rules could help us considerably. I would choose dream though based on personal bias..

------------------

14. Crazy Fool

Crazy Fool Member

sabonis is a dog he has so many injuries he makes Ricky Williams(RB for the saints) jealous... sure sabonis can hit the three probably better than any other center in the league but hes just to old and slow to be a force in the inside [​IMG]

------------------

15. Ren Cooper

Ren Cooper Member

Pippendagimp,that would be true about Dream clogging the lane asking for more touches a few years ago but I believe he will settle for mostly midrange jumpshots like last season,which would open the lanes.I think Dream is good for 12-15 points,about 7or8 rebounds,and a block and a steal a game.

Dream STILL plays just as good of defense as any center in the league 1on1,IMO!

I would love Marc Jackson,but I dont see us signing him Crazyfool.He could also bring the defending teams center out to guard his nice jump shot which would open up the lanes for are guards to penetrate,and he can also get some rebounds for you.

------------------
    AKA Rendiggler

16. rocketteen

rocketteen Member

If worse comes to worse, and we don't get our ideal center this year, Chicago could trade us Brad Miller...someone who is hardnosed and does the dirty work. Mr. Oily already said he's not in agreement w/ this contract for Dream. Most of us want him back, but there is no way he should be back at the expense of the teams future. In 2 years, I want to be watching a perennial playoff team, not a team who's rebuilding is taking longer than it should have b/c a Houston icon wanted to screw us over for just a few more million dollars.(Yes a few million dollars is a lot to most of us, including myself, but someone like Hakeem who is major banking already, doesn't need a couple of more million dollars.) We don't owe Hakeem and he doesn't owe us, he may deserve more money b/c he still has more talent than others, but we just can't stranglehold our options like that by locking him up lock term or with a steep contract.

------------------

17. Crazy Fool

Crazy Fool Member

right? isn't sabonis over the hill now? and he could've been great but too many injuries... and i don't think sabonis whould fit in well with the rockets

------------------

18. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

Well then Crazy Fool,

You Are 100% Right...Sabonis and Hakeem suck....Who do you propose we start?
    Howabout Walt, Cato and a second round pick for Shaq? (sarcasm)

I think through Mr. T's lunacy he has a point that we are the only real option for Dream. I think we can sign him on a two year 10-12 million dollar deal. Rudy Knows Hakeem has a huge sense of pride and i'm sure took the early chris webber sweepstakes personally. Now Rudy is publically saying he needs Hakeem, and Francis is saying it as well to stoke his ego, he will probably sign a nice two year deal for 10-12 pretty soon. Options? Chicago, Detroit, Clips?? Sorry but no and I don't think he'll get anything close to that going to Washington to play with MJ and CB...

------------------

19. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

Ahhh, I see the trolling is good today.

On a side note, I wonder how many games Crazy Fool and Pippendagimp watched last season?

------------------
    Protrolls.com!

"I want to be like Olajon." -Sagana Diop has the right idea...

Keep the ???? alive!

20. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

The Hakeem issue is one of age and health as much if not more than money.

Everybody remembers the 13 game stretch last season when Hakeem was jumping (yes his feet actually left the court) for rebounds and blocks. He dunked ally-oops and ran the court. He averaged something like 15 pts, 11 bds, 1.5 blks during that time. Everybody was shocked including the Rocket organization.

That is the Hakeem everyone wants back not the one who can't get his shot off on single coverage and hurts in transition defense and averages 9 pts. 5 rbs. and .5 blks.

All somebody has to do is figure which Dream will be playing next 2 years and if its the good one you go all out for him. I mean I would pay him 10 mil/ yr. for what he did in those 13 games if it translated to about 60-70% of the season and the playoffs.

But if we resign Dream for anywhere from 4.5-12 mil and he can't jump, run and block (like the start of last season) then know one will be happy and we all will feel ripped.

Because I don't know or I can't project his health and effort for next season I think to resign him for 1 or 2 yrs is just a risk you take. If I was the Rockets this is what I would ask dream- Are you healthy and can you do what you did last season? Have the doctors put him through extensive testing. Cause if he can do what he did during those 13 games IMHM he's probably overall a top 5 center in the league -

------------------