1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem's Clothing Line

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Kruze10, Dec 31, 2010.

1. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

HOUSTON - Former Rockets star Hakeem Olajuwon had a magnificent NBA career leading the Rockets to back-to-back world championships in the 90s with his career culminating with selection to the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame two years ago.

Since leaving the game Hakeem has also been very successful as a businessman especially in the area of commercial real estate.

One of Olajuwon's lifelong passions has been designing clothes and this week he is launching his first selections through his new website: www.dr34m.com .

- Mark Berman

Hakeem Launches New Clothing Line

$75 for a t-shirt? I don't think so Dream.

2. highstep

highstep Member

He should release a pair of skinny jeans.

3. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Didn't he used to endorse etonic cause poor kids couldn't afford nike, and now he is pedaling 60 dollar tshirts.

I guess time change.

4. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

this is awesome.

5. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

6. houstonhoya

houstonhoya Contributing Member

think deeper than that.. if dream were to ever put out a clothing line himself, the products offered would be made:

of the finest materials
    in the USA
    by well-paid, respected labor
    with the utmost care

that makes for a hell of a price tag, but dream don't halfass nothing, so i don't see why you're surprised. this ain't starter or la gear or wal mart generic clothing brands made in sweatshops.

and for an upstart independent clothing line? honestly, this stuff is moderately priced considering the aformentioned. come on..

7. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Not a New Clothing Line but correctly called as New Casual Clothing Line , to differentiate from dressy clothing. Yetti :p

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Ya, I gotta agree with you. Having Japanese denim brought over and constructed here normally would start around $200 - $250. He could make his clothes cheaper if he were willing to skimp on quality or move production to some dirt poor country but given the baseline for quality and the fact it's made in limited numbers in the USA, his prices are pretty reasonable - especially compared to similarly outfitted brands.

9. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

That's some pricey stuff. 175$ for a pair of jeans.

10. J-Man

J-Man Member

If Dream's t-shirts are 75$ already imagine what his shoes are gonna be...

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

It was actually Spalding who were selling his shoes at the time for cheap (around $20) and I bought one and had him autograph it. Considering he is not a current sports icon anymore (most younger generation NBA fans don't even know who this legend is anymore, so children are not going to be asking their parents to buy his shoes. His new business is aimed at people who like his line of clothes and is willing to pay for it. I doubt the Dream changed, just his target audience.

12. JCDenton

JCDenton Member

You realize those $250 jeans cost less than $50 to make don't you? Even when you go into a clothing store having a 75% off sale, they're still making a profit on the clothes.

13. yo

yo Contributing Member

These prices are a far cry from his $30 Spaldings you could find at Wal-Mart back in the day.

[​IMG]

14. chenjy9

Supporting Member

GTFO troll. You made a bet now honor it.

15. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I want a pair of these.

16. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

JCDenton wears Hakeem Pajama Jeans.

17. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

As big a dbag as he is, he's right.

18. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Well... its common sense and applies for any business that manufacturers raw material into an actual product. I don't actually care if he is right or now though, as he just needs to GTFO for being a troll. I just respond to every single one of his message I see to troll him back. XD

19. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Only because the Dream is too manly to sell panties or anal plugs. :grin:

20. jasonemilio

jasonemilio Member

I eagerly await a graph/chart with extrapolated data illustrating this. Please.