1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Hakeem vs. the Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roswell raygun, Oct 5, 2009.

1. roswell raygun

Brett Favre's game tonight against the Packers reminds me of the closest parallel in Rockets' history — Hakeem Olajuwon's year with Toronto and his two games against Houston.
    Just like Favre, Hakeem's first game against his former team came in his new home. On January 16, 2002, he had 6 points, 5 rebounds and 2 blocks as the Raptors defeated the Rockets in Toronto. His emotional return to Houston came two months later, with 7 points and 7 rebounds in a Rockets win.
    The sight of Hakeem in those hideous purple Toronto uniforms is one of the saddest memories in my years of following sports. He was our legend, our franchise, our Dream, and it was unsettling to see him associated with any other team.
    The comparison with Favre isn't perfect. There was less acrimony when Hakeem and Houston parted ways, and Olajuwon doesn't have the aura of vindictiveness that seems to motivate Favre. But even though I'm a Vikings fan, I can sympathize with Packers faithful tonight when they watch their one-time hero running around in a strange purple uniform.

2. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Interesting comparison.

Minus all the hype surrounding Favre tonight, it's pretty similar I believe.

3. LabMouse

LabMouse Member

I do not see a good comparsion here, Dream only scored 7 or 9 points, and Brett Favre just led his team a victroy with a unthinkable play last week. Dream was a role player, and Favre is still a star although the situation is similar.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think Jordan vs the Bulls was more interesting. Dream, that was his last legs. Kinda like Ewing with Seattle.

Rocket fans weren't 'angry' or anything.

However, Favre has ticked off a bunch of Packer fans.

5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Totally agree and Dream didn't do the would I wouldn't I BS that Farve has done. Jordan is a much better comparsion.

6. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Even Jordan vs the Bulls doesn't really compare to Farve vs Packers. Bulls fans cheered every time MJ scored. Farve is in a whole new territory. :D

7. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Don't know why, the Packers are the one's who released him.

The guy just want's to play and last week justifies that he still has it.

8. tinman

Supporting Member

I went to the game when Rudy came back here as Lakers coach.

9. Dream Shake 81

This topic hurts soooo bad.

10. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

Not the same.

Brett Favre is still a top level talent, whereas Hakeem was a shell of his former self back in 2002.

11. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Farve is still pretty good. I mean if farve was healthy the jets make the playoffs and who knows. If he wins the SB wonder what the GB fans will do. Hakeem just sucked with the raptors.

12. BrownBeast99

BrownBeast99 Member

Favre has all this drama surrounding him and he really wants to stick it real good to the Packers organization. A revenge sort of feeling. Hakeem didn't abhor the Rockets organization when he left, he just didn't feel respected. He didn't want to stick it in the face of the organization as bad as Favre currently does.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Well.. Hakeem couldn't stick it to the Rockets cause he wasn't the same player as before.

"old" dream would drop 40 points on Cato without breaking a sweat.

14. HPD

HPD Member

my thoughts exactly. but Bret is on a team w/ much more talent.

15. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

What are you guys going on about?

Hakeem never played for the (gasp) Raptors...he's Rockets 4 life.

16. Shaunjon

Shaunjon Member

yea we'll pretend like that last year never happened

17. Franchise2001

Franchise2001 Contributing Member

He should have retired with us, but we were ready to move on. His pride was too much to accept the fact that his legs were gone. Toronto paid him a lot of money if I remember correctly. Dark days :(

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He made an extra $5 million by playing in Toronto...or was it $10?...either way..good for him.

DD

19. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

There is no comparison. Wether it was a money grab or not Dream did it without all the drama. Hakeem can still call Houston his home, and every Houstonian holds him in high regard. Brett has burned too many bridges with the fans of Green Bay.

20. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Toronto was a bad team.
    The Vikings are a good team, so, to me, that's the biggest difference.