1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem v. Dikembe

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by t_mac1, Oct 9, 2010.

1. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/mUtJmDgIFI8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/mUtJmDgIFI8?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

don't know if this was uploaded yet but it's great seeing big man basketball. it's pretty much non-existent nowadays but you see it here. it's so amazing seeing dream just methodically doing his moves v. a great defender like deke and his outstretched arms. this further confirms my claims that hakeem is easily the mos skilled big man of all time and arguably the best 2-way player of all time.

it's like where do you see this type of competition nowadays b/t star players? i wish star players go at each other more often.

5 people like this.
  2. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

good watch. thanks.

3. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Man I love watching Dream play.

Thank god for teh internets.

4. mig0s

mig0s Member

holy **** that block by Mutombo at 4:15 is sick

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

"unstoppable"

This is what makes Dream the best center of all time, imso. He played in the era of the centers and completely dominated them. Plus he destroyed arguably the best team of all time before that era, Magic's defending champion Lakers. Then cocaine and Sampson's injuries took his team away.

The basketball HOF should actually display one of David Robinson's jock straps that got left on the floor in '95.

2 people like this.
  6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Dream carried that team on his back.

7. Akim523

Akim523 Member

I hate to admit it...but games back then were way tougher, way more physical than any team in the NBA right now.

8. windz

windz Member

06:35

matt bullard dunk? :eek:

9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Rockets win by 1.

:)

DD

10. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

I loved it at 5:35 where Rodney Rodgers tried to dunk the ball after the whistle was blown. Play was blown dead and Hakeem still blocked him.

11. TexasMan

TexasMan Member

LaPhonso Ellis could have been something great in this league if it weren't for the injuries.

12. arif1127

arif1127 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The thing that sticks out, other than the other worldly athleticism and ballerina like foot work by Hakeem, is how good his hands were. He caught every pass thrown his way, and when he sealed an opponent, he got the pass and knew what to do with it. Hakeem didn't hesitate. God, I miss that man, what a pleasure it was to watch him.

13. rocketsbay

rocketsbay Member

Laphonso looking good, Bullard with the dunk, Thorpe being a beast, Dream and that baseline jumper...man that was great. thanks for the video, basketball was more fun back then.

14. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

Best Center vs. the best backup Center in Rockets history!

Love to have both right now, even at their age.

15. plates300

plates300 Member

exactly. His motions in the post once he got the ball were so fluid and effortless. He never looked like he was out of control.

16. Francis 4 ever

we were lucky to have them both.

I would hate to be a slasher either team when you have dream and mutumbo guarding the rim

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Thanks for the clip.

I enjoyed watching that Denver group... they were a fun team.

Did you guys catch the one-handed fast break by OT? Man, I miss that guy... Thank you OT wherever you are.

And of course, Dream. How people can compare anyone playing today to Dream is beyond me. The guy was tough as nails and smooth as butter. Just the most complete center ever.

18. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

although the clip shows dream's greatness, it also showed that dikembe didn't back down from arguably the greatest center of all time. dream shook and jook him, deke continues to challenge his shots. he wasn't deterred.

that's what we lack with today's stars. star players should take pride in guarding other star players. and star players should go at other star players, even if the world thinks you're not as good.

as basketball fans, we all appreciate great basketball plays and games before anything else.

oh the nostalgia

19. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I enjoyed watching OT every bit as much as Dream.

:)

20. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

seemed like the players had a lot more passion for the game back then