1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem says he'll be playing for the Heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pole, Jan 31, 2001.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Give something to get something.

We won't get Jones, considering he went through a lot just to return home, and provides some of the team's only athleticism.

We won't get Mason. He just became an All-Star. He and Riley have a good working relationship (now).

Maybe Brian Grant. But we would have to include Shandon or Mo, probably. Grant/10 million cap filler (contracts will clear after this year) for Hakeem/Shandon-(or)-Mo.

If we're seriously talking to Vancouver, a combo of Cato and picks and these cap-clearing contracts (Ceballos, Majerle, Green, two of whom did not play last night, hint hint) might get SAR. The Grizz know no player wants to go there. Picks and the chance to dump cap space should do the trick.

I'm not saying this will happen. I like Shandon and Mo. But the West is big. We need big players.

------------------

2. Gypsy

Gypsy Member

I'd love to see Olajuwon play 25mpg, block 3-4 shots and grab 8-10 boards every night--it ain't gonna happen, not in Houston, life is not a fairy tale of happily ever after, wet dreams are a fantastic waste of bedsheets and phone lines.

Dream is incapable of adapting to Rudy's new system. The team is Steve-centric. What's more is that almost everyone except Hakeem himself says he's less than one step away from losing all the juice in his jam.

So should we keep him here as a role player? It'd be great for us, many of us feel he owes it to us out of loyalty as one half of a 20 year partnership. The thing is, this is a man's life. He wants to go on his own terms.

From the beginning I felt that it had no other ending--despite how much you hate it, how can you deny someone who gave you so much in the past? Hell, who's to say that he might not be right and take Miami where they've never been? I'll say it again: the thing is, how can you deny the old man his last chance?

But I'm with Clutch in that I hope it all gets over with soon.

[This message has been edited by Gypsy (edited February 01, 2001).]

3. rockit

rockit Contributing Member

Hey,

I tend to agree with TheFreak here. To argue over the severity of the actions of any of the players is stupid. I, along with all the posters, am upset and flabbergasted by Hakeem's comments. To imagine that a player of his class, or so we thought, would stoop this low is shocking, but nonetheless, I can't rip him apart, cuz I do still respect what he has done.

It is funny, a few years back when Dream made a comment about Oakleys antics, the article on ESPN stated something to the effect that when Hakeem says something about a player, the league listens cuz he is one of the classiest players in the NBA ... funny what a few years can do.

Also, none of us know what is happening behind closed doors. Rudy and CD are coming off as the nice guys, and Dream as the prick ... but we don't know all the details. Who here knows EXACTLY what was said behind closed doors??? Maybe Clutch, Doc Rocket and a few others are privy to the information, but most of us aren't. So, again, I don't feel that its our place to rip a person without having all the facts. Thats just my opinion on this, but it's still VERY VERY sad to see something like this happen. [​IMG]

Rockit

------------------

4. edc

edc Contributing Member

I really don't expect it to make much of a difference. When the new arena opens (assuming Hakeem doesn't "pull a Moses," and is out of the league by then), all this will be ancient history...a nasty footnote at the end of a great (Houston) career.

One thing is certain though...Les has a long memory, and I don't expect the organization to pay the penalty like they did for Clyde if the ceremony goes on longer than any other halftime.

------------------

5. htownclones

htownclones Member

I think dream is taking a knock on rudy. He is ungrateful. I think the trade is good. Get rid of Dream. Mase will make our club tough. He can also handle the rock as well as play defense.

bye Olajuwon!!!

from the miami article

Olajuwon praised Heat coach Pat Riley for understanding ``the game of big men.'' He hopes to experience that up close.

------------------

6. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Big difference about Barkley, and Francis and I don't know why The Freak keeps bringing this up. What does either one of those guys have to do with us? Why should we hate Francis for his war with Vancouver? Why should we hate Charles for comments made about Phoenix. We're not being hypocritical PHOENIX AND VANCOUVER should hate those guys not us? With that logic we shouldn't pick up Webber because his war with Golden State. Or why go after Rahim if he hates Vancouver right? Apples and oranges. You can't defend Dream by dragging up stuff that has no relations to the situation CURRENTLY! As for Dream, the sooner we're through with his b****ing the better. It's making me sick to my stomach listening to him whine DAY IN AND DAY OUT on ESPN about wanting out.

------------------
    No sleep and no trade info make RocksMillenium something, something!

7. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I agree w/ just about everyone else on the board...Hakeem has pushed one too many buttons for me. So, if he gets traded/waived and Miami signs him, I have one question? What does he do next year when Zo will likely return to the starting lineup? They will also have Grant and Mason on the frontcourt, making it even harder for him to get playing time. I don't think he's planning on retiring anymore, so what will he do in the offseason...sign w/ another team? I think a team like Pheonix would suit him better, or he could go East. But whatever the case, it's sad to see it end this way if it indeed does.

------------------
    "Steve is good. Steve is real good."
    -- Cleveland's rookie point guard Andre Miller on Rocket rookie point Steve Francis

8. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Now what the hell does Hakeem have to do before you realize he's being a complete ass here? Threaten to blow up the Compaq Center unless we trade/release him? I mean jeezus...come on.

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

9. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

Great post RocksMillenium. Right on.

10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

It's not like you'd have to worry about any casualties if that happened, seeing as it's always empty. It would probably be the first time that place ever made any noise.

11. RocksMillenium

I disagree with TheFreak on the Dream thing, but this just had me on the floor dying! [​IMG]

------------------
    No sleep and no trade info make RocksMillenium something, something!

12. slcrocket

slcrocket Contributing Member

LOL!! [​IMG] That was hilarious!!

------------------
    Jazzkiller

13. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Clutch --

I've read in various places that the Grizz's next deal will be one of their guards --- do we have an interest in Bibby or Dicky, or are we gunnin' for someone off Chicago..a Brand name of some sort...

------------------
    Hey now, Hey now, don't Dream it's over...

14. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Dream may well leaves but with all the dreamcasting going on here the Dream is most definitely alive.

We are fooling ourselves if you think Miami will give up Grant, Mason or Jones, subtracting one of these guys and adding Dream is of NO benefit to them. Additionally any one of those 3 guys may improve the rockets, but then we get stuck with rather long contracts and lose our cap room.

The only ways Dream gets to Florida are if the Rockets waive him or he gets traded and in return we receive every player on the Miami roster that has a contract that is in its last year. Another option would be a 3 way, but what would we get off a third team that would be worth the crap that Miami is willing to trade.

Stop Dreaming guys, keep the cap room!!!

Smeg

------------------
    CUT Tino
    These Heaves are just getting Ridiculous!

15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

POST OF THE YEAR

freak speaks the truth.

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

16. RocksMillenium

Sorry but that post was just an attempt to defend Dream. Bottomline, if Mobley was doing this the same people would be saying "Just get him out of here he's a cancer", but when it's Dream doing it it's "You guys are disrespecting Dream." What Charles and Francis did with their former teams doesn't justify what Dream is doing here. Besides you keep saying Francis undermined a draft, isn't Dream undermining the contract he signed with the Rockets?

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited January 31, 2001).]

17. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

are you serious!!!? what is olajuwon doing here that is so different?

------------------
    http://www.democrats.com

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

LOL! [​IMG]

I swear you must enjoy masochism.

That was hilarious.

------------------
    "No Brain Grant, no trade." -- Typos are a b**** as ZRB is holding Rocket trades hostage while he seeks a brain. Conspiracy theorists say this would explain why Hakeem has yet to be traded...

19. RocksMillenium

What Olajuwon doing ISN'T different. But Francis is hated in Vancouver, why should we be upset with Francis? If you use that logic then Miami fans should hate Dream for forcing the Rockets to waive him if it come to that.

------------------
    Dream a deadly Dream. . .

20. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This whole debate about if we should be pissed at Hakeem if we aren't pissed at Francis, Pippen, and Barkley reminds me of the old Gene Elston vs. Milo Hamilton debates. It's just a battle between are you a "homer rabid fan" or "a rationalist".

If you are a rationalist, you can easily understand what TheFreak is saying. You judge the person as an individual, not as "your player". Hakeem, Francis, Pippen, etc. all dissed their team. Yes, Hakeem's been around longer with his team, but it shouldn't matter as in all cases, a player has either directly or indirectly trashed his team. Judge them all alike.

If you are a homer, Hakeem was "one of us" for a long time and should know better. He has commited the ultimate act of treason - betraying your family. He is the most jacked of all jackasses (with the possible exception of Pippen).

Personally I don't think either is wrong.

There I go ridin' the fence again...

------------------
    "No Brain Grant, no trade." -- Typos are a b**** as ZRB is holding Rocket trades hostage while he seeks a brain. Conspiracy theorists say this would explain why Hakeem has yet to be traded...