1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem says he'll be playing for the Heat

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pole, Jan 31, 2001.

1. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

SAR and Grant.....hmmm..sounds like an asskicker.Even without a true Bigman,I'd love that.We could definitely deal with finding one later.....and dreamcasting a bit more...Shaq continues to sit...huhuh

------------------

[This message has been edited by hardwood (edited January 31, 2001).]

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

who cares stone cold! we're dreamcasting a different lot. JC + WW + CR == SAR??? CR + KT = SS???

Ooops... time to manage my own expectations again, or else I'll be here all day again. Must tell myself 'trade unlikely'.

But who would a' thunk a trade w/o the Dream windfall was likely? Doc Wocket's peeing in the snow kind of spelled out Van... but he left it so that it could spell out everything else as well.

------------------
    I keep plugging away, but I just can't get a 3 way to work on realwife.com

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I didn't say a trade was going to happen with Vancouver... just that they have talked with them.

I've heard nothing for 5-6 days so maybe someone can do a successful "Doc Rocket Dance" summoning him to the board -- I haven't had any luck for a while [​IMG]

Hakeem saying "it's supposed to be confidential" leads me to believe what was originally mentioned could still be happening... or maybe it's waiting for other things to unfold. I really don't know. But you knew it was too fishy for Les and Hakeem both to avoid saying he will be a Rocket this season all season for sure.

As for Pippen, though the Rockets didn't get much, it was so smart of them to unload him. Barkley was at the end, Dream was nearing the end and Pippen has seriously aged the past season. Doesn't he have two more seasons after this at that salary?

We'd be screwed right now with that salary on our books, that shell of a player on our roster and that whiny ass persona talking to the media.

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

4. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Now that would be a very popular deal. We could then play one of my favorite songs "Big Country" by Big Country as our new intro. "In a big country DREAM stays with you..."

CK

------------------
    There is nothing more thrilling than using the RealGM trade checker for the 1 millionth time and finally having it tell you trade accepted!!!

[This message has been edited by Castor27 (edited January 31, 2001).]

5. Live

Live Member

FINALLY, A COMPREHENDABLE COMMENT!!!

Anyone else get the feeling that this deal/move is going to be jaw-dropping and, at least for next year, will send tremors through the league.

How good will the Heat be NEXT YEAR if Dream is there?

How good will the Rockets be if Reef is here? And just think if they hit the jackpot in the draft (assuming both picks aren't involved in a deal, I'm not counting on free agency to bring much)?

------------------
    "ON-BEE-TAH-BULL!!", Hakeem Abdul Olajuwon, alumnus, University of Houston

6. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Anyone else notice how that Othella trade came outta nowhere???

I mean, not one peep about that deal then BAM!!!

Didn't see that one comin'...

------------------
    Hey now, Hey now, don't Dream it's over...

7. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Don't let the door hit you on the way out.

I am tired of his b****ing already. All that loyalty means what now, Dream.

Another over-the-hill, money hungry athlete who is pissed about not getting an extension on his contract.

And for people like Coach and Freak to continue to defend this sh*t is beyond me. We all stood by him and didn't want to get him out of here when we had the chance. Rudy felt like crap even considering it.

Now, Dream shoves it right back into the organizations face? This is WORSE than Pippen because Pippen doesn't have ties in Houston or needs to be loyal to anyone unless its Chicago.

Dream had all of us fooled. We thought he was a different breed.

NOT!

And this sh*t about Riley knowing the bigman game???? What the f*ck does that mean? Rudy doesn't?

Later for you, Dream. Sad to see you just like all the others.

And to think I kissed major butt for damn near 5 years to try and see him one last time at MSG.

Damn.

------------------
    Nadie En La Vida Es Eterno

8. verse

verse Contributing Member

hey almu,

aren't dream's eternal?

oh. nvrmnd.

------------------
    "i still fondly remember how the Chuckster threw a basketball at Shaq´s forehead, and then, after avoiding a blow by the behemot, proceeded to wrestle him to the ground like a sac of potatoes, while throwing a fair share of jabs at that big oaf´s ear."

- Thanos

ah the memories...

Barkley was the man.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

My point is that even if Shaq did have that history with LA (he did win them a ring), and then did the same thing to LA that Hakeem is doing to the Rockets, fans of the Rockets would still be saying 'let's get Shaq'. Just like to Vancouver Francis is a punk, but his behavior is rationalized here. Just like what Pippen did to Houston is rationalized in Portland. Does anyone remember the stuff Barkley said about the Phoenix organization? Much worse than what Hakeem said, and that city loved him more than Houston loves Hakeem. All I'm saying is I wouldn't rip someone to shreds for something they said/did to the Rockets and then welcome someone else with open arms who did something similar to their team. Whether what Pippen, Francis, or Barkley did are all 100% the same as what Hakeem did is not the point to me. All 3 of them were welcomed with open arms by Rocket fans, and I believe they would have been no matter what they'd done previously. They were supposed to make the Rockets a better team, and that is really all anyone cares about.

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

To borrow a quote from the late John Lennon:

<marquee><h1>THE DREAM IS OVER!!!</h1></marquee>

------------------
    When we tire of well-worn ways, we seek for new. This restless craving in the souls of men spurs them to climb, and to seek the mountain view.
    -- Ella Wheeler Wilcox

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I never thought I'd ever live to say this, but here goes....

Screw Hakeem Olajuwon. Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out of Houston.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

12. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

I guess I will respond to this. I can understand your point and if I were a fan of Vancouver I would probably be a Francis hater also. However, I am a Rockets fan and I love what Steve brings to the Rockets. I don't care how Vancouver feels. As for Hakeem, like I said I am a Rockets fan and his statements are not beneficial to the team. That does not diminish anything he has accomplished here in the past but as you said yourself making the Rockets better is all anyone cares about. If trading or releasing Dream makes the Rockets better then I am all for it as would anyone else on these boards. If you think that criticizing him for talking negatively about Houston is hypocritical, well welcome to the world of basketball fandom.

Its the same anywhere you go. Winners can become losers in a NY minute. Fans love a winner but a loser gets run out of town.

CK

------------------
    There is nothing more thrilling than using the RealGM trade checker for the 1 millionth time and finally having it tell you trade accepted!!!

13. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

If this gets ugly like the Quitten ordeal, how would this affect Hakeem's (don't feel like calling him the Dream anymore) eventual jersey retirement ceremony?

I know I won't be clapping my hands, but I don't want to boo him either... maybe I just won't watch it.

It will be interesting to see what the Chuckster have to say tonight regarding this ordeal. He usually tells it like it is, but he has always liked Hakeem and called him an "honorable man".

14. jamcracker

jamcracker Member

All I'm saying is I wouldn't rip someone to shreds for something they said/did to the Rockets and then welcome someone else with open arms who did something similar to his team.

I would. I do.

I'm a too much of a homer to be rational about Pippen/Francis/Dream situations.

I don't try to maintain a consistent evaluation of each NBA player's moral turpitude.

I rip players when I think they're hurting the Rockets and I am applaud them when I think they're helping the Rockets.

I'm too much of a homer to be consistent.

15. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

You can add this article to the list of things TheFreak doesn't want to see...

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0131/1052878.html

CK

------------------

16. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

I just thought Dream was more loyal than this. I feel betrayed. In the world of sports figures- I thought Hakeem was different. I guess I was wrong.

------------------
    "Stop your grinnin' and
    drop your linen"
    -Hudson

17. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What's worse is how badly Dream is deluding himself. He says that Riley knows the "big man game." Does he think that if he goes to Miami, all the sudden he will be able to play 35-40 minutes a game? If he achieves his "goal" of playing in Miami, he will have to come to some realizations.

You cannot turn back time, Hakeem. After you have been through several Riley practices, and feel like you are breathing your last breaths, you will pine for Houston, and realize your follies... but it will be too late. And when Riley realizes that you aren't the answer to their big men need this season (you are slow and tire quickly), you will be the focus of even less in Miami, because you have no draw there, and no one will listen to your b****ing like we do in Houston.

We loved you here in Houston, and we would have done almost anything for you.

This is our reward.

Thanks for nothing, and get the hell out.

------------------
    "Of course, everything looks bad if you remember it!"
    Homer Simpson

18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

castor -- I appreciate that honesty. Those are mostly my feelings too. You admit that feelings toward players are inconsistent. You too jamcracker.

I wanted to respond to one of Clutch's statements:

That's also how I feel. Basically a "whatever" type response. If Hakeem wants to do this, fine. I'll cheer him while he's here. I'll cheer whoever comes in his place. This character assaulting on Hakeem stuff is just not for me though. I'll save that for Phil Jackson (unless he comes to coach the Rockets [​IMG]).

[This message has been edited by TheFreak (edited January 31, 2001).]

19. sirhangover

sirhangover Member

i agree with freak..

we have always been a class organization and we should continue to support him as long as he is a rocket... he makes a good argument in my opinion of the francis and pippen although you all say it is not the same i feel it is...maybe privately from a GM standpoint we could bash him but we are not CD or RT...so lets chill..

we can still make the playoffs if we utilize him and go full force as fans and support him...lets give the benefit of the doubt and take the high road...no team pride in my opinion regardless of what he says..

if he is a genuine loser like he is showing signs of.. that will prove itself out anyway and he will show his true colors...right?

i am with pimp on one thing and if we are going to a make a move lets not do it to satisfy him..lets make one to help us...i still feel to this day that we could have held out for more in the pippen situation...anyway if nothing presents itself(valuable trade for the team) and he continues to b*tch then we sit his a$$ on the bench and dont give him the satisfaction of playing then we play the nigerian national anthem the last game of the season and cut the cord..cap space..

we would have taken the class approach and we wouldnt have made a quick emotional decision..and we would have punked him in some ways if he were to continues to whine...and if he shuts up we would have him here until the end with a possible playoff berth (last nite against miami aside) then we still could play the nigerian anthem..thank him give him the keys to the city..

thank you dream..thanks for the memories and as someone else here said sorry cant remember who..dont let the door hit ya on the way out..

the organization is in control and he is trying to exercise his control( he has none) and many of you are real quick to let him have his way..why give him that satisfaction then talk sh*t about him? if you are gonna talk sh*t about him back it up with hard nosed no f-ing around approach..we cant let the players take over like GP has done in seattle..hardaway did in orlando..remember we are a class org and we dont f around either..

i dont see us getting SAR by the way even though he is probably one of my favorite nba players...i also see eddie jones as highly unlikely...can someone propose a more realistic trade yet worth it for both sides? you have to give something to get something in return some of ya'll dont seem to be aware of that..

by the way i am in atlanta be happy we are not the hawks...

now everyone lets cheer our team and EVERYONE who is on it through thick and thin not ruin it..until he is gone he still wears a rockets uni..we are classier than some of you want us to be..we hold the keys lets not let someone take that from us...

------------------

i am a friend of sarah connors i was told she was here can i see her please

20. Valio!

Valio! Member

Hakeem's comments were hard for me to swallow too. But TheFreak does provide some perspective. They dont necessarily make those articles any easier to take, but...these kinds of things happen all the time...it just sucks because it is Hakeem - a man who at one time had such a sense of class.

------------------
    Moochie Norris Hair Club for Men - I'm not only the president, I'm also a client