1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem ranked lower than Shaq,Wilt, Russell and Kareem

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketsjudoka, May 30, 2014.

1. QuaDouble

QuaDouble Member

By what standard?

2. photojoe

photojoe Member

It is always a challenge to compare players across different generations. A lot of people will say something like, 'If (whatever player) played today, they would suck! They wouldn't be able to put up those numbers!'

In my opinion, that doesn't matter. You have to compare what they did against the competition that they did face. Who was the most dominant of his generation?

Look- I love Hakeem. He is by far my favorite player of all time. I have an a jersey that he autographed that is framed and hanging in my study.

But when it comes to the best center of all time (and who I would pick for this game), I cannot argue against the ridiculous career of Wilt Chamberlain. His stats are so good, it's almost laughable.

His rookie year, he won both the MVP and Rookie of the Year awards. One of two players to ever do that. In the first 56 games of his rookie season, he broke the record at the time for most points scored in a season. The previous record was set by that player in 72 games.

Only two players in the history of the NBA have scored over 3000 points in a single season. Michael Jordan one season scored 3,042 points. Chamberlain had 3 seasons over 3,000 points and one season where he scored over 4000 (20 points away from 1000 over the second most scored in a season).

One season, he averaged over 50 points per game.
    One season, he averaged over 27 rebounds per game. He has the most career rebounds, most rebounds in a single season, most seasons leading the league in rebounds, most seasons with over 1000 rebounds. In a playoff series against the Celtics (who had Bill Russell), he averaged 32 rebounds per game for that series, the most in any playoff series.

The dude is just ridiculous. For this silly game, as much as I love Hakeem, I would easily take Wilt for $3.

1 person likes this.
  3. adobo

adobo Member

I guess by his nick name "the mail man".

4. split41

split41 Member

People really disrespecting russell in this thread, in my opinion he is the GOAT. 11 out of 13 championships (not to mention that in the 1958 finals he was injured, so that lose has an asterisk there - if fully healthy I think he'd be 12 of 13). People look at stats, but anyone who plays basketball knows that there are more important things than stats.

He focused in on the deficiencies of the team, got them to work to their strengths and made them better players, thus the 11 rings.

I love Hakeem as much as the next guy, but he's no russell!

5. split41

split41 Member

I agree Wilt is a best, I took him when I did it in the dish, because he's a beast that will always dominate. Hakeem is sick, but Wilt would demolish any center on that list - he would always often have to play 1 v 5. He also led the league in assists one year, so with this game (with a stacked team) if wilt is on the team, they would dominate. Also, got a quad double before Hakeem (blocks weren't recorded though). I think if blocks were recorded that'd be a record held by Wilt or Russell.

I'm not trying to disrespect the dream, but he did not dominate the league these guys did.

6. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I can't argue with this.

7. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

You underestimate Clutchfans. For most of us it's a close call between Hakeem and first born child.

8. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Well Houston is ranked lower than L.A. LAKERS that is what this is really about when it comes to ranking all these centers above Olajuwon. All this east coast west coast bias in the media is always the ultimate factor not a pure assessment of an individual's game.

9. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It's insane how good of a defensive lineup that would be.

10. Ekiu

Ekiu Member

Hakeem & Shaq are too low great value, Malone, Barkley over Duncan, is really crazy.

Too many greats they should have guys like Yao, Pau, instead of Hakeem & Duncan etc.

The $1 value menu team would still be beast. But I f I were to play I would go:

Short Shorts
    Jordan
    Bird
    Duncan
    Olajuwon

great defense, great scorers, and great shooters to bust the zone. Gotta have the shooters.

11. bmd

bmd Member

Hakeem could have scored 100 points if he played back then, too.

Hakeem was way more skilled than Wilt.

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Magic
    Jordan

Hakeem

For your forwards, either Scottie + Duncan or Dirk plus durant

I'd probably pick the first but both are good

13. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

As much as I hate Karl Malone, the guy was a beast. Much more complete game than Dirk or Garnett. I would put Duncan ahead of him though.

14. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Also, the PF value system is way out of whack. Duncan should be # 1 and I might even make Dirk # 2. Barkley should be 4

15. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

explain

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    :p

17. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

That is my lineup as well

18. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Top 5. I'll take it.

19. solid

solid Contributing Member

Never liked Kareem, still don't. Strikes me as a real jackass. Great player, yes, but was he a great "all around" player. He had a better supporting cast than Hakeem ever had. I would take Dream every day of the week.

20. bmd

bmd Member

What makes you say that? Their PPG were very similar but Dirk was much more efficient because he could hit the 3.