1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem or Wilt

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by wadero, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Funny that you name 3 guys who started playing at the end of Wilt's career....you know, when he wasn't anywhere near as dominant. Nate Thurmond might have started on a team in the 90's, Gilmore would have been "average" in the 90's, and Kareem would have been very good in the 90's. Put Hakeem, Robinson, Shaq, Ewing, Mutombo, Malone, Kemp, Mourning in the 60's they'd all be centers and any of them would dominate the league like Wilt did.

Also, you mean to say "hail from"

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

When one player starts playing a few years before another player retires, you don't say they played in the same era...doesn't matter how many times they played each other.

3. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

"average" in the 90's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Brh2kIvgFcw

lol lol lol

my 6 year old nephew gives more accurate assessments of historic player talent than you

4. andersongo

andersongo Member

Wilt obviously played in a soft era with scrubs like Thurmond, KAJ and Lanier. HOF scrubs maybe, but still scrubs to the Jordan era fan. SMH. If you ever thought that prime Shaq was one of the most unstoppable force in NBA history, then you can't even begin to fathom what impact a prime Wilt had and would likely have in the era of the undersized center. As a fact, even prime Hakeem would not be able to block prime Wilt whatsoever. But I will sure bet on a guy who blocked prime KAJ when well past his prime to lockdown Hakeem and any other center of Hakeem's era.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I guess that's supposed to be impressive, but I've seen more impressive things from the guys at AND1 Mixtape who aren't good enough to be in the D league.

6. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

"doesn't matter how many times they played each other."

- can anyone tell me if there is an ignore function on Clutchfans.net? I suddenly have a need for it.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Man, he had game. Anyone think that that man would not be a force in today's NBA?

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, is that a "fact"? I'm pretty sure Hakeem blocked KAJ, so he could block Wilt. Come on, I get that we like to look back on older era's with rose colored glasses but this is ridiculous. There are lots of HOFers from the 50's and 60's that would never be good enough to make D league rosters today. That's of course why you can't really compare different era's.

9. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Your abilities at player assessment truly suck. Find another area of interest.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

tinman and I would agree that Hakeem is clearly the best center of all times. Hell he'll even give you a running start to half court before coming after you and blocking your layup/dunk.

11. CavaliersFTW

CavaliersFTW Member

of course he wouldn't dominate today because he played in a "weak era" against weak guys like Kareem and Wilt:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwvdsi6gLl8

according to our hoops historian bobbythegreat, the narrative we're supposed to follow is that they're all weak era players lol

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, fair enough, your opinion really doesn't mean anything to me whatsoever, but you are certainly entitled to it. I'm sure someone somewhere cares.

13. bootsdaddy

bootsdaddy Member

No Russell and Artis Gilmore?

14. YaosDirtyStache

Wilt is dead. Hakeem isnt.

Match point: Olajuwon.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

That is about the absolute most off the wall comment I have read recently.

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

The list goes

1. Hakeem = because he a dream
    2. Kareem = because he battled Bruce Lee
    3. Wilt = because people here say so
    4. Shack = because he can dance good
    5. Dwight = lol

17. andersongo

andersongo Member

Guys who make such stupid statements have got no business to LOL except at themselves. And Wilt is to the center position what current Lebron is to the SF position, completely unguardable one on one. An undersized Hakeem will stand no chance.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I'll let you live with the delusion that guys like George Yardley would be in the NBA today, but that's all it is.

19. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Wilt was the biggest, fastest, most explosive, strongest dude on the planet in his prime. He also slept with 20,000 women which works out to three women per night provided he did that every night for twenty years.

Yeah, this all seems reasonable.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Can anyone really tell me that
    Al Cervi
    Bob Houbregs
    K.C. Jones
    Harry Gallatin
    Dick McGuire
    Slater Martin
    Jim Pollard
    Joe Fulks
    Tom Gola
    Bob Davies
    Andy Phillip
    Ed Macauley
    or George Yardley even make the NBA today? Of course not. Now let's just end the delusion that the NBA of the 50's and 60's was anything close to the level of the modern NBA.