1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem or Tim?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by latebloomer19, Jun 1, 2012.

1. latebloomer19

latebloomer19 Member

2. cml750

cml750 Member

3. stipendlax

stipendlax Member

This will definitely be an impartial debate.

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Hakeem reached a higher pinnacle, but he was not as productive as long as Duncan.

Another knock against Duncan is that he never had to carry his team as much as Hakeem did.

Plus Duncan didn't/doesn't play center... wait, what are we arguing again?

Edit: I take that back, Duncan needs about another 2 years of decent production to outpace Hakeem. They both seemingly start to tank around year 13, then had an uptick in year 14... then fell off the face of the earth.

#4 DonnyMost, Jun 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2012
  5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Reading the link, I love the argument for Duncan of "he's the best ever player at his position, Hakeem isn't". :rolleyes: By this logic, the MVP of the NBDL is greater than, say, Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook.

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

A better analogy would be saying the best kicker in the NFL is better than Tom Brady.

1 person likes this.
  7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

That too. :)

The other flawed argument, of course, is the "four rings!!!" with zero context. The NBA in the 2003-through-2007 period did not have anywhere near the quantity of elite teams that it did in the 1990s. Don't see how that's even debatable.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Should this be a Karla vs Tim debate? Leave Hakeem out of it.

9. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

If Hakeem and Tim Duncan ever played each other in their primes...it would be greatest footwork in a big man Hakeem vs Mr. Fundamental Duncan...Scary fun match up...

Oh and just for the record, Hakeem was the best center in his generation, but he also had comparable talent that he played against night in and night out...meaning the center's he played against were world class... Tim Duncan was in an era where he didnt have anyone to challenge his status...(maybe Dirk and KG but that's about it)...

Now if Hakeem embarrassed the MVP Robinson in San Antonio, Hakeem would have done the same against Duncan...

Last point...its really bad comparing players of different generations who played different positions...hard to be objective...

10. FadeAway_Dreams

http://bkref.com/tiny/Wrfn6

stats from rookie year to age 35 for both players.

Tim has shown more consistency in his games played (less injury droughts) but has lower stats. If you take each players best years for each stat to look at their pinnacle achievements then Hakeem leaves Tim in the dust.

11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I know they played different positions during different eras, and of course I am a Rocket fan first and foremost, but I will forget about all of that and try to get into the spirit of the thread...

Having actually watched both play and forgetting about all stats and records...I'd go with Hakeem.

Hakeem was much quicker (quickest big man I've ever seen), had a much larger repertoire of post moves, and was much more dominant in his prime. I've never seen Duncan score while being (illegally) triple-teamed whereas Hakeem did it on a nightly basis during his prime.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I can't agree with this at all. The last decade, 2000-10, was the era of PFs. You can argue who "challenged his status" or whatnot, but the NBA was full of multiple PFs and several HOF PFs.

Nowitzki
    Garnett
    Rasheed
    Webber
    Gasol
    Amare

Lessors:
    Zach Randolph
    Boozer
    Elton Brand
    Bosh

Plus, many defensive minded bigs who would make him work, because teams without star PFs had to at least field defensive ones. What other position was more stacked last decade that PFs?

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Hakeem's best 2-3 years were better than anyone's, except maybe Magic's best 2-3 (i find it hard to gauge people like Wilt, Kareem etc because of the level of competition), even Michael's (but Michael's real greatness is that he held his top level in or about for a decade+)

Duncan held his consistent greatness for a decade or so, but he never really had those magical years.

15. rocketkid713

rocketkid713 Member

16. httx713

httx713 Member

Hakeem on his Prime , Duncan on his Prime and No Supporting Cast

Head to Head = Dream
    Hakeem vs Duncan first to 21 = Dream
    Back to basket and post up moves = Dream
    Best overall defender 1 on 1 = Dream
    Blocking shots = Dream
    Passing Ability = Both Great but advantage Dream
    Better Dribbler = Dream
    Athleticism/Speed and Quickness = Dream
    Blocking Ability = Dream
    Basketball IQ = Both Great
    Dunking = Dream
    Free Throw Shooting = Dream
    Mid-Range Shooting = Dream

Rebounding = Duncan
    Durability/Staying Healthier = Duncan
    Better in the Clutch time = Duncan
    Better Flopper = Duncan
    Bigger Whiner = Duncan
    More favorable Calls = Duncan

Both Great Players but the number of titles have nothing to do with head to head level. Duncan has played with a superstar level cast most of his career ( Robinson, Ginobili and Parker )..
    Hakeem Played with Old and Washed Up Superstars ( Pippen and Barkley -- Drexler Helped the most on 2nd title )

You can pretty much use the same comparison between Dream vs Robinson

Hakeem the better player in my opinion, but Duncan Best PF with one of the best coaches and excellent teammates/Stars and the Best GM in the business.

Hakeem > Duncan
    Spurs 4/5? > Rockets 2

17. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Stupid thread. Sorry. Did not read any of the posts. The dream for sure.

18. Red&BlackPudman

Dream. Hands down. Huge garden hose.

19. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Karl Malone was better than Tim Duncan. Tim is good, but he isn't carrying and hasn't carried a team like dream did or Karl Malone.

Here's the real debate: Rudy T or Popovich?

20. Jontro

Jontro Member

Hakeem's dream shake puts opposing players in awe.

Duncan's shake puts opposing players to sleep.