1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

Hakeem Olajuwon to Train Knicks

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Commodore, Sep 13, 2012.

1. Hall of Fame

Hall of Fame Member

Hakeem must be making some big bucks.:cool:

2. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Does Hakeem have something against the rockets or do the rockets have something against hakeem?

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dream can show them videos of the 94 finals to help them understand the post game

4. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Ones everyone is super, no one will be.

5. cheke64

cheke64 Member

He better get Moses Malone cuz that's the big body that taught him to bang down low.

We should get Scola when he retires.

6. nbalopez23

nbalopez23 Member

1. I thought he hated the cold weather
    2. What about guys like D-Mo
    3. Knicks just made Ewing look really bad
    4. C'MON Morey pay the man

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The irony is, we got Patrick Ewing as our assistant at one time. Blame JVG!

8. tinman

Supporting Member

Mike Woodson is a former temmate of Dream.
    Just like Scottie Brooks (Dream helping OKC too).

What old pals does he have on the Rockets?

9. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

One of our announcers is this dude named Claude Drexling or something.

I hear they were pretty close in college.

1 person likes this.
  10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm skeptical that whatever benefit Olajuwon can offer above and beyond what we already get from the coaching staff is actually worth the money he charges. We do have a HOF center already to help teach the big men.

11. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

Watch some of the vids of him teaching, he works on timing, footwork, move options and goes through a lot of reps to help build a players knowledge base and muscle memory.

And if you are referring to Carroll Dawson, he's a great "big man" coach, but having Hakeem would be invaluable.

A lot of what Hakeem learned was from both CD and Moses Malone, plus what he brings to the table.

It is something that the Rox should have been considering for years, having him on a service contract similar to retired baseball players, if that possible in the NBA.

12. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

To be honest, as a Rocket fan I really don't like it, but I understand it's business. And I am sure Hakeem sees it as a way to stay in touch with the game he loves and be able to pass on his wealth of knowledge to a younger generation.

Kinda adds to his legacy in that people are seeking him out to strengthen their game. And for that I feel a little pride and redemption for all of those who have always doubted his greatness and the legitimacy of the two championships he brought to our city.

13. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

he's going where his lessons are needed... and man are they needed.

14. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

also it's selfish to not want his skills to pass down to more people... i could careless if it's the knicks. The lessons are valuable, it's money in Hakeem's pocket and he's done enough for Houston so it's time for fans to stop griping in a selfish manner about how he should be only in htown.

15. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Dream helping to bring back the post games of yester-years one training at a time. :grin:

16. DJGRIND

DJGRIND Member

How awesome would it be if someone actually caught on to some of his moves and had half the heart he has and excelled in the post?

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

As much as I love and respect Dream, you have to remember who turned Dream into the MVP caliber player that he was...

[​IMG]

And we already have him working with our bigs.

So stop b****ing about him not working with our guys.

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I was referring to Kevin McHale, but CD had a good reputation for teaching big men too. I'm sure Dream has a lot of great stuff he can teach players. Having Dream could be helpful on providing another perspective and having multiple good teachers can provide some robustness and maybe it clicks for a player to hear it from one guy instead of another.

But other guys -- like McHale -- also have great stuff to teach. And while Dream was probably the better player, he could be better or worse as a coach (really, the most gifted players are oftentimes not the best teachers). And the repository of knowledge he possesses is probably only incrementally different from what someone like McHale can provide. And, since McHale is on the coaching staff, he can teach within the structure of the larger team philosophy and strategy and integrate it all.

I'm not saying getting trained by Olajuwon is a bad thing. For a team with money to burn, like the Knicks, why not do it? But, I also have a hard time believing it's a big benefit. I'd guess it was a bigger benefit in morale -- "hey, the team is so committed to me, they spent a bunch of money to have me train with the best center ever!" -- and fan relations -- "Wow, the Knicks are trying so hard to win the championship, they spent a bunch of money to bring in the best center ever to train the big men!" -- than it is in actual incremental skill.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Hakeem Knicks is a good WR yo

[​IMG]

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member