1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem Olajuwon Launches New Showcase Clothing Store in Former NASA Moon Institute

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TreeRollins, Dec 29, 2012.

1. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://swamplot.com/hakeem-olajuwon...ore-in-former-nasa-moon-institute/2012-12-21/

FORMER HOUSTON ROCKET Hakeem Olajuwon quietly opened the doors this past week of a brand-new flagship store for his new clothing line, DR34M. It’s conveniently located just off NASA Pkwy., inside a mansion built during the Depression by a Texas oilman — used later for more than 20 years by NASA for its Lunar and Planetary Institute.
    The 17,000-sq.-ft. Italianate mansion by the Clear Lake shore was completed in 1930 by Houston city hall architect Joseph Finger for Jim West, whose family sold it to Humble Oil when he died in 1941. Since then, it has been owned by the Pappas restaurant family and Rice University. And in 1969, during the Apollo missions, the nearby Johnson Space Center moved its moon unit here; it stayed until 1991.
    Olajuwon, who has made a lot of investments in Houston-area real estate since his 2002 retirement from the NBA, bought the West Mansion in 2006. He had plans to subdivide the sprawling 41-acre estate to sell off to developers, according to news reports. Later reports indicated the mansion would be razed, or that a retirement village would be built around it. But since early this year, workers have been making extensive renovations to the building, inside and out:
    Vacant rooms that once held research equipment have been turned into museum-like exhibits displaying pieces from the DR34M lines. (The name is a jumble of Olajuwon’s jersey number and nickname.) His DR34M Shake Athletic Wear has its own room:

[​IMG]

Elsewhere are rooms for a second signature line, Peachbasket Sportswear, a name that hearkens basketball’s humble origins in cold gymnasia:

[​IMG]

And for both men’s and women’s formal wear:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Shopping visits to Olajuwon’s new spread at 3300 E. NASA Pkwy. are now available by appointment only, Mondays through Saturdays.

2. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

that's cool

3. jocar

jocar Member

Unbeatable

4. Two Sandwiches

I hope its super cheap like his shoes always were!

5. Fawkward

Fawkward Member

You can only shop by appointment. :(

6. I'm Tom Brady

I'm Tom Brady Member

I bet he started this JUST so he could call something of his "DR34M"

7. Jontro

Jontro Member

Damn, I'm guessing appointment means you gotta drop some serious cash to shop :(

8. alex_eg6

alex_eg6 Member

9. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Member

Hakeem getting some hate in the comments because metro overpaid him for some land :eek:

10. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Member

11. BeeBeard

BeeBeard Member

Possibly an upscale big & tall for moneyed NBA players who are in town to play the Rockets.

Also, check out how great Hakeem looks:

[​IMG]

49 years young.

12. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Nope, I tried buying a long sleeve shirt when it first started selling online. It was like $80 :eek:

The clothes look really good though. Stuff I would wear.

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Dude went from selling 30 dollar sneakers to clothes so expensive they don't list prices on the website.

14. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Interesting business