1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem MVP question (Just for fans who lived in the 90s)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 29, 2017.

?

Hakeem vs Robinson in 95

1. Was pissed Robinson didn't mention his name

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Was pissed he didn't win the MVP (Dream didn't play half the season due to injury)

33 vote(s)
    71.7%
  3. Was always thinking about the media and their influence on the MVP voting

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

The early 90s was the golden era of NBA centers. However, the biased media always focused on Ewing and Shaq over Hakeem -- the wise and chosen one.

Then, Robinson won MVP and Hakeem decided to put an end to it all.

We are witnessing the same thing today in the golden era of shooters and guards. Curry and Westbrook get all the media attention and MVP trophies.

Meanwhile, another Rocket is constantly getting overshadowed.

However, like Hakeem his time has come. Some are starting call him the heir to Kobe, but in fact he is more like the love child of Magic and Jordan.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

there was lack of exposure for dream in the 90s
    i see a harden commercial all the time
    he's on the cover of video games
    he dates popular talentless hoes

3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

According to teammates, Dream was very upset.

Regardless, Olajuwon is arguably the GOAT playoff player.

4. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My guess is the entire team was using it as motivation, and Hakeem played along. He respected Robinson tremendously.

Invisible Fan and tinman like this.
  5. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

I read on a post that Dream was singularly adverse to losing. He was just expressing his feelings.

6. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

I heard she can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch

7. MONON

MONON Member

Thank you, tinman I watched the championship years on a Sears portable 19". The only thing portable about it was the fact it had a handle. That sucker was heavy!

However,I don't think Shania was born when I was listening to the Beach Boys, Jan & Dean & the Everly Brothers.

The thing I remember was it was reported that when Dream saw Robinson with the MVP trophy, he said "He's got my trophy!".

The other impression I have of the championship years at the end of game 7 of the 1st championship. The tv cameras panning the mob scene on the floor & in the stands. Then they caught a shot of Dream sitting on the scorers table looking out over everything with this WTF look on his face. That was classic!

8. tinman

Supporting Member

This is the debate here where his teammates said he said that while dream denied it.
    Twitter and modern nba camera work would have been useful to answer this question back in the day
    Someone would have tweeted this the second Dream says it

9. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

I was at game 3 of this series. Spurs won. I remember thinking, wait how are we not sweeping these fools? Robinson like others have said, had a great regular season - then Dream went GOAT.

10. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Robinson actually received it before Game 2. That was when Dream started going apesh-t in that series. He wasn't nearly as dominant in Game 1. That one the Rockets barely eeked out. I remember Elie hit a bunch of 3s(he was on a roll after hitting the Kiss of Death the previous game) and Horry almost reluctantly hit the game-winner(he seemed like he didn't want to shoot it and then acted like "why the hell not?").

As for the 1995 MVP award, I don't know why folks still rag on Robinson getting it over Dream to this day. It's a regular season award. The Spurs won 62 games. They had a 15-game winning streak late in the season with Rodman out for a good chunk of it. Robinson had been the runner up the previous year. Meanwhile, the Rockets won 47 games. That was 11 fewer than the year before. They went .500 down the stretch after the Drexler trade, and Dream missed some of that time with anemia(or Rudy was resting him for the playoffs).

If people wanna complain that someone other than Robinson should've won that year(Shaq or Malone for example), have at it. But Dream didn't deserve that MVP given the regular season his team had. The Finals MVP, now that was a no brainer.

11. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Not sure why so many folks are voting that he was upset he didn’t win MVP...you don’t win it playing half a season or so. SMH. It seemed obvious that he was upset he wasn’t mentioned by Robinson as the great centers he’s played against...I have a feeling if he at least mentioned Hakeem, as unpopular as it would’ve been in SA at the time, we wouldn’t have seen Hakeem as motivated that series and may not have won it. Thanks DRob!

12. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Tinman, do you have a family? A life? Anything that doesn't revolve around the 90's Rockets?

swyyyguy likes this.
  13. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

You did make me think of the NBA on NBC so thanks for that.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I have about 1000 brothers, we all joined here at the same time

Pen15clubber likes this.
  15. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

[​IMG]

Andre0087 and swyyyguy like this.
  16. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

they wouldn't be hoes if they were talented