1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hakeem MVP question (Just for fans who lived in the 90s)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Nov 29, 2017.

?

Hakeem vs Robinson in 95

1. Was pissed Robinson didn't mention his name

5 vote(s)
    10.9%
  2. Was pissed he didn't win the MVP (Dream didn't play half the season due to injury)

33 vote(s)
    71.7%
  3. Was always thinking about the media and their influence on the MVP voting

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wasn't the full Dream during the regular season. Also 72 games was low considering he played 80 and 82 the years before.
    I guess we took his stamina and health for granted.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/1995/apr/24/olajuwon-on-injured-list/

The Houston Rockets placed center Hakeem Olajuwon on the injured list because of a stiff neck.
    Olajuwon has been troubled by the ailment since returning to the Rockets earlier this month following an eightgame absence caused by anemia.

2. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I was mad he didn't win it. Dream was so humble and gracious. To hear he was upset about it seemed strange at the time for his character. I still haven't seen a player disrespect another HOFer in that fashion. What dream did was snatch the soul out of the Admiral on live TV. Story goes Dream walks around with that soul in one of those purple crown Royal bags to this day.

Mr. Clutch and tinman like this.
  3. Vin2k2

Vin2k2 Member

Hakeem was pure class, on and off the court. Yes, he was immature in his younger days, but he is a prime example of how someone can grow both as a player and a human being. This wallpaper from the Clutchfans archives perfectly describes him.

[​IMG]

tinman likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

Rockets fans were realistic, the 1995 regular season wasn't the best, we had a big trade, some inconsistent play as well.
    We didn't care about the media until they disrespected the championships by asking about Jordan .
    They went after the Rockets.

This Rockets team is on TV all the time. NBC never showed the Rockets, even after we won the title.

What are newbs so sensitive about what Max Kellerman says? That dude is a boxing analyst.

Fans are beyond sensitive now . The Rockets haven't won anything so we should be treated like we are the champions

This was the period where Dream got deep into religion . Dude didn't care about the media!

Rock Block and Mr. Clutch like this.
  5. DirtyDizzil

DirtyDizzil Member

Dream was on another level against the spurs, he was finally healthy and I'm guessing it had to be a little bit of everything on the poll.p

6. tinman

Supporting Member

David Robinson needed help but the Spurs refused to double team him

7. JaceMan da SpaceMan

@timnan was not even fan untile 1999 but I was fan befor sense 1991

8. tinman

Supporting Member

We should ban users if they have more than 3 misspelled words in the same post

9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I'd rather just cut to the jace - I mean cut to the chase - and ban everybody with multiple accounts... smh... just nonsense...

tinman likes this.
  10. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i had to go on a family outing to disneyland the day of game 4. i was really pissed. until i peeked into a restaurant there and saw us losing on tv anyways.

11. juanm34

juanm34 Member

After game 1 , we all knew who the real MVP was.
    Game 5 solidified it!!!

12. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

He was the MVP and proved it. Period.

13. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

You do realize, the rockets have a huge Asian fan based, not located in merica’, who’s first language surely wasn’t American....

14. Samiam1234

Samiam1234 Member

It still amazes me what hakeem did.. and people talk about some records like stocktons 3000+ steals. the one season record that i dont think will be touched is 300+blocks and 200+steals. There have been hardly a center get 100+ steals and Hakeem got 150+ on regular basis, he got 213 steals, thats averaging 2.7 spg for an entire 82 season, he had 4 seasons where he eclipsed the 2 spg mark.. He was like Chris Paul only playing center... thats what amazes me about him.. We know he is an all-time greatest shot blocker, but he wasn't far from being an all time greatest in steals as well.

15. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

He was pissed he had to fast. Which brought down his numbers.

fba34 likes this.
  16. tinman

Supporting Member

you are getting grammar vs misspelled words mixed up pal

17. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

I don't give a dang about who got the trophy. I know who the best player was, and he proved it. The rest is history. I never hear people talk about Robinson's MVP season. I hear how he was dominated in the WCF by the best player I ever saw, after he won the "award".

tinman and juanm34 like this.
  18. seeingredtx

seeingredtx Enlightened

No buddy I’m not, I know exactly what both mean. Your the one passing judgement chief. Improper grammar and misspelling is common for 2nd languages....

19. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Huh? Sarcasm?

It was just the opposite. Hakeem was a beast during Ramadan. He just looked even that much quicker, alert and focused.

20. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

I was 24 and 25 during the back-to-backs living up in Addison,Texas. What a time to be alive.

I grew up in Alief in the 70's, been there and have done that as far as being gutted by failed Houston sports. This however was the most joyous time in my life aside from my first and only child.

I don't know if it was true but I recall Vescey or someone saying something to the effect that the media was reluctant to do long interviews with Dream due to his accent and the inability for TV audiences to fully understand what he was saying so you never really got much out of him after the games or anywhere else.

As a fan you had to ACTUALLY pick up a paper and read his quotes the next day

It was a far different world back then and one that may soon forget what a great team and great player he was. We wont ever forget and that's all I care about. No one can ever take those championships away