1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

H1N1 Vaccine

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, Feb 10, 2010.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Has anybody else received this vaccine? I received it on December 10 along with the regular flu vaccine as well and ever since I received it I have been sick with cold/flu like symptoms every other week like clockwork. It is like my immune system is deficient or something and I have spent an ungodly amount of money on things to try to alleviate my symptoms.

Now I have received the regular flu shot every year for the past several years with no problems at all and I am not quick to blame vaccines on my ailments because I believe they do a lot more good than harm. I'm just trying to see if anybody else who has received it has had any problems they have noticed. Everybody I have talked to in person has either not taken it or refused to take it.

Anybody out there taken it and noticed anything different?

2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Flu Like symptoms, huh? For a while? Acute seroconversion syndrome?

I had to be vaccinated for H1N1 with a live attenuated virus. I will NOT get H1N1 this year as a result. The same goes for you, unless you're immunocompromised. There are a few viruses that also cause acute flu like symptoms.

Are you having sinus problems? Congestion? Coughing?

3. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I got swine flu the week before the vaccine became prevalent, so I never got it

4. Lil Pun

I have no idea what syndrome that is.

I am not immunocompromised.

Yes, sinuses and congestion are the two biggest problems actually.

5. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Received the h1n1 and regular flu vaccines. No side effects

6. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The first thing is another name for acute HIV infection. Unless you were having unprotected sex or sharing needles, I wouldn't be concerned.

You might have Strep pneumoniae. It's the number one causes of sinusitis.

7. Lil Pun

Oh, never was worried about that. We get tested and give blood regularly too.

Maybe that's it, I just don't know why I feel great one week then the next week it goes down hill. It always starts the same too, my throat feels scratchy then comes the fever, coughing, sinus and chest congestion (worst day), then the fever subsides after 1 day, the sinus congestion continues for 2-3 more days before subsiding and the chest congestion continues for a few more after that then all better but in about a week it starts again.

If I get sick again after this bout I am going to the doctor.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i got it. I got sick about a week later, but so did my friend I was around a lot (at the same time). So I didn't think it was the vaccine.

Anyway, after that, no real sickness.. some lingering sinus issues from the sickness, but nothing that feels any worse than seasonal allergies

9. updawg

updawg Member

just think how bad you would be if you didn't have the vaccine.

I haven't had any problems

10. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Got the H1N1 vaccine in December but not the regular flu shot. No symptoms.

11. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Got it while i was in Saudi in Dec. No problems so far, probably should have gotten it before the flight to Saudi. Not fun sitting next to sick peeps on such a long flight...

12. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Fix...

13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Justtxyank needs no vaccine.

-Justtxyank
    (in case you didn't know who wrote this post)

14. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

My family and myself received H1N1 shots. No side effects.

15. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Do you have any children?

I got the regular flu shot in December but not the H1N1, and I've been sick 4 times since then. But, I don't think it has anything to do with the vaccine. I think parents send their kids to school when they're sick, get my kids sick, who then get me sick.

16. Lil Pun

My 7 month old and she just started daycare this week. Before that my grandmother kept her.

17. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I got it last semester as one of the first go-rounds since I work in a hospital.

No problems, though I was sick a couple weeks back. Just figured it was a cold, really. No biggie.

18. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Might just be me but I am anti flu vaccines. I never get one, never get sick. Anyone in my family gets one gets sick. Coincidence? Hmmm maybe, maybe not. Usually from what I'm to understand though, coming from a friend who is a doc, he says sometimes people are allergic to what the vaccines are packed with. Don't do it!!!!! :p

19. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I used to be in this same boat but I always caught something every year, and it was always on Thanksgiving, Christmas or New Years, and always something bad. This year was my first Flu shot, and something weird happened.

Not one cold at all. Just a soar arm after the shot for a day or two.

No more anti-flu shot for LonghornFan.

20. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

That's cool I totally respect that. They probably do help some people, but the ones that are allergic to the preservatives and anything else in it, not so much. My big thing with the different flu shots that come out every year is it's a total crapshoot. The viruses mutate and the vaccines are kind of a guess. But if it helped you that obviously is a positive