1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

+H€ dW|ghT hOWaRd paTT€rN?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, May 10, 2013.

1. jacoby

jacoby Member

Isn't that because he wanted to explore Free Agency? (aka NOT remain in Atlanta)

Do you think he's willing to take a paycut to form a championship contender in Houston with Dwight and Harden?

2. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Dallas did poorly,but I think Howard may want to join Dirk. Howard brings defense,Dirk can score.
    Houston does have a chance of obtaining Howard. He must get his act together and be physically fit,otherwise there is no use going after him.
    Go Houston Rockets!

4. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I think you're misinterpreting what I'm saying, he wants a 4 year contract with someone other than Atlanta.

Would he be willing to take 48-50 over 4, with the 6% tax savings? and play with a genuine contender and his friend? Probably.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Post more, Doc. I think it's groovy that you're making some threads that aren't of the "Doc being Cryptic about Information He Knows that May or May Not come to pass." You've alway given the caveat that what you've heard might not come to fruition, at least that's what I remember you doing. People tend to ignore that part of your threads (and posts), and focus on the cryptic parts. So keep doin' what you're doin'! I certainly enjoy reading your stuff. More to the point here, I think you make a good case for Howard possibly making a move to Houston.

6. scottie brooks

Doc Rocket = Keith Jones

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Doc, will we be dancing in the streets?

8. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Glad to hear from you Doc. Really hated how some members here were bashing your cryptic messages, but great to see more posts!

9. thekad

thekad Member

You know what, I was wrong. You really should go back to posting "cryptic" messages that offer no insight and don't actually provide any inside information if this is the best you can do otherwise. Empty nonsense that gets the hoi polloi running in circles is preferred to dry analysis (lol) that reads like a Bleacher Report article that wasn't spellchecked.

Bring the old one of you back.

1 person likes this.
  10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Jesus dude just stfu already.

11. TheBornLoser

TheBornLoser Contributing Member

Can Clutchfans ISO this "thekad" guy?

1 person likes this.
  12. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

@Doc

Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts.
    I like the Mentalist approach (I like the show, esp. cause he's an Aussie too)

I agree with pretty much all your arguments.
    However, the weakest link in your arguments are when you talk about Atlanta.
    I don't necessarily disagree with you but would like some clarification.

Apparently, Dwight has made it clear that he does not want to play at home. It would make him unhappy.

This statement seems pretty weak. What are you basing this on. I have read on a Lakers forum that he just reconnected with his father and family in his hometown and would like to spend more time there. Again, this is conjecture... do you or anyone else have evidence either way?

I believe ATL is out of play but the desire to play with his best friend would be enticing, as it would be to everyone. Imagine working somewhere with a best friend? It makes things more tolerable.

Who knows where J.Smith will end up. It could be at Atlanta with Howard or somewhere else. In fact, Smith has turned down Atlanta and it was rumoured Atlanta was trying to trade him to Houston for Aisk and Parsons at the trade deadline, a deal Houston rejected. I think where J.Smith goes factors 0.1 of 1% in Howard's decision this Summer.

With that said, I still feel ATL is out simply because it is a 'If.....THEN...." response and those are not responses that excite anyone involved.

If you discounting of Atlanta as an "If... THEN..." situation is very weak because essentially all off-season FA and Trade movements are based on "If... THEN..." situations... IF Houston can free up the cap space, THEN we can sign Howard to the max. IF ANYTHING, on a trade basis, Atlanta has the most flexibility to satisfy Howard. People forget that Atlanta has the most cap space out of any team this Summer and the ONLY team that has enough space to sign TWO max superstars outright (Dwight & CP3???).

I'm not saying he will go to Atlanta but just saying the arguments you used were pretty weak.

Actually, I agree with you that Houston is the front runner for Dwight for moat of the reasons you stated. I won't list all my arguments but just say I feel at the moment the odds are:

Houston 45%
    LA 40%
    Atlanta 15%

I appreciate Doc sharing his thinking on this and most of it makes a lot of sense. Moreover, I agree with it. But I highly doubt this is INSIDER INFORMATION. If you spend pretty much everyday as I do going through various teams fan forums, social networks, do a little bit of research... ALL OF THIS INFORMATION IS OUT THERE, it just nice of someone like Doc to put it all together and add his opinion to it.

And just to address another meme in this thread...

Trade Asik and Lin for J.Smith

I'm not sure exactly how this would work. J.Smith is a free agent and I believe under CBA rules he does not get the extra year in a S&T so there is absolutely no incentive for him to do this right?

Anyways, I'm sure in the eyes of Morey and Les...

Lin/Asik > J.Smith

This will have to happen another way.

I really hope Howard comes. I think he'll make us a contender if he's injury free and plays like 2009. I think he can be a 15/15/4 with Asik next to him or a 20/20/4 on his own.

BE WELL
    LIVE LONG AND PROSPER

1 person likes this.
  13. haydenfisher342

Ok, so most ate onboard with smith and Howard,but what I'm not seeing its Chandler Parsons. If we have 3big contracts then that leaves trading, or mass luxary taxes. Please less

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

From one (former) insider to another, Beltran was THIS close to signing with the Astros before family intervened.

15. Big Daddy Kane

I'm not sure why so many are calculating whether we'll have the cap space to sign both Dwight Howard and Josh Smith. If Dwight does come to Houston, it will be by a sign and trade with the Lakers for Asik, probably Lin, and filler. I'm no mathematician but this should leave plenty of space to sign Josh Smith, who I do believe will end up wherever Dwight goes.

The Lakers are the favorite especially if they are able to work out some kind of Pau based deal for Josh Smith. If they can't and believe there is no way to re-sign Dwight, they will work out a sign and trade with one of the team's he's willing to go to (Houston, Dallas, Atlanta, Brooklyn). Dwight will get his money and the Lakers will get a center back to replace him, you can count on that. So the question is, assuming Dwight is willing to go to any of the four teams listed above, what center based deal would the Lakers want?

Houston - Asik (a package with Lin + TRob/DMo/TJones would fit well with D'Antoni)
    Dallas - Kaman (don't think so)
    Atlanta - Horford (probably the Laker's choice if Dwight is willing, Josh already there)
    Brooklyn - Lopez (another possibility but probably not since they couldn't also sign Josh)

So, my feeling is that it's between the Lakers, Rockets, and Hawks. One of these teams will end up with both Dwight and Josh.

So, bottom line is Dwight will get his 5 year max deal

16. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

lakers can't sign and trade howard. the new CBA put an end to that, so he'll be getting more money if he stays with the lakers than if he signs somewhere else contractually speaking

17. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Im no expert but im pretty sure the new CBA changed SnTs, so he gets the same amount of money whether its SnT or outright signing with the Rockets.

18. jacoby

jacoby Member

They can sign and trade Howard, but they can't sign and trade for a free agent themselves.

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This is actually pretty good. Nice.

20. basketballholic

oh lordie, how many times do we have to read that nonsense?

When you don't really know what you're talking about, look it up!!!

Lakers can sign and trade Dwight. They simply can't receive a player in a trade that is signed and traded TO them.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm#Q89

[​IMG]