1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

+H€ dW|ghT hOWaRd paTT€rN?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, May 10, 2013.

1. pbthunder

pbthunder Member

Excellently played, Angkor Wat.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

From what I recall he had connections when Rudy T was coaching, but Doc's been on a dry streak for quite awhile.

3. lookabove

lookabove Member

Fixed

4. Big Daddy Kane

Fullcourt, our chances of gaining Dwight's commitment are greatly increased if we can also show the clear cut ability to sign Josh, especially since the Lakers and Atlanta will be trying to do the same thing. If Dwight and Josh want to play together and both are open to playing in LA, Atlanta, or Houston equally, it's going to come down to which team can offer the best situation and is first to gain the support of each player. The team's will be battling each other so won't want to deal with each other until Dwight and Josh decide where they want to play. Once this happens, it will force the hand of the teams that will ultimately lose out.

So, right now it's really a race of which team can put together the most desirable situation to win the influence and support of both Dwight and to a lesser extent Josh. Whichever team is first to do so will have the upper hand in the negotiations. Dwight is not going to sign with us simply because we have the cap space. But our chances, just like the other two team's, increase dramatically if we can show the guaranteed means to also sign Josh and create the very best team/environment possible without the need for further trades.

5. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Pretty much, although (1) the extra $100,000 doesn't count when the difference is $5M (as opposed to 150% or 125%), it's a flat $5M difference; and (2) the Room Exception is for a maximum of two years, so while it would allow the Rockets to give out larer starting salaries to Aldemir and the 34th pick, it wouldn't provide the longer-term deal.

6. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Woah there! If you give Asik and Lin to Lakers for Dwight in a SNT, I think the Lakers are getting too much of a good deal. Look at the line-ups:

Lakers
    Lin
    Kobe (expected back Dec-Jan)
    Metta
    Gasol
    Asik

Rockets
    Beverley
    Harden
    Parsons
    Smith
    Howard

Rockets are the better team but Lakers could make the playoffs.
    Worse still. Lin will get Carte Blanche to play 45min. and go linsane under D'Antoni whilst Kobe recovers. At least clutch fans can unite in hating Lin then.

I think screwing over the Lakers by signing Dwight outright and then trying to force a SNT with Atlanta is the better way to go.

7. Aleron

Aleron Member

The only way we would possibly do an asin + Lin s&t to the Lakers would be if we needed clear room for Paul, and Paul is probably a 5% chance to leave the Clippers (and that's 5% to go to any other team)

8. basketballholic

If we trade Asik/Lin to make room for Paul we will most likely send them East.

9. crash5179

crash5179 Member

And if you think the Rockets are trading Asik and TRob for Al Horford I think your smoking crack

10. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

As it relates to the CAKE each team has to offer.

I wonder if anyone on the Lakers team is calling, tweeting, texting, sexting, poking, contacting, etc. Dwight?

We know Harden is. I wonder if Lin, Parsons, etc. are as well. Asik probably not.

He just wants to be loved I guess so I'm wondering which team is sending the most of it. You can bet D'Antoni isn't sending any CAKE. Wonder if McHale is sending CAKE.

Just a thought. If I were Harden I would send a piece of Red Velvet CAKE.

11. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

And while I'm at it I want to thank you Doc Rocket for a fun post. You are always inspired and loosen the screws abit. Let's look forward to a fun summer. The sky's the limit for this team.

12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Hmm, you're right. Thanks for the link.

Very interesting.

13. TheFreak

TheFreak Member

Outside of "calling" the Yao pick, which was almost a no-brainer (I think the only thing semi in doubt was whether or not China would let him sign w/Houston), I'm not aware of any scoops this poster has provided. Perhaps someone can enlighten us.

14. lookabove

lookabove Member

If Rockets sign Howard as FA, I would trade Asik for Horford to play the 4.
    He's 26 and one few front court players to average double-double (17ppg 10rpg).

Why do you think this is so crazy?

#234 lookabove, May 12, 2013
    Last edited: May 12, 2013
  15. crash5179

crash5179 Member

Horford is not on Daryl Moreys radar.

16. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

why wouldn't he be? horford is sick. he did 20/11 post all-star break and is one of the best mid range shooting big men in the league. he's also a solid passer. good defender too. he's also on a great contract. i'd think we wouldn't be able to trade for him...instead of morey not liking him?

17. Firebomb525

Firebomb525 Member

Horford is, as far as we know, Atlantas cornerstone. They are keeping him because he will either A. Be their only star player for th foreseeable future who they will attempt to build around or B. Be the 3rd member of a trio featuring CP3 and Howard. We could sign and trade for Smith, because he has shown he wants to leave, and give Asik and T Rob but ATL is not giving up Al.

18. kuku

kuku Member

Al @ $12M is overpaid. You can get the same production for less. That was why crash5179 said he is not on Morey's radar, and I agree.

Morey is always looking for players who play above their contracts. Disregard rookie contracts, here are PF's who are on the same tier as Horford but for less.

Ryan Anderson $8.7M
    Amir Johnson $6M
    Paul Millsap $8.6M (last year's value)

Now compare Al Horford to the following superstars:
    LaMarcus Aldridge $14.6M
    Kevin Love $14.7

Wouldn't you say he is overpaid at $12M??

19. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

I beg to differ.

1) I cannot see how Howard and J.Smith play together in LA. Lakers cannot receive a SNT player because they are in luxury tax (especially after resigning Howard.

2) I doubt that Howard's move to Houston or Atlanta is predicated on him playing with J.Smith. I think its common knowledge that J.Smith wants out of Atlanta.

3) We will not trade Lin and Asik for Howard to free space for J.Smith as I've outlined in a previous post. If anything it will be the other way around, we will sign Howard and then think about sending Asik/PF for J.Smith in a S&T.

4) Chris Paul might be the second target after Howard.

20. 11Rox4Life3

11Rox4Life3 Member

i disagree that those guys are on the same tier though..

horford averaged 20/11 on 55% post AS break. he's always been a guy that shoots over 43% from mid-range. and he's a pretty good defender. he's a better rebounder and defender than anderson, and while he doesn't space the floor to the same extent, they're at least similar volume scorers. im under the belief amir is very underrated in terms of impact, but horford just gives you more volume. he's also a better rebounder and scorer than millsap. not to mention, he's able to play more minutes..

and don't forget horford's contract doesnt go up. it's a flat 12m every year

and nice job just picking 2 few superstar examples (who still get paid 2m more at increasing contracts). there are also:

amare at 19.9m
    pau at 19m
    bosh at 17.5m
    al jeff at 15m (last year)
    boozer at 15m
    okafor/nene at 13m
    humphries at 12m
    d.lee at 12+m
    josh smith at 13-14m
    zbo at 16.5m
    d.jordan at 10m
    bargs at 10m
    mcgee at 10m

so no way i'd say al horford is overpaid at 12m. i'm honestly shocked to even read that..