1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

+H€ dW|ghT hOWaRd paTT€rN?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Doc Rocket, May 10, 2013.

1. hooroo

hooroo Member

Dwight has baby mama issues. Isn't the law in Texas more favorable to him than LA's in this matter?

2. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Hi Aleron,

Thanks for your response. You make some good points and my responses are not really disputing them. Basically, when it comes down to it, after we sign Dwight what can we trade to Atlanta in a S&T for Smith (given that he wants to come to Houston).

- Smith rejected $15m offer from Atlanta earlier but it gives you an indication of the cap space we need to create.

- Rockets also rejected a Smith for Asik/Parsons trade proposal at the deadline last season.

- After the Howard signing we declined all non-guaranteed contracts (except Parsons, G.Smith, and Beverley) and was able to trade T-Rob for a pick.

Given the 3 parameters above.

Our only trade options...

1) Asik/Lin 16m for J.Smith 15m
    Not going to happen if the Asik/Parsons rejection by Houston FO was an example. Basically Asik/Lin > Smith as far as Rockets are conserned.

2) Asik/R.White 9.7m for Smith 15m
    Not sure if the salaries work. Probably not possible. Remember we cannot S&T if it puts us over the cap. Even if it were. Would Atlanta want Royce White?

The other pieces like T-Jones and D-Mo are paid less than White so doubtful their salaries would work.

So to sum up,
    unless J.Smith takes a huge pay cut $11m (down from a possible max $15m, currently paid 13m), it is almost impossible to S&T for him. IMHO.

3. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

You can sign and trade if it puts you over the cap, you can't sign and trade if it puts more than $4m over the luxury threshold (which is about $12m give or take above the cap, so about $16m or so over the cap), we would be about $10m short of that even after such an acquisition.

And the number i see for Smith in a s&t for just Asik, would be max of a bit over $54m over 4 years (8.374m x 150% + 100k + 4.5% annual raises), state taxes in consideration, it'd cost him about 700k a year, plus gives him an extra year (no guarantee he'd get that much for another new contract either) it's not that big a pay cut.

4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Via Adrian Wojnarowski/Yahoo! Sports

5. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Thanks Bima. One other question... first I just got that under the 60 mil cap scenario we could have an extra 540,000. I neglected to realize added with the 490,000 would allow us to keep a player like Ohlbrecht on the books. Which brings me to my next question. I understand that in a sign and trade the rule is 150% or 5 mil or 125%. That's how much extra you can take in a trade. Josh Smith falls in the 5million group because he currently has 13.2 mil salary. So if you trade Asik 8.37 mil + Royce 1.72 + Ohlbrect .788 mil it totals out at to 10.9 mil (roughly). Add the 5 mil + 100,000 over and it's almost exactly 16 mil we can take back in salary. AM I adding this up right Asik and some scrubs get us to 16 mil which I'm thinking is enough to get Josh Smith on board. Is that correct.

If so I've been missing the boat on this and we can sign Josh Smith without losing a lot of pieces. And then use that Room exception you mentioned and sign Aldemir and our 2nd round pick to long term deals like Morey prefers to do and maybe sign Matt Barnes to the vet min what he got last year at LA. If not him another vet or 2.

Let's see our roster now

Howard, Aldemir, Greg Smith
    Josh Smith, T Jones, DMo
    Parsons, Rookie
    Harden, Matt Barnes
    Lin Beverly

That's a pretty good squad. I would like to sign Garcia to that room exception but I also like those long term deals for rookies. Anyway that's more than a question. Thanks
    So our team

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

the cake is a lie, but if Dho joins, it would be the moutha****ing icing

/samuelL

7. Fair Dinkum

Fair Dinkum Member

Wow. Thanx Aleron. I learned something new.

So to extrapolate from that...

Given we signed Dwight as per the discussed scenario.
    Our trade scenarios for J.Smith are...

Asik/R.White ($9.7m) - No chance Atlanta accepts R.White.

Asik/T-Jones ($9.5m)
    Asik/D-Mo ($9.4m)

So if this trade is gonna work...

Atlanta would want Asik+(T-Jones or D-Mo) with a $9.5m cap hit.
    and Houston gets J.Smith for 4/54 ($13.5m) and be over the cap.

It can be done, but do we pull trigger on Smith? try for Love next year? or stick with Asik and T-jones/D-Mo?

I think Morey will stick with Asik, D-MO, T-Jones for another year and see how they develop.

8. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

You guys are missing the point.

First morey can trade for smith with Howard ... It's been covered here already not that complicated ... They can take 5 mil over outgoing salary In Snt

Second morey planned for this ... Every contract had to fall into a certain criteria for him to take it on.

Finally it's not about finding the best player to pair with smith it's about wooing Howard to come here saying we will sign your best friend + no st tax , young team, Chinese marketing , and if course the bearded one

9. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

1) There is no incentive for Smith, no extra money or extra years. The incentive is simple - - if Howard and Smith, of their choosing, elect to sign together/start a super-team together. That is big time incentive as proven by The Heatles.

2) Atlanta has the most cap space of any team, why would they want to help us get Smith. Do they really need or want Asik ... It's not that easy, they have to want them a lot for this trade to happen. Horford is a 4, playing at the 5. IMO Ferry would take Asik for Smith. Good deal for Atlanta, I believe. A player who makes another better, improves the roster, saves $$$ from Smith.

3) Atlanta may want to resign Smith (although Smith may not want to resign). Pair him with another star like CP3 or whoever they get. WDJW? What does Josh want? Or Ferry, for that matter. If CP3 decided to throw in with The Hawks then all other bets are off. (My bet is that CP3 stays in LaLaLand and Griffin gets swapped for Love FWIW.)

4) Assuming Dwight goes to Houston, a Lakers S&T with Gasol / Smith is much more attractive for Atlanta. Gasol is an expiring contract and fills the PF position Smith would vacate. I think this has less possibility than the Rox signing Hoiberg to max out the White asset. I think.

10. conquistador#11

If howard does not sign with the lakers, he will more than likely sign with a new team.

11. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Source?!!??!

1 person likes this.
  12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

So you're saying the Rockets want to dump McHale and sign Hoiberg.

13. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

We dont have to give the Lakers anything, easily have space to sign him directly if he desires to come here. I certainly doubt the Rockets would send both Lin and Asik for him if they did decide to give the Lakers anything, which they dont need to do since he is a FA this summer.

Again, why should anyone help the Lakers?

Ah, this explains it...you dont realize the new CBA keeps that from happening.

The Only Way Dwight Howard Gets The 5 Year Contract Is If He Stays In LA.

and also the new CBA prevents a team that will be over the apron(4M over the tax line) from receiving a SnTed player...I havent checked the numbers, but I was under the impression the Nets are over the apron.

14. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

25 year old power forward who can shoot 3s...fits our system pretty well...

15. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

16. Jontro

Jontro Member

You obviously don't know what you're talking about. Howard will retire.

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Wouldn't you to maximize the Royce asset? Oh, maybe not... :grin:

18. pcheung08

pcheung08 Member

May be D12 insists JSmith to join us? If so, it could be a bit difficult to do a S&T with Atlanta than to LA if the cap limit does not increase to beyond $60M.

Atlanta wants Asik but may not want Lin since they have Jeff Teague while LA may want both rather than letting D12 walk. LA may also include Steve Blake for TJones/DMo to help their tax a little bit (I did not check if the figures match, may be off 1M or so).

19. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Correct, and using your original spreadsheet, if we don't waive Anderson then we have enough to send out the $11.5 million in salaries to take back Josh on a max deal sign and trade at $16.5 million:

James Harden - $14.13 million (adjusted to $60 mil)
    Jeremy Lin - $8.37 million
    Omer Asik - $8.37 million-
    Royce White - $1.72 million
    Terrence Jones - $1.55 million
    Donatas Motiejunas - $1.42 million
    Chandler Parsons - $926,250
    Greg Smith - $884,293, non-guaranteed ,
    Beverley - $788,872, non-guaranteed
    Anderson - $916,099, non-guaranteed
    Req’d minimum player - $490,000
    [Honeycutt] = $100,000

Total = $39.67 Mil subtracted from 60 mil = 20.33 mil
    Dwight Max Salary = $20.32 mil
    Remaining salary cap = $10,000

Then trade Asik ($8.37 M) + White ($1.72 M) + Smith ($.884 M) + Anderson ($.916 M), a total of $11.89, for Josh at a max salary of $16.5 million.

Then sign Garcia for the room exception, and here is your lineup:

Howard, Aldemir
    Josh Smith, T Jones, DMo
    Parsons, Garcia
    Harden, 2nd Round pick
    Lin, Beverly

Finally, if the cap goes up to about $60.3 million, then don't cut Ohlbrecht, and use him in the sign and trade package instead of Greg Smith. Also, maybe Brooks will resign for the minimum after he is cut?

p.s. I'm hoping that the salaries of Anderson and Ohlbrecht don't become fully guaranteed until after July, so that we can keep them on the books if needed for a sign and trade in July.

20. dje243

dje243 Member

I love Asik but if we could make this happen I wouldn't be upset:

Lin
    Harden
    Parsons
    Jsmoove
    Dwight

That lineup will be a forced to be reckoned with. Dwight would play hard on a young, contending team with his best friend. I imagine Smoove would focus in too. I still think Harden leads the team b/c he's the youngest and the most prolific scoring wise. That's great interior defense, great pick and roll offense and you still have your shooters (Lin's 3 pt shot will improve).