1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Gym Etiquette/Peeves

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by nolimitnp, Jan 28, 2010.

1. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

There has to be a similar thread for gym etiquette and pet peeves. If anyone can provide one please think me. I'm waiting for my sleeping pills to kick in, so I'll add a few of mine.

1. Cell phones. There are no need for cell phones in the gym weightlifting area, basketball court, or even the locker rooms. No one is that f@ckin important. Leave it your locker. This goes x 3 in the sauna because your conversation echos.
    2. The gym is NOT, I repeat NOT a singles bar. Sure there is plenty of hot ass everywhere you look. If you want to start up a conversation, great, but keep it short and sweet. Else, get the hell out of the way of the piece of equipment I'm in line to use. This goes for your buddies too. Shoot the **** off to the side.
    3. Its a gym, you are going to sweat (if you doing it right). Please use proper hygiene, including double deodorant if you have to. I know you can smell yourself. There is nothing worse than trying to run and being unable to catch your breath because the guy beside you smells so bad. Also, always carry a towel.
    4. Especially if high volume times of the day, don't hog all the weights. I know drop sets and/or super sets play a pivotal role in training or bodybuilding, but you have to respect the other members. Besides, I don't want to trip on it.
    5. For the love of God, re-rack your weights. And in ORDER. I hate going to a rack where the first place is a 25, the next is a 10, the next is a 2.5, followed by two 45 pound plates. Lazy asses.
    6. During times of high volume and there are signs clearly posted to limit your cardio time to X minutes, follow the damn rules. If you want more time, go lift more weights for 5-10 minutes and find another machine.
    7. Before you add weight to the machines, learn how to use them properly. It cracks me up watching people with far too much weight on a particular machine not even using the muscles the machine was designed to train. You're asking for an injury and you look like a moron. A perfect example is the assisted pull-up bar.
    8. Learn to run properly. Sounds simple, but so many people can't even use the treadmill in the manner its meant to be used. The only sounds you should be hearing are the hum of the engine and your breathing. You should not be able to hear your feet pounding on the treadmill.
    9. Learn how to use other cardio equipment properly. If you're holding on to the sides of the treadmill, elliptical, stair climber, or any cardio machine for anything more than a little balance, your level is too high and you're not getting near as much benefit from its use.
    10. Cover your junk when walking through the locker room. I understand you have to remove your towel to remove/put on underwear, but other than that, pleaes keep it covered.

There I feel better. Add more as you see fit.

1 person likes this.
  2. hjg877

hjg877 Member

LOL great thread. I'm right there with you on most of those.

I'll add: 3a. Wipe down machines when you're done.

I also can't stand it when people come up (especially on the bench press) and insist on working in with me. It's one thing to ask, but typically one waits for the person to finish -- it's a common courtesy reservation system, if you will. It happens too often; I need to start ignoring people.

While I agree the gym isn't a dating scene sometimes I wish it were easy to talk to the women there. Those are the women you want -- ones that make efforts to take care of their bodies. But it just so happens that the gym is the most intimidating place to talk to anyone, because it's not designed that way. Seriously, I've seen guys try to strike up conversations with women such as, "hey that's a pretty heavy weight!"

I, too, need sleep.

1 person likes this.
  3. Gakatron

Gakatron Contributing Member

These people you are talking about, do they pay the same as you to use the gym?

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

This depends on the type of treadmill. I've noticed with the way they're designed that some absorb more noise than others. I mean, I ran track in college and still run frequently so I know a thing or two about proper technique and form. Even I can't avoid the pounding noise on certain machines.

If you want a real problem with treadmills, it's the people that can get on them and insist on walking for 1.5 hours. Walking? On a treadmill? Seriously? I can understand that in non-climate friendly states this could be an issue in the winter for gyms that don't have an indoor track, but c'mon now.....hogging the treadmill (with fans, no less) so you can walk for two hours? Go join one of those "mall walker" groups if your gym doesn't already have a track.

5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

I'm assuming that this is different from wiping off the bench or any other surface you are using that is covered in sweat. Nothing is worse than getting ready to do a set of bench and seeing a puddle of sweat on where you are going to have to lie.

6. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I don't know why he claims to know so much about proper treadmill technique. Who cares if you wear basketball shoes and run on the treadmill. It's going to make some noise, especially by the time you hit 6 or 7 on a treadmill that goes all the way to 10.

I agree about the covering your junk, but I don't make a thread about it.

7. DreamRoxCoogFan

3-5, 10 and 3a are what I'm concerned with. Very annoyed if you don't wipe down machines. All others I don't care about, maybe its because the gym I go to is huge so its not an issue.

And why are you judging people while they're workin out? Most people have never had any sort of formal introduction to working out, so what gym rats take for granted is not common knowledge. Don't laugh at people who are using too much weight or running awkwardly on machines, they're either new or do this things infrequently.

8. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

You're right on the cell phone one. It just irks me when I see someone "working out" while on the phone or texting; then to add to it, they are overweight.:mad: :mad:

9. Steve_Francis_rules

If you're trying to excuse some of the behaviors that he's complaining about then I think this is irrelevant. Yes, they pay the same amount as he does. But that means that he pays the same amount as they do, so they shouldn't be hogging machines, breaking rules, and disrupting other peoples' workouts.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Thing is . . . you take all those folx he complaining about
    boot them out of the gym
    guess what
    NO MORE GYM

When I am at my gym . . i do my thing
    I'm not Gym Rat and I am quite sure I do alot wrong
    I am sure folx like him are looking in disgust or humor
    but . . ***** em
    I paid my money . . . I'm doing my thing

Pet Peeve - Folx who complain about fat folx at the gym
    DUH! have to start somewhere!

Folx who SCReam doing their sets.
    YYYEEEEEAAAHHHHH !! Dude if it weighs that much put the ***** down

Folx with sarcastic commentary on other folx's workouts
    Be Helpful . .or be silent

Folx that seem to spend have their time working out . . the other half looking sourfaced at everyone else . .. .
    Dude . . .If you have time to notice everyone else. . . maybe your workout isn't as efficient as you think

Rocket River

11. RocketMadness

RocketMadness Member

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzKSfcBIHRs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zzKSfcBIHRs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

12. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

I only have 3 pet peeves.

The personal trainer who is over weight or not in shape. And please don't tell me he's bulking, because he's definitely not. How are you going to charge someone to help them get in shape, when you can't help yourself?

The talker. The guy that goes to the gym and just talks to random people. He can go forever talking to people and not do a single exercise.

The weight slammer/grunter. Light weights or heavy weights. It doesn't matter. Stop grunting and moaning like you're taking a dump. These are the same people that throw weight on the ground when they are done. It's pretty annoying.

13. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

This, when I worked at 24 this rule was inforced but I don't see why it would need to be in the first place.

No one wants to come to a bench press and lay on a soaking wet bench!

That just irks me. :mad:

14. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

if there are double water fountains, dont use both at the same time. jsut wait. it lowers the water pressure

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=136868

1 person likes this.
  16. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I only play basketball at the gym thats my only form of excercise....

My peeve is the the overweight gentleman that wobbles up and down the court and only shoots 3's. Rarely can this guy actualy shoot. This is an on going trend...

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I hate the group of friends. . that basically only play with each other
    and
    when they not on the same team [or in the same game] sandbag whatever team they own
    [Shooting long *ss Threes, No Defense, Staying on one end of the court, talking more to their friends on the sideline than being in the game]

The ones that think they are " " that close to the NBA
    think they are all world . . .you CAN'T block their shot or pick their pocket without fouling
    of course them taking half your arm off during their pick is QUITE OK!

Rocket River

19. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Wow, people in gyms are seriously pissy people.

You guys should lighten up a bit.

That being said, I hate the doucheface who gets on the machine right beside you when there are like 20 other machines available and then thinks he's hot **** so he pounds the machine into the ground like he's impressing everyone, then after 10 minutes he's worn himself out so he goes to hit the sauna meanwhile I continue my steady pace for another 45 minutes.

20. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

moe fails to recognize hyperbole?

my faith in humanity is shaken :(