1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Guys need Help! Ipad 2 or Samsung Galaxy Tab?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pge71188, Dec 14, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Uprising

Uprising Member

They both lack connections other honey comb have. xoom and iconia are on Clarence art staples. can grab one for under 350.

Lenovo has one with 32gb now.

2. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

I just went through this same dilemma myself, and I researched it and talked with lots of people pretty exhaustively.

For the record, I have a Samsung Galaxy SII phone, which I absolutely love. (I used to have an iPhone, but I think the Galaxy SII is a better phone for me)

Now, having said that, I got an iPad 2. While there are a number of things I liked more about the Galaxy Tab (the camera, the wide screen, the OS with customization, gadgets, etc) at the end of the day I decided the app support for tablets on the Android market was a dealbreaker for me.

From talking to people who own them and reading stuff on the Internet, I'm just not convinced that Android tablets are ready for primetime until Google figures out a better mechanism for delivering and supporting it's apps for tablets. (and until they do that, development studios are going to tend to stay away) The fact is that the best tablet apps are being developed for the iPad, love it or hate it. And this is coming from a guy that a lot of people think is an Apple hater. (I like to dig on the Apple hype machine at every opportunity)

So yeah, not so much a big deal for phones (there are exactly 2 apps I've ever wanted to get that weren't already in the Android marketplace or had a viable equivalent) but seems to be a bigger deal for the tablets.

That's my take anyway.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

4. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

Nexus Tablet.
    Might be happening .

5. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Member

Doesn't solve the apps problem.

Did you even read my post?

6. baller4life315

Given the price drop I also considered the Toshiba Thrive but ultimately couldn't get over the bulky size, average at best screen, lack of microphone (thus requiring additional equipment for video chat) and poorly placed camera (no flash, to boot).

Would rather pay the additional $100 for the Galaxy 10.1 or possibly the Transformer Prime (been reading since I last posted - like what I hear).

7. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

It won't solve it now, but I think in the future that's going to change. Especially when ICS starts hitting tablets. I may be wrong though, one thing is for sure though. Underground development is going to take off like the wind on ICS tablets but to the average consumer that doesn't matter. At least you're happy with your purchase.

8. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

I agree with you on the Thrive, thing is really bulky. I actually like that 10.1 inch Lenvo tablet but I haven't played with it in person.

Prime is amazing but that thing needs ICS to really be something else

9. Dubious

Dubious Member

Going to get ME?

Do you even understand Christmas?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Do you want one that works 10 minutes after taking it out of the box and syncing it? Ipad

Do you want one you have to root, reboot or flash just to make it bearable with 1/3 of the apps that Ipad has? Everything else.

11. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Member

I use my galaxy tab 10.1 everyday even w/o root or flash to another ROM. It does most of the stuff I already do on my phone except on a nicer large easy to see screen. Allows me to remote into my PCs at home to download media to stream to my devices. It's a great couch companion and is easy on the eyes instead of straining to look at my phone and that's coming from someone who has the galaxy nexus.

My only complaint about the galaxy tab 10.1 is that it doesn't do high profile 1080p videos. Means I can't connect a drive with my movies and take it to my parent's house for movie night OR when I'm on the road at the hotel connect it to the hotel LCD and watch movies. Also Honeycomb isn't as smooth as ICS either.

Is the Transformer Prime out yet? You should compare that to the Ipad2 since both are in the same price range. Galaxy Tab 10.1 isn't even the best android tablet out on the market anymore.

12. baller4life315

What's better? Is it just the Transformer Prime or are there others?

13. HombreDeHierro

Transformer Prime or iPad 2

nothing else

14. VesceySux

VesceySux Member

I have both tablets (as well as a few others). I use the iPad way more than I do the Tab. The Galaxy Tab is lighter and definitely more customizable, but the iOS apps ecosystem just can't be beat.

15. baller4life315

Too bad the Transformer Prime won't be available until after Christmas.

Which, let's be honest, is pretty idiotic. Sure, plenty of people will still buy it but how do you not dot your I's and cross your T's on a retail item before the holiday season?

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

I just looked at the transformer prime, holy mother, that looks pretty sweet.