1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Gustav] New Tropical Threat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by marks0223, Aug 25, 2008.

1. MoBalls

MoBalls Contributing Member

I got punked too. I have tons of water and can foods. I didnt buy wood for my windows since Im in the northwest part of town........and theyre too high.

2. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Yeah, I'm debating if we should buy wood for our windows in case this thing comes in our way...we have a lot of windows and some of them are too high as well. We live in northwest...hopefully, we won't have to worry about this hurricane by this weekend!

3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I got punked too. My whole familia bunked in my house: "Pancho, Lalo, Pepe, Lupe, Chalo, get out of the cabinets, cousin Chacho's not staying here for Rita! :eek: "

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you won't have to worry about it making landfall in texas this weekend...if it's to make landfall in texas it would be mid-week, i'm guessing. you would have to worry about the mad rush for supplies.

5. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

In Houston, 60 miles inland, hurricanes mean snapped trees, downed power lines and localized flooding. The crappy part is 36 hours of howling winds and how hot and humid it is without A/C. It's statistically not that dangerous and certainly not worth panicking like the city did for Rita, though after Katrina I don't really blame anyone for doing that.

Houston is roughly 50' above sea level, New Orleans is about 3'. The county has been doing massive amounts of flood mitigation work over the last decade.

If we do get hit, my recommendation from living through Alicia would be to have plenty of battery powered entertainment. It's can get oppressively boring.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I just looked at the noon model runs and they are coming into much better agreement all the way through day 5. The GFDL and HWRF are the two most accurate models for the most part. They did an excellent job forecasting the track of Fay and, so far, they've been pretty good with Gustav. Right now, they are right on top of each other in terms of track through day 5. NOGAPS, once the eastern most outlier, is now right next to them and the GFS has moved into alignment with them as well.

I haven't seen the noon UKMET run, but it was the southern most outlier running the storm into the Yucatan. I'd have to guess since the others have moved east, it will too.

All indications are that we'll have a seriously nasty cat 3-5 storm in the Gulf by Sunday. The GFDL and one other think it will be just southeast of New Orleans by that time, but that seems a little fast. We'll have to see.

Most of the models - at day 5 - are aiming at a landfall somewhere between the Texas/Louisiana border and the Florida panhandle. The westward shifting trend has stopped and now we're getting a bit more of a northwesterly trend - good for Texas, but not for those on the central Gulf coast.

We're still WAY too far out to make predictions on landfall. If the storm is really going to make landfall on Monday (as predicted by at least two models), it would probably be somewhere between New Orleans and Pensacola and we'll have a MUCH better idea Thursday afternoon around this time.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The danger of Rita wasn't flooding...it was high winds. I live in a neighborhood of 40 year old homes with 40 year old oak trees. I'm not sticking around to see what a Cat 4 hurricane, even after 60 miles inland, does to 40 year old trees...because we saw what Rita did to similar trees and neighborhoods in East Texas. I know people who lost everything in that storm. Roughly 25% of the trees in Beaumont were uprooted in neighborhoods. And you talk about losing power?? They lost power for 6 WEEKS in parts of Texas due to Rita. I think people downplay the effects of Rita because it didn't hit Houston...but I hate to think of what that would have looked like if it had.

The added danger of hurricanes is that they spawn off tornados. The home I grew up in had a twister hit it during Alicia. It tore huge chunks of the roof off my house and we lived in a hotel for 7 weeks.

The danger of all the media hype for something like Eduard is that it drives this backlash generated around the notions that these storms can't be dangerous. (Though the truth is Houston got it's ass kicked by a little tropical storm named Allison). The other concern is that most of talk about Alicia being a major storm...if it was, it was so marginally. The maximum GUST from Alicia was at 125 mph, and of course that was on Galveston Island. Places as far north as Lake Livingston got 120 mph winds out of Rita.

I'm not saying people should freak out everytime a storm hits the Gulf...not saying that at all...I'm not saying the media doesn't overhype small storms. But people need to recongize that the impact of a Cat 4 or greater hurricane hitting the Houston/Galveston area MIGHT be worth leaving town for...and that Alicia or any of the storms since probably aren't good analogy for that. Particularly if you're taking care of children.

8. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I drove over to Austin for Rita. I don't want to live without A/C for six hours.

9. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

I love the orange track that has the storm going east of Florida. It's as if they said, "screw it, I'm not going to do what everyone else is predicting".

[​IMG]

10. mazyar

mazyar Member

Wasn't Hurricane Bertha the first major Hurricane of the season? I hate to correct you Jeff. ;)

So far Gustav looks to be a tiny hurricane. Let's see if it will grow bigger once it goes through one of those eye replacement cycles.

11. MoBalls

Hmmmm........neighbor? There is a new young Hispanic couple that bought a 3 bedroom/single story home around the block.......I havent met them........you two?...........my peoples yet.

12. Lady_Di

umm, maybe! our house is a 3 brms/single story home...is there a good number of asians/whites in your hood?

13. SwoLy-D

It is ILLEGAL to ask that question. :eek:

EVERYONE will answer "yes", though. ;)

14. Lady_Di

Not when you live in an all mexican hood! :)

15. MoBalls

Yes....I am surrounded by them. We need more of our people in my hood.

16. Lady_Di

I'll shoot you a msg.

Sorry for derailing this thread, OP!

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

i've eliminated a bunch of neighborhoods lady_di lives at. i know that moballs said he want to that new bar place on west road.

does this neighborhood have a fountain in the middle of the neighborhood?

18. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

yes!!

19. SwoLy-D

No. Not MoBalls'. :eek:

Yes, I stalk Mo' Balls than anything else... HI-YO! :D

20. Lady_Di

Negative! You're my CF stalker now. :D