1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

gun home defense tips

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kyakko, Jan 30, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

i'm know there's alot of gun buffs here. i bought a pump action shotgun (charles daly field tactic) for home protection. i'm not quite sure what's the best way to store it and have it ready.

i live alone so there's no kids around or anything. right now, i have it strapped to the underside of my bed with 4 rounds loaded but nothing in the chamber. it's got a trigger lock and the keys are in my keychain. there's extra ammo on a shelf in my closet. it'd take about 1 minute for me to get it pumped and ready (not sure how long it'd take if i were really nervous). i also worry i might forgetfully leave the keys in another room. is that the best way? should i get a gun safe instead?

i've been to the range and read safety stuff online, but there's really nothing that tells you what's the best way to store and configure the gun in case of a home invasion. my brother keeps a glock 19 under his pillow with a full clip but uncocked. he also has a shotgun in a combination locked metal case standing right next to his bed. but, he lives in a pretty rough neighborhood.

2. Fatty FatBastard

If you feel you need to sleep next to a gun, move.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You'll shoot your eye out.

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

+1 FTW

5. Kyakko

:D i'm just a little paranoid. my brother's house has been rob twice within the last 4 years. my uncle almost got robbed recently. luckily a neighbor called the cops.
    my neighborhood's okay, but still.

6. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

I feel your concern, I keep a glock 31 with me in my trunk but it's not loaded, i actually just have the clip and the gun stored in a case and i can have it ready to fire within 7-10 seconds if i needed to, obviously i would be screwed if someone came from behind my back...i keep it with me in my car though bc i live in an apartment and figure there is a better chance of something bad happening when i'm out than when i'm inside my apt. A house would be different though.

7. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

have you considered a home alarm?

my parents home was broken into when they weren't there. the guy kicked in the backdoor...the alarm wailed....there is zero evidence he stepped in the door. nothing was taken. those alarms are so freaking loud and ear-piercing that they screw you up even when you know they're gonna go off. as my brother-in-law says, "i've never read about a family of four being murdered while the alarm was wailing in the background."

8. been_exed

been_exed Member

real men don't need guns, they use machetes :p

9. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

Best thing I can tell you is, that I keep a .380 pistol under my bed, loaded, with nothing in the chamber. Its in a pisol sleeve (case) that I zip up, but keep unlocked. If I had a intruder, I would just have to pull the hammer back and I'm good for 8 rounds.

10. Kyakko

i probably will get one. but i want something a little bit more "permanent"... for the hearing impaired thugs or something.

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

No doubt. The only houses that have ever been broken into in my neighborhood are the ones without alarms. I turn mine on every time I leave and also when I go to bed. Never had a problem.

12. rock8ts

rock8ts Member

I keep a pistolized cannon under my bed too.

13. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

OK r****ds

These are clips:

[​IMG]

These are magazines:

[​IMG]

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I hear penile implants are on discount.
    :D :p

15. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

I've been in a similar situation: just me, no kids, and no kids visiting. I kept a revolver on the floor between my bed and my nightstand. I could be up and firing literally within seconds, if need be.

I didn't worry about safes and trigger locks because there were no children around. And I mean NO children....just me....none of my friends have kids and the next youngest person in my family is my 22-year old cousin.

I also have:
    -another revolver
    -a shotgun
    -2 rifles
    -and 2 katanas and a whole mess of throwing knives. :D

16. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

You should get some ninja stars. That'd be sweet.

17. fmullegun

fmullegun Contributing Member

Or get some bowstaff skills

[​IMG]

18. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I don't have any advice for you about where to keep your gun. I keep my arsenal unloaded and locked up in a closet in another room. My advice: shoot a lot. It's one of the most fun activities invented by man (God bless the Chinese and John Browning), and being a better shot equips you to protect yourself if you need to use it.

19. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

God, this country is pathetic.

20. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Is your brother Tupac?